• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Redskins considering Peyton, Flynn, Orton

Found out a short time ago that the Redskins have no interest in Orton.

sooooo.....

- no interest in Orton

- limited interest in Flynn

- no chance for Manning

where does this all lead? I swear...I'll puke if I have to watch Grossman take one more snap for another year while waiting for some second/third round draft pick with limited prospects to take the field.......the Shanahans aren't that STUPID......are they?

You have to ask yourself; is Manning, Orton, Flynn, RG3, and Luck better than either Grossman and Beck? Yes.

So, interest in all is not unreasonable, but we WILL take Orton and here is why:

1. Orton is coachable, can succeed in our system, and is better than what we have.
2. Shanahan and Allen have shown over the last 2 years that they are not willing to mortgage the future on an unsure commodity save for the whole McNabb fiasco. They won't let themselves be burned again like that.
3. They will shy away from mortgaging the future on Flynn; he is an unproven commodity (2 games is doodily squat) and Green Bay will franchise him (to make other teams bleed). It is not about the money, it is about the cost in draft picks needed to pry him away from Green Bay.
4. We will not be able to get RG3 or Luck, we won't pay the price; we still have too many holes to fill. We will improve by addressing the O-line, WR, the CB/Safety positions, and drafting depth and development in the later rounds.
5. Manning will be available, but we won't take the chance.

Bottom line is, our team will be more competitive and win more games with Orton than Grossman and will come at a reasonable price. Not mortgaging the future will allow us to address our deficiencies and improve the offense in the draft. Picking up a quality O-line player in free agency is definitely possible, and quality O-linemen are available in the draft too, especially with our 1st pick, and that is what we will use our #1 pick on. Picking up a WR in free agency is not out of the question. WRs in later rounds are available in the draft.

The only wild card in my argument is Colt McCoy.

The only way I could stomach signing Orton is if we draft a young guy take over when Orton is released the following year.

I wonder why no interest in Flynn, ffs Manning is coming off an injury that was harsh and we are hurting on the Oline.

What I've heard is that Shanallen rated him poorly coming out of college, and view his game against the Lions as an anomaly rather than the norm. Of course, they rated Beck highly out of college, so that probably means Flynn is the next Tom Brady. :tantrum:

Flynn showed promise by playing well against the Pats in 2010. After another year of learning behind Rodgers, he showed even better results against the Lions. I don't think that's an anamoly but I also can't help but wonder if he isn't a product of the system. Flynn to Miami definitely makes the most sense but I have to wonder where that leaves Matt Moore.

Last edited:
You have to ask yourself; is Manning, Orton, Flynn, RG3, and Luck better than either Grossman and Beck? Yes.

So, interest in all is not unreasonable, but we WILL take Orton and here is why:

1. Orton is coachable, can succeed in our system, and is better than what we have.
2. Shanahan and Allen have shown over the last 2 years that they are not willing to mortgage the future on an unsure commodity save for the whole McNabb fiasco. They won't let themselves be burned again like that.
3. They will shy away from mortgaging the future on Flynn; he is an unproven commodity (2 games is doodily squat) and Green Bay will franchise him (to make other teams bleed). It is not about the money, it is about the cost in draft picks needed to pry him away from Green Bay.
4. We will not be able to get RG3 or Luck, we won't pay the price; we still have too many holes to fill. We will improve by addressing the O-line, WR, the CB/Safety positions, and drafting depth and development in the later rounds.
5. Manning will be available, but we won't take the chance.

Bottom line is, our team will be more competitive and win more games with Orton than Grossman and will come at a reasonable price. Not mortgaging the future will allow us to address our deficiencies and improve the offense in the draft. Picking up a quality O-line player in free agency is definitely possible, and quality O-linemen are available in the draft too, especially with our 1st pick, and that is what we will use our #1 pick on. Picking up a WR in free agency is not out of the question. WRs in later rounds are available in the draft.

The only wild card in my argument is Colt McCoy.

it'll be awesome winning two more games next season! can't wait!!!!

it'll be awesome winning two more games next season! can't wait!!!!

