• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Super Bowl Menu

riggins44

The Franchise Player
Reaction score
I am starting to nail down my Super Bowl menu. Will just be my family, but still enjoy good food for the game.

My wife wants me to do a variety of wings again. I would like to see what culinary plans others have. It may inspire me to do something different.

Wife wants to do pizza and chowder. That may be too weird a combo for me, haven't decided. I am going to push for wings, to be sure.

She's not a clam fan. I think she was muttering about potatoes and cheese or something.

Will not be watching the game, but we will be making Super Bowl foods and enjoying them with a couple movies.

Bacon-wrapped jalapenos with cream cheese (mostly because I already have bacon and cream cheese from another recipe I'm making this week)
Spicy orange bison meatballs
Crispy wings
Cornbread

Pepto Bismol

The Bellicheat/Goober Manning Fawn Fest promises to make keeping anything down, unpleasant.

Maybe, if we do eat, I'll make some 15 bean soup, with a big ole hunk of ham cut up in it. That way I can fight back with some hot air of my own. ;)

Oh, and cornbread.

And beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking pulled pork with a home made BBQ sauce, at this point. My brother did a Boston butt in a crock pot while we were home for Christmas that was out of this world and I'm thinking it is prime Super Bowl food. Through in some cold slaw and/or potato salad and I think we are good.

Oh, and homebrew of course. :)

I'm not sure. Open for suggestions and ideas though.

I'm thinking pulled pork with a home made BBQ sauce, at this point. My brother did a Boston butt in a crock pot while we were home for Christmas that was out of this world and I'm thinking it is prime Super Bowl food. Through in some cold slaw and/or potato salad and I think we are good.

Oh, and homebrew of course. :)

Boston butt in a crock pot? That sounds pretty blasphemous for a Texan! ;)

I haven't decided yet. I usually do lots of appetizers, including a 7 layer tex-mex dip. Also looking for some inspiration :)

Things really changed yesterday. Every Super Bowl Sunday, the church I attend has "Shut In" day. Various members visit shut-ins after morning service and have lunch with them and watch the game later on. This year, it is being done somewhat differently.

Since I am considered something of a shut-in, about a dozen or so will visit tomorrow. We'll have our own little service in the morning and that is following breakfast treats and items. Then we'll have lunch, supper, watch the game, etc. Sounds like we'll be feasting on hoagies, sub sandwiches, pizza, burgers, BBQ ribs, chicken, vegetable trays, various side dishes, and various deserts. I'll get back to my healthy regimen on Monday. :)

Glad that my cleaning gal comes on Thursdays! Really looking forward to Super Bowl Sunday now - even if it is with a bunch of Eagles fans and a couple of Giants fans.

Boston butt in a crock pot? That sounds pretty blasphemous for a Texan! ;)

And if I were a Texan it might be blasphemous. Luckily, I am a native son of The Commonwealth living in Texas and as such, I am free to exercise my right to use common sense and good judgement. That pulled pork out of the crock pot was the best I have ever had and, living in Texas for over 20 years now, I have had a whole lot of it. :)

Sounds like you are in for a good time there Burner.

We are Deep frying a marinated Duck for starters.

Here's a recipe that you all will love, well probably not the allah and hey thats not kosher demographics. :D

1 pound of Bacon
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of flour
2 Tsp of black pepper

shake all in a ziplock bag

Bake at 400 degree for 15 to 20 minutes then post your scale of yummy-ness after eating it. :)

Last edited:
Keeping it old-school today. Made my tex-mex dip yesterday (a broiler pan full of it). Layers include:

refried beans with garlic
sour cream with taco seasoning added
chopped green chilis
chopped green onions
chopped cilantro
salsa
chunked fresh avocado
chopped roma tomatoes w/salt/pepper
topped with lots of shredded mexican cheese mix

Serve with tortilla chips

Also doing some wings (btw - if you haven't tried Tabasco's new 'Tabasco w/Garlic' marinade, it is really nice, perfect as a wing marinade).

So the pork shoulder is in the slow cooker. Here is what I ended up doing to it.

Yesterday I applied a rub of fresh ground black pepper, fresh ground mustard, paprika, brown sugar, kosher salt, garlic power, onion powder and a dash of cayanne pepper. Once the rub was on the meat, I wrapped it tightly in cling wrap and put it in the fridge overnight.

This morning I took it out as soon as I got up to let the whole thing warm up to room temp.

An hour later I mixed up a bottle of Coke, a half cup of BBQ sauce, a diced sweet onion, six cloves of garlic - pressed, a tablespoon of mustard, a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, a teaspoon of chili powder and a dash of Liquid Smoke. This mixture went into the slow cooker over the pork shoulder and the heat got set on low.

Later today I will make homemade BBQ sauce for the sandwiches.

Sounds good Neo - you must have a big ol' crock pot to hold that bad boy. May have to try that at some point. How long will you cook it?

Emily made an absolutely divine potato - bacon chowder, and I made some vegetarian sushi (cause what says Super Bowl like sushi?). We have some Queso Dip on tap, deviled eggs, lemon pepper and asian-orange wings, homemade baked beans and more.

Can't wait!

Sounds good Neo - you must have a big ol' crock pot to hold that bad boy. May have to try that at some point. How long will you cook it?

To be honest, I am not sure how big the crock pot is, Boone. I have 5 and half lbs of pork shoulder (bone in) in there, plus the coke mix and there is still room. We did a 7 lb Boston butt on my folks crock pot at Christmas although my brother had to cut the meat in half to get it in there.

I'm planning on doing it about 7 hours or so, turning it over once every hour.

Here is a shot of it at the moment.

Attachments

• DSC03308.jpg
    DSC03308.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 107
The day-long gathering started early this morning - I had a cinnamon roll and some oj to start. Just had some lunch - everything is on two tables, buffet style. Some are taking a nap at the moment. Some are playing games. Some are watching a movie. I'm on the computer. :)

Peace and quiet. The cat is dead asleep, lol. I won't see him until mid-day tomorrow - guaranteed. :yawnee:

Got about three days of leftovers - just glad that a lot of people took food with them. May share some with neighbors - back to the healthy diet by Wednesday. It was a lot of fun though.

How did your day go? How was the food? Look forward to hearing your stories.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.