• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency:

Skinsfan76

The Starter
Reaction score
What do you guys think we need to do with Free Agency this year? The draft is in April but before that we have a chance to patch up some holes by getting some valuable guys in key positons. Look at last year with Cofield, Bowen, Chester and even (traded for) Gaffney. Any names pop out at you guys? We have talked about Manning in several posts so we can skip him if you want, let's say for this exercise he either goes elsewhere or retires.

As of this post Rich Tandler has done some work on this also:

http://www.csnwashington.com/01/13/1...4&feedID=10376

At QB I want RG3 but I would still try to pick up Orton. I know he is not the most popular guy among the B & G but we need to upgrade at QB and when you don't count Manning or Brees he is the most viable option. Plus if we don't land RG3 we would have Orton to start until Tannehill, Osweiler or whoever is ready to go.

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tan...-for-a-wr.html

I would also look to add a WR. I know we could get one in the draft but my way of thinking is if we don't move up for RG3 I think we will try to move down to snag another QB so I don't think we will have an opportunity to get a true #1 like Blackmon. Plus look at all of the WR avaliable in Free Agency! I think people in Economics call this a surplus of merchandise which means we can get one of these guys on the cheap. I am not a fan of V. Jackson simply because he is one more strike away from a suspension and we already have a couple guys on our team that fit that bill. Colston is going back to NO, Welker is going back to NE and I cannot stand Desean Jackson or Brandon Lloyd. However, if we could land Bowe, Stevie Johnson or Manningham or Garcon could also be options. I also think Eddie Royal is a free agent, he did pretty well last time he was in the Shanahan offense I believe he had 93 catches.

http://www.csnwashington.com/blog/re...56&feedID=6355

The other position that I would try to find in Free Agency is either Cornerback or Safety. D Hall could find his way out of DC but even if he doesn't we need an upgrade at Nickel Corner. However, one could argue that we could find one of those in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft so safety might be the way to go in Free Agency. I think we are all under the impression that Landry isn't coming back and while we have decent depth at the positon we probably need a starter. Gomes and Doughty played okay but neither is probably starter materal and at least for Gomes not yet. I like Tyvon Branch out of Oakland the best out of the Safety group which is average at best.

That would leave plenty of positions to fill in the draft, including Right Tackle, maybe another interior lineman, D-Back that isn't addressed in Free Agency but hey who knows.

What do you'll think?

I think it all depends on whether Manning comes here. If Manning is here the Redskins are going to sign the Indy receivers and I think pay to acquire OL that are good pass protectors.

In the draft I would look for a WR like Blackmon or a OL if free agency isn't the answer.

If there is no Manning and the Redskins sign Orton I would think you might see Tannehill in Round 2 and more help for the OL.

I still see WR as a position of great need here.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I think it all depends on whether Manning comes here. If Manning is here the Redskins are going to sign the Indy receivers and I think pay to acquire OL that are good pass protectors.

In the draft I would look for a WR like Blackmon or a OL if free agency isn't the answer.

If there is no Manning and the Redskins sign Orton I would think you might see Tannehill in Round 2 and more help for the OL.

I still see WR as a position of great need here.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device
No trade up for RGIII?

No trade up for RGIII?

I think the chances that we at least try to move up for RG3 are very good. I have gone back and fourth on Manning but my final prediction (at least for now :)) is Manning does not come to Washington so that will leave room for us to move up for RG3.

I was criticized for it before, but I truly believe we need to wrap up a true #1 CB. Hall is not covering anyone on the edge anymore. He would make a good Nickel back if we can get him to take a paycut or restructure somehow. Carr, Webb or Grimes would be awesome.

I think we should spend on a true NT like Soliai. If he doesn't want to sign there are a couple more out there who won't command as much, like Pouha. But we really should re-sign Carriker for that defensive line and bring in one more, hopefully one of the 2 above. Jenkins is coming back, but might struggle with that knee. Gholston is gone.

I wouldn't mind seeing Zibikowski signed. He might be like one of those solid mid-tier signings we made with Bowen and Cofield last year. He is an instant upgrade over Doughty, even though I like Reed. Gomes showed promise but got burned in coverage a lot. My only fear with going after DB's from the Ravens is how much they relied on having Ed Reed back there.

