• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Shanahan on franchise QB's

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
This article by Rich Campbell just appeared on the Washington Times site. Shanny offers some thoughts-and perhaps some insights-on his thinking concerning franchise QBs.

By Rich Campbell

January 25, 2012, 08:46AM

ShareMOBILE, Ala. | The Redskins' search for a franchise quarterback is, perhaps, the main storyline in the ongoing narrative about coach Mike Shanahan's tenure. (It might be surpassed only by his assumption of control of the roster from the owner and other influences.) It certainly drives the narrative of the franchise's history dating from it's last Super Bowl win 20 years ago Thursday.

Shanahan was asked after Tuesday's practice how strongly he is keying on the six quarterbacks here at the Senior Bowl given the team's need for one. His response did not break new ground, but as we proceed through this offseason in which the quarterback position is again the main focus, it helps to know the latest about Shanahan's mindset on the topic.

"I think everybody wants a franchise quarterback," he said. "If you don’t have a franchise quarterback and you say you’re not looking for one, then you usually won’t be working very long. Everybody wants that guy. People that usually do have that guy are consistently winning. You’re always looking for that guy, but it’s easier said than done."

What stood out to me is the "easier said than done" part at the end of his comment. Of course he wants a Tom Brady or Drew Brees or Jay Cutler to speed up this building process.

But we know Shanahan is not going to settle for a quarterback in which he does not believe. It's why the Redskins repeatedly traded down in the 2011 draft.

The alternative to settling on a quarterback Shanahan doesn't believe in is to continue to fortify the supporting cast. The Redskins could help whoever plays quarterback in 2012 and make the total product better by addressing needs at receiver, offensive line and running back. Keep that in mind as the pre-draft process plays out.

Article link:http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2012/jan/25/shanahan-finding-franchise-quarterback-easier-said/

The theory of providing a good supporting cast works IF you have a solid, but not spectacular quarterback, who can limit turnovers and be a smart game manager.

Alex Smith was that for the 49ers in 2011.

The Redskins, though, don't have that kind of player. So, forget franchise qb for a moment.

To even get to the point we can have a system built around a merely solid signal-caller, we still need to make a major move via trade or free agency.

Because that player is not Rex Grossman or John Beck.

I said this in another thread but Weeden is having a great Senior Bowl week.

The theory of providing a good supporting cast works IF you have a solid, but not spectacular quarterback, who can limit turnovers and be a smart game manager.

Alex Smith was that for the 49ers in 2011.

The Redskins, though, don't have that kind of player. So, forget franchise qb for a moment.

To even get to the point we can have a system built around a merely solid signal-caller, we still need to make a major move via trade or free agency.

Because that player is not Rex Grossman or John Beck.

yup!!!!!!!!!!!

I said this in another thread but Weeden is having a great Senior Bowl week.

I'm looking hard at Weeden. Despite his age, he's attracting a lot of attention and positive commentary-I wouldn't be surprised to see his mock draft stock to start rising pretty dramatically especially if the price for a Flynn or RG3 (or Peyton?) starts looking way too expensive for some teams in the Great Quarterback Hunt.

On a related note, it has been reported that the Redskins folks spent a bit more than the usual amount of time talking to very talented but size-challenged Wisconsin QB Russel Wilson.

In anticipation of the Redskins drafting a quarterback in April, I would think that most Washington fans have their fingers crossed and their Superman socks on–hoping that Mike Shanahan covets Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III just as much as they do.

Although Griffin may not be eligible for the Senior Bowl–where Shanahan and his staff are coaching the South squad–the Redskins still have their feelers out for any and all potential quarterback prospects. Because let’s face it, bringing back Rex Grossman has to be Shanny’s least-supported idea.

According to Charlie Campbell, who is covering the Senior Bowl live in Mobile, AL, the Redskins started recruiting efforts early.