I hear ya. :laugh:

I agree with the "totally tired of seeing Grossman/Beck at QB" sentiment and the idea of throwing even a super-talented rookie out in the fray without having a decent at least QB to help ease him into the world of NFL football makes me a bit nervous.

I'd honestly be more comfortable with the idea of someone like an Orton-an experienced and a not-really-terrible QB-as a guide if not mentor to get them up to speed. Even Matt Flynn has some "live action" experience even if his success is mostly due to the system and could serve in that "intro" role. So could Peyton, if we could get him at a not exhorbitant price.

I'd love to know Shanahan's thought processes about what it would take for a RG3 or even an Andrew Luck (or a Tannehill, Wilson, or whoever you might want to name) to be able to jump in and give the Redskins a fighting chance at 10+ wins and a playoff spot within two years. I think that's the make/break timeline for the Shanahans, BTW.

I hear ya. :laugh:

I agree with the "totally tired of seeing Grossman/Beck at QB" sentiment and the idea of throwing even a super-talented rookie out in the fray without having a decent at least QB to help ease him into the world of NFL football makes me a bit nervous.

I'd honestly be more comfortable with the idea of someone like an Orton-an experienced and a not-really-terrible QB-as a guide if not mentor to get them up to speed. Even Matt Flynn has some "live action" experience even if his success is mostly due to the system and could serve in that "intro" role. So could Peyton, if we could get him at a not exhorbitant price.

I'd love to know Shanahan's thought processes about what it would take for a RG3 or even an Andrew Luck (or a Tannehill, Wilson, or whoever you might want to name) to be able to jump in and give the Redskins a fighting chance at 10+ wins and a playoff spot within two years. I think that's the make/break timeline for the Shanahans, BTW.

agree....though the other thread noting Skins' interest in Manning makes me think Shanahan believes there aren't too many grains left in the HC hourglass.

What I've heard is that Shanallen rated him poorly coming out of college, and view his game against the Lions as an anomaly rather than the norm. Of course, they rated Beck highly out of college, so that probably means Flynn is the next Tom Brady. :tantrum:

LOL you beat me to it, you sonova lol, I just dont know why these guys are acting like stooges. what I do know is that if we dont take a QB early we damn well better be getting Oline. preferably a probowl guard or at least whoever the best tackle left is. although I woldnt be averse to a great corner if one drops.

Pete Prisco has rated the top 100 FAs (in his estimation) and has Flynn placed at number 35. Orton is not rated. Ouch and ouch.

Orton is a water-treading move. He's a place-holder. A marginal player that can win 9 games with a team around him. Yes, that's an improvement over Grossman but that's not saying much.

If we really want to move beyond being an 8-9 win team we need someone better. I don't have anyone specific in mind, but the longer we wait the longer it will take to actually move this team past average. If we want a young guy I'd prefer to get him now so he has time to develop while the team is still rebuilding. I don't want to wait three years to build a team and THEN wait another few years while our young QB finds his game. I think that's a bad plan.

Orton is a water-treading move. He's a place-holder. A marginal player that can win 9 games with a team around him. Yes, that's an improvement over Grossman but that's not saying much.

If we really want to move beyond being an 8-9 win team we need someone better. I don't have anyone specific in mind, but the longer we wait the longer it will take to actually move this team past average. If we want a young guy I'd prefer to get him now so he has time to develop while the team is still rebuilding. I don't want to wait three years to build a team and THEN wait another few years while our young QB finds his game. I think that's a bad plan.

couldn't have said it any better!....:claps:

Agreed. I really can't believe people are espousing Ortman as a viable option as anything other than a backup, and in that case just keep Grossman b/c he knows the offense already. Orton had one of the better defenses this season, and could not get the job done at all.

No doubt that Orton is a stop gap guy. However he is a solid upgrade over Grossman why not bring him in until our rookie is ready. If we land RG3 we probably wouldn't need Orton but we can't keep waiting on drafting our QB. Shanahan has found a QB in this draft he thinks he can turn into a winner.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.