• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Last WWI vet Dies at 110 years of age

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
Another era defined by those still living who have served in major wars has come to an end.

Nearly 100 years after the end of World War I, its last known veteran, Florence Green, has died at the age of 110. Her passing leaves no survivors, male or female, of the tens of millions who served in one of the greatest conflicts of the 20th century.

HITH_Florence_Green_main.jpg

Born Florence Beatrice Patterson in London on February 19, 1901, Green was just 17 when she enlisted in the newly formed Women’s Royal Air Force (WRAF) in September 1918. Created as an auxiliary branch of Britain’s Royal Air Force, the WRAF allowed women to aid the war effort by in pitching in behind the front lines and freeing up men to serve in combat. During her time with the WRAF, Green served as a waitress in the officer’s mess at two Norfolk-area bases, Narborough Aerodrome and RAF Markham. She was on active duty for the final two months of the war, until the armistice was declared on November 11, 1918.

Green spoke fondly of her wartime service, and the opportunities it afforded her, once referring to it as the “time of my life.” But it might have surprised many that Green, who suffered from a lifelong fear of flying, would choose the WRAF as her field of service. As she herself noted in an interview, “I met dozens of pilots and would go on dates. I had the opportunity to go up in a plane but I was scared of flying.”

Related Media
World War I Firsts - VideoVeterans Day: Remembering the Armistice - Photo GalleryRelated Topics
World War IGreen remained with the WRAF until July 1919. Shortly afterward, she married railway worker Walter Green, and the couple moved to King’s Lynn, Norfolk, where they raised three children. Walter died in 1975. Green remained in the area and lived with her eldest daughter until late last year when she was admitted to a local nursing home, where she passed away in February 2012. At the time of her death, she was the sixth oldest person in Britain.

It wasn’t until 2009 that Green’s role in the war and her status as one of its final survivors was revealed. After reading a Norfolk-area newspaper article on Green’s 108th birthday and her early years serving in the war, a researcher and genealogist discovered her service records in the British National Archives. Green’s standing as one of the last remaining World War I survivors was officially recognized the following year.

British-born Claude Choules, the last known World War I combat veteran, died in Australia in May 2011. In February 2011, Frank Buckles of Charles Town, West Virginia, the last known American non-combat veteran, passed away. During the war, Choules had served with the Royal Navy; Buckles was a member of the U.S. Army Ambulance Corps on the Western Front. Both were 110 at the time of their deaths. There are no known German or French survivors.

Green was two weeks shy of her 111th birthday, an event that was to have been commemorated by the RAF with a special service. Instead, the organization will be present at her funeral later this month, where her coffin will be draped with the Union Jack in honor of her wartime service.

http://www.history.com/news/2012/02/08/last-world-war-i-veteran-dies-at-the-age-of-110?cmpid=Social_Facebook_Hith_02082012_1

And so the Great War passes out of living memory. Hard to believe, and a little sad.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

So true Henry. I am lucky enough to interact with the surviving heroes from WW II whenever I go to Bethesda Medical Center (Walter Reed).

One of them I know is a tireless hard charger that does volunteer work with Navy-Marine Corps Relief.

And so the Great War passes out of living memory. Hard to believe, and a little sad.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

True that, Henry. I was very fortunate in having longevity on both my mother's and father's sides of my family. I got to know four of my eight great-grandparents and some of their equally long-lived brothers and sisters and the stories one reads about history become more "alive" and real when told by those who lived it-including the Great War of WWI in which some of those close to my great-grandparents fought and died.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.