• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency:

Steve Smith didn't break 1000 yards until his third season. In a stunning coincidence, that happened to be the first season Jake Delhomme became the starting QB.

Smith put up good numbers for the next five seasons he was healthy. In '05, 06, and 08 he went to the pro-bowl. His numbers, though not terrible, did dip in 2007, which in a stunning coincidence happened to be the season Delhomme missed 13 games to injury.

In 2009, 34-year-old Delhomme's play started to deteriorate and he was replaced by Matt Moore towards the end of the season. In a stunning coincidence, Smith's numbers dropped off dramatically, and he failed to break 1000 yards for the first time in four years.

In 2010, Delhomme was gone and Jimmy Clauson and Moore fought for who could suck the most at QB. In a stunning coincidence, Smith's numbers dropped to career lows as a full time starter, with just 554 receiving yards and 12 yards a catch.

In 2011, Cam Newton was drafted and broke all kinds of rookie QB records. In a stunning coincidence, Smith had almost 1400 receiving yards at 17.6 yards a catch and made the pro-bowl for the first time since 2008.

Go figure.

Thanks, my typing fingers were getting a little tired. :)

I was told this a long time ago and I think it fits this particular part of the discussion

A great Receiver can make an average QB look good. Conversely a Great QB can make an average receiver look good. But it is only when you get a great QB working with a great receiver you get magic.

I was told this a long time ago and I think it fits this particular part of the discussion

A great Receiver can make an average QB look good. Conversely a Great QB can make an average receiver look good. But it is only when you get a great QB working with a great receiver you get magic.

I'm not so sure about that - maybe a great WR like a Steve Largeant or a Jerry Rice can elevate a QBs play, but there aren't many at that level. Most of the time, put an above-average to very good WR with a bad QB, and the WR's numbers will suffer.

not talking above average or very good, talking great.

I fully accept if they are not great they suffer

not talking above average or very good, talking great.

I fully accept if they are not great they suffer

I agree with you then. There's a lot of proof - Michael Irvin (was a great WR, no matter how much I hate him) made Aikman look good, Jerry Rice made Montana look good, and Steve Largeant made Zorn and Krieg look good for crying out loud!

I'm not so sure about that - maybe a great WR like a Steve Largeant or a Jerry Rice can elevate a QBs play, but there aren't many at that level. Most of the time, put an above-average to very good WR with a bad QB, and the WR's numbers will suffer.

Pretty sure Fitzgerald made Kolb and Skelton look pretty good last year, Lanky. Granted, I know Larry didn't have a stunning year (he was on my FF team so I totally know it) but he still finished 4th in the league with over 1400 yards. That sure wasn't due to great QB play and those 1400 yards sure helped make Kolb and Skelton look better than maybe they were.

Although, to be fair, this is a sample size of 1 so I wouldn't call it gospel.

Pretty sure Fitzgerald made Kolb and Skelton look pretty good last year, Lanky. Granted, I know Larry didn't have a stunning year (he was on my FF team so I totally know it) but he still finished 4th in the league with over 1400 yards. That sure wasn't due to great QB play and those 1400 yards sure helped make Kolb and Skelton look better than maybe they were.

Although, to be fair, this is a sample size of 1 so I wouldn't call it gospel.

I would but Larry Fitz at the "great" level.

Elite WRs can produce under any circumstance. Art Monk, for example. :)

However, we're not talking about first-round blue chip prospects. If we were, we'd be bemoaning our selections of Michael Westbrook or Desmond Howard.

We're talking about diamond-in-the-rough late round picks who turn into solid contributors. In those cases I think you will find they need a few years of seasoning, a solid QB to get them the ball, or both.

... though despite their pedigree I would like to point out that of the names thrown out there, not one of these guys, not Fitzgerald, Irvin, Largent, Monk or even Jerry Rice, broke 1000 yards their rookie year. WRs just don't hit the ground running like some other positions do. Those that do are by far the exception, not the rule. To complain that our late rounders aren't producing like seasoned vets during their rookie season is, in my opinion, grossly unfair to them and the front office.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.