• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Future of Hightower ?

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
Havn't heard his name mentioned at all in reference to 2012.
What's the forecast on Hightower's future as a Skin ?

Is he bumped out, due to the emergence of the rookies ?
Is his injury serious enough that he won't be expected to make a solid recovery, and be considered expendable as a result ?
Or will he be able to compete for a starting job ?
Or end up a backup ?
Trade bait ?

Well, he is a free agent so "trade bait" is not really an option. I think there is a chance that he is back. He is a great teammate along with a great locker room guy. I would think that Shanahan would want to add a bigger RB to his committee so that wouldn't help Hightower but since he has a torn ACL we probably have quiet a bit of time before we have to make that decision. If we get Peyton Hillis (a rumor I keep hearing) in free agency or even a Brandon Jacobs (I hope not) or how about Michael Bush? They could also pick up someone in the draft. Then we don't really need Hightower. However, I think Shanahan likes him and coming off the injury so he I think the chances are better than not that he is back. I think if he does come back he would be our 3rd down back, great blitz pickup and catches the ball well.

I like Hightower and he seemed to fit the system well. Most times though a player can come back after an ACL injury the next season but it takes two years to get back to pre injury form. My guess is we probably move on. We have other guys on the team with the same skill set. Helu and Royster both had better yards per carry numbers. Royster had a 5.9 average!

Our RB situation is the least of my worries honestly. I definitely don't want to see us drop big cash in free agency in this area. I've always liked Michael Bush and I think he could fit the system but I just don't think it's necessary.

Thanks, didn't know he was a FA.
At the same time, I can't believe we made a trade for a guy, for just one year !

They did the same thing with both McNabb and Brown only having a year left on their contracts? Makes not sense to me either trading away draft pick/s for players for only 1 year, while trying to rebuild the team!!!!

i dont think we gave up a pick for hightower... didn't we trade tha old guy can't remember his name rite now ...umm vonnie holiday , i think it was a straight trade!

I think they'll see how he progresses in rehab... if he looks good he may be a part of the team as our veteran presence in the backfield... You know how Shanahan is, he'll have a whole stable of RBs, with Sellers probably on his way out there is no veteran in that group as of now. With Helu and Royster there, they have no pressure and can allow him to contribute as little or as much as he can until he gets healthy. Seemed to fit in with the new crowd pretty well from where I was standing. I hope he can accept a "role" on the team and I hope to see him back.

It was Vonnie Holiday & a 2012 pick. Not sure what pick though, possibly a conditional pick.

It was Vonnie Holiday & a 2012 pick. Not sure what pick though, possibly a conditional pick.

It is conditional so I wonder if that means we don't have to give up as much because of his injury, a 6th or 7th instead of a 4th or 5th. Because every article I have seen simply says a conditional late round pick.

It is conditional so I wonder if that means we don't have to give up as much because of his injury, a 6th or 7th instead of a 4th or 5th. Because every article I have seen simply says a conditional late round pick.

Tandler says it's a 6th.

In the course of a calendar year, Ryan Torain went from being the Redskins’ leading rusher to being an ex-Redskin.

The fall was not really as rapid as it sounds. There were hints that Mike Shanahan was not set on having Torain as the team’s workhorse back when the Redskins drafted Roy Helu and Evan Royster in April. The handwriting on the wall became even clearer shortly after the lockout ended and the Redskins traded away defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday and a conditional draft pick (turned out to be a sixth) for Tim Hightower.

more....

http://www.csnwashington.com/12/28/11/Handwriting-clearly-on-wall-for-Torain/landing_redskins_talk.html?blockID=620272&feedID=6355

Hightower doesn't have playmaking ability.

At age 27 I don't see much upside for him here rehabbing from the type of injury he suffered.

Helu and Royster may be #2 and #3 backs in an ideal sense, which means the team is still looking for a #1 tailback with a combination of skills.

Doesn't sound like Hightower.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

At age 27 I don't see much upside for him here rehabbing from the type of injury he suffered.

Helu and Royster may be #2 and #3 backs in an ideal sense, which means the team is still looking for a #1 tailback with a combination of skills.

The problem I have with this is his blitz pickup and blocking ability-something not all that common in RBs-and a feature I'd hate to lose. It was the only qualm I had about losing Portis and with Hightower I'd be reluctant to lose it again.

First Redskins rookie RB to run for 3-straight 100+ yard games, and also sets the Redskins reception record and you think he's a #2 back? Well sir, I think you are crazy. :)

First Redskins rookie RB to run for 3-straight 100+ yard games, and also sets the Redskins reception record and you think he's a #2 back? Well sir, I think you are crazy. :)
I thought the same thing. One thing I noticed about him this year, was that our coaching staff was apparently terrible at talent evaluation, since it was so deep in the season, and only dues to injuries that he even got a shot.

I was thinking while watching him play, that we finally had gotten another top RB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.