We should re-sign either Monty and/or Lichtensteiger. If we could pull Carl Nicks out of New Orleans, that would be great! I just don't see any OT's out there worth grabbing. When you see Jared Gaither as the top prospect on different boards at OT, you gotta be concerned. There is a G in Houston who might fit. Should we attempt to steal Wells out of Green Bay to upgrade at C? He will be costly.

I would like to see Eddie Royal or Dwayne Bowe at WR. I won't comment on Wayne or Garcon since bringing them in would only be an option if Peyton were here.

And that brings me to QB. Matt Flynn is my first choice, but it looks like he will end up elsewhere. Kyle Orton would be a nice addition compared to what is on the current roster, but only if we get someone in the draft. Having Peyton Manning in B&G is so enticing, just not sure there is reality in it.

I was criticized for it before, but I truly believe we need to wrap up a true #1 CB. Hall is not covering anyone on the edge anymore. He would make a good Nickel back if we can get him to take a paycut or restructure somehow. Carr, Webb or Grimes would be awesome.

I think we should spend on a true NT like Soliai. If he doesn't want to sign there are a couple more out there who won't command as much, like Pouha. But we really should re-sign Carriker for that defensive line and bring in one more, hopefully one of the 2 above. Jenkins is coming back, but might struggle with that knee. Gholston is gone.

I wouldn't mind seeing Zibikowski signed. He might be like one of those solid mid-tier signings we made with Bowen and Cofield last year. He is an instant upgrade over Doughty, even though I like Reed. Gomes showed promise but got burned in coverage a lot. My only fear with going after DB's from the Ravens is how much they relied on having Ed Reed back there.

We should re-sign either Monty and/or Lichtensteiger. If we could pull Carl Nicks out of New Orleans, that would be great! I just don't see any OT's out there worth grabbing. When you see Jared Gaither as the top prospect on different boards at OT, you gotta be concerned. There is a G in Houston who might fit. Should we attempt to steal Wells out of Green Bay to upgrade at C? He will be costly.

I would like to see Eddie Royal or Dwayne Bowe at WR. I won't comment on Wayne or Garcon since bringing them in would only be an option if Peyton were here.

And that brings me to QB. Matt Flynn is my first choice, but it looks like he will end up elsewhere. Kyle Orton would be a nice addition compared to what is on the current roster, but only if we get someone in the draft. Having Peyton Manning in B&G is so enticing, just not sure there is reality in it.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. It is well documented that you are higher on Flynn than I am but hey that is why the blog is here.

As far as Tackles go you are right I just don't see one in Free Agency really worth signing. Some nice talent in the interior line just like you mentioned. I actually believe that this is a good draft class for Tackles. You think about Reiff, Martin or even Adams. Guys that could come in and play right tackle from day one and might have the ability to swing over to left tackle if Trent continues to be a knuckle head. I am under the impression we make a move for RG3 but if we miss we might try to slide back a few spots and could probably still pick up one of those guys.

Another question for free agency or the draft is RB. I think it is safe to say Hightower will return if we want him to. The question is, are we okay with that? Is Helu, Royster and Hightower a strong enough backfield for us in 2012? I hear rumblings about Peyton Hillis coming to DC to reunite with Shanahan and while I don't love Hillis a bigger back may not be a bad idea. What about dare I say Brandon Jacobs... Oh I threw up in my mouth a little bit... nevermind.

Is Helu, Royster and Hightower a strong enough backfield for us in 2012? I hear rumblings about Peyton Hillis coming to DC to reunite with Shanahan and while I don't love Hillis a bigger back may not be a bad idea. What about dare I say Brandon Jacobs... Oh I threw up in my mouth a little bit... nevermind.

No! No! An NO!!! I know he is capable of a decent game here or there, but he is one of the most over rated RB's in the NFL.

Hillis coming to DC scares me some. He has shown he can be a head case. Would he do that with Shanahan? I don't know, but it looks like his professionalism disappeared in Cleveland.

I was thinking about RB because I am not sold on Hightower's return. If healthy, he could be a decent addition to a three headed monster, but Helu and Royster have proven they are a major part of the run game in DC. Those guys balled last year.