The Washington Redskins held a long meeting with Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson on Sunday night. They spent more time with Wilson than a typical player interview, so that could indicate some interest on the Redskins part. Wilson would be a good fit in Mike Shanahan’s offense, and he could be targeted on the third day of the 2012 NFL Draft. Wilson’s lack of size (5-10, 203), was as advertised. It wouldn’t be surprising if Washington acquires a veteran quarterback while developing Wilson to see if he can overcome the lack of height through good grooming and coaching.

My originals thoughts of Russell Wilson were similar to that of Doug Flutie. Although very much undersized, Wilson is a very good passer and he can make plays with his feet. But you’d be lying if you said that his listed 5’10 height doesn’t concern you just a little bit.

Article link: http://www.betbigdc.com/2012/01/redskins-hangin-out-with-qb-russell-wilson/

Alex Smith is nothing special - in fact, Rex Grossman did what Alex Smith could not - led his stingy defense to the superbowl.

no no no! 5'10"????? are you kidding me?

I said size-challenged. :laugh:

Needless to say, I find his diminutive stature a bit off-putting myself-hell, I'm concerned about RG3's actual size and he's about two or three inches taller than Wilson!

I really like the idea of Weeden....and could care less about his age. He played right up to Luck when they faced off.

Drafting Weeden and Blackmon could pay off HUGE dividends, if they can maintain the chemistry they displayed in college.

too funny...when I raised the prospect of Weeden two weeks ago it was resoundingly disapproved.

I'll be honest I was not at all interested in Weeden. The Senior Bowl practices have changed my mind.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

too funny...when I raised the prospect of Weeden two weeks ago it was resoundingly disapproved.

When the other option is a 36 year-old Peyton Manning, 28 year-old Brandon Weeden doesn't seem so bad. ;)

Like I've always maintained, this will change daily based on senior bowl, combine, etc. One of the infinite amount of reasons to not stress about draft order. :)

I don't follow college football at all but I'd rather not see us draft either a 28 year-old or a guy who's 5' 10" to be our QB of the future.

Personally, I don't care if he's 97 years old, and only 4 ft tall.

If the mother ****er can find the open receiver and get him the ball in an orderly fashion, then you sign him.

I just don't think a QB under 6 ft is going to make it in the NFL. Brees is right at 6 ft but makes the fastest decision of any QB in the NFL. Which is why he doesn't have every ball batted down. If Moore or Wilson can have that quick release and make those quick decisions then you still have to worry about the fact that Moore doesn't seem to have the arm strength and Wilson is 5 ft 10 in trying to play in the NFL where defensive lineman average 6 ft 4 in. I wouldn't touch either one of them. Weeden is growing on me a little but I still like some of the other QBs in the draft better.

Personally, I don't care if he's 97 years old, and only 4 ft tall.

If the mother ****er can find the open receiver and get him the ball in an orderly fashion, then you sign him.

Sure.

However, if we are talking about QB prospects, about guys we want to develop into The Face of This Franchise For The Next Fifteen Years, you don't pick a guy that can't see over his linemen and you don't pick a guy that will be 43 in fifteen years.

You want to roll the dice on a late round pick with a guy like that and hope he's the exception to the rule, great. I'm fine with that.

But don't make him The Guy. Don't build the team around him, because more likely than not he won't work out, even if he did look good during some random week after the season ended.

Sure.

However, if we are talking about QB prospects, about guys we want to develop into The Face of This Franchise For The Next Fifteen Years, you don't pick a guy that can't see over his linemen and you don't pick a guy that will be 43 in fifteen years.

You want to roll the dice on a late round pick with a guy like that and hope he's the exception to the rule, great. I'm fine with that.

But don't make him The Guy. Don't build the team around him, because more likely than not he won't work out, even if he did look good during some random week after the season ended.
Not saying it would be my first choice. I realize the exceptions are few. All I'm saying is, I want a good, if not great QB. And his size won't be important.

If our franchise QB happens to be 6-6, 245 lbs, with 4.2 speed, and can throw the ball from goal post to goal post, consistently knocking the wings off of flies, so be it.

I'll find a way to live with it. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.