Running back is the least of our worries - we've got plenty of talent there. I may break something if we throw even a single draft pick at RB this go round.

Running back is the least of our worries - we've got plenty of talent there. I may break something if we throw even a single draft pick at RB this go round.

What about Hillis?

What about Hillis?

Yeah - sorry - this IS a free agency thread :)

I like Hillis - although he's really only had one decent season out of four. I still think we're fairly loaded at RB, but if we do feel the need to supplement the backfield, I hope we do it through free agency.

One thing that concerns me about Hightower was the 3.8 yards per carry and that was with the starting O lineman in there. Helu had 4.2 yards per carry and that included a decrease the last game or two when he got banged up and with several backup O lineman. Also Royster's awesome 5.9 yards per carry and once again with the backups blocking for him. I know the coaching staff likes Hightower but not sure they won't try to upgrade there.

Well, I wasn't too concerned with the RB's out there because I thought we were set at that position. I just checked the FA list and if the front office feels the need to go after a RB then I'd like to see a big back like Tolbert or Bush, both of whom are rather quick/athletic for their size. If Hillis could return to the form he showed in his one tremendous season, he'd come cheaper, but Bush and Tolbert are still much more athletic than Hillis.

Also, there are a couple of FB's out there that would be upgrades over Young, even though he is getting better. Owen Schmitt catches the ball well out of the backfield and Jacob Hester played with Matt Flynn at LSU. :betterwink: :laugh:

One thing that concerns me about Hightower was the 3.8 yards per carry and that was with the starting O lineman in there. Helu had 4.2 yards per carry and that included a decrease the last game or two when he got banged up and with several backup O lineman. Also Royster's awesome 5.9 yards per carry and once again with the backups blocking for him. I know the coaching staff likes Hightower but not sure they won't try to upgrade there.

I haven't seen enough tape to know, but it's possible that our backups are better than our starters were. Cory L. was not a world beater and is on the small/weak side as guards go and our tackle play hasn't been all that great.

Now, I don't know that I would swap williams for Smith, but he might be a keeper esp. after strength work and getting his first pro-offseason. Remember, because of the lockout he was denied offseason and training camp and as an undrafted rookie probably got very, very little coaching in the sprint to get ready for the season.

This kid could make a huge jump... and wouldn't it be amazing if we could get another undrafted Joe Jacoby. Hurt really solidified our line once he was inserted and I think he deserves an honest shot in competition to be the starter.

Free agents...Orton, Hillis (as an H-back type to replace Cooley), Manningham, and maybe a right tackle, and a guard if a decent journeyman is available cheap.

We'll take care of everything else in the draft.

Resign Fred Davis, Will Montgomery and Kory Lichtensteiger

Robert Meachem or Mario Manningham, I'd rather have Dwayne Bowe, but KC will
use the FT on him most likely.

Carl Nicks as a starting OG and perhaps another for depth.

Now IF we sign Manning as our QB it would make a lot of sense signing his
center, Jeff Saturday

RT is a concern for me as well... J. Brown has been injured so RT depth is
also a must IMO.

We need a CB so, Brandon Carr and a Safety so, Tom Zbikowski.

Looks like the rumors are circulating we're going after WRs:

The Redskins need a quarterback. They also need to give him someone to throw to.

According to a Washington Post report the Redskins are going to try to address the need for a wide receiver in free agency and they will be going after some of the biggest names available.

Among the possibilities floated in the article were Vincent Jackson of San Diego and Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon of the Colts.

This is not exactly surprising news; the need at receiver is well documented and has been expressed by the team’s coaches. Jabar Gaffney led the team 947 yards receiving in 2011.

The free agent route may be the best way to go to fill the need at receiver if the Redskins do trade up in the draft to land Robert Griffin III. Such a deal would cost the Redskins multiple top draft picks, which would make it difficult to build the receiver corps via the draft. A top free agent receiver should be able to be productive immediately and would give Griffin, or whoever the Redskins’ quarterback has a reliable target.

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-ta...ins-will-pursue-top-free-agent-receivers.html

Steelers released Hines Ward. Can someone please go lock Snyder in his office?

I think after Randel el, Snyder just isnt gonna sign checks for Steelers receivers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.