• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Packers “unlikely” to use franchise tag on Flynn

BGO

Two weeks ago, a stellar, record-setting performance from Packers backup quarterback Matt Flynn sparked speculation that the Packers could use the franchise tag on the free-agent-to-be, in order to prevent him from hitting the open market in March. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Packers are “unlikely” to do so. Though they have several…
b.gif

More...

Moved to the NFL forum for all of you salivating over the prospect of Flynn in Burgundy and Gold.

There are people salivating at the prospect of a QB who looks like the real deal? :insane:

Just like I have been saying for the last two weeks or so. <Tries not to break arm while patting self on back>

Too, he will be in Cleveland. <Will not try to shoot self in foot if wr, wro, wr - mistaken>

Redskins fans are salivating over the QB flavor of the month? INCREDIBLE!

why isnt Yates getting the same kind of love?

I'll offer my opinion on this one, Mike. Yates is the QB of a team that has a support system on both offense and defense that can make even an average QB look very good. I daresay that if the Texans were somehow to grab someone like Flynn, or RG3 or Luck-or if they by some happenstance could have gotten Cam Newton last year you'd be looking at the prohibitive favorite to win the SB. Yates isn't a bad QB but he's is the least powerful element of a potentially very strong team.

Think of the 49ers who are similar in that an upgrade from Alex Smith would likely make them downright scary-I think the same perspective could mostly be applied to the Texans.

I'll offer my opinion on this one, Mike. Yates is the QB of a team that has a support system on both offense and defense that can make even an average QB look very good.
I only wish their backup was still Rex Grossman.

arent the Packers full of a great support system on both sides too?
Absolutely not. Their #32 defensive ranking, and their miserable performance against the Giants confirm they are without a doubt an offense only team.

arent the Packers full of a great support system on both sides too? Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Finley, etc. He took a team with a banged up Johnson and Foster and missing Williams on the other side and led them to the playoffs as a rookie in a division they've never won.

Houston's defense is better than the Packers by a wide margin. Hell, the Redskins pass D is better than the Packers pass D by a noticeable amount. One thing about the Packers in recent years, if they get ahead and have the lead going into the fourth quarter you pretty much have lost the game-the same in reverse, they are a poor come-from-behind team trailing in the fourth quarter. They happened to run into probably the best fourth quarter QB in the league right now-Eli. They also played flat and had an astounding number of turnovers but I expected them to have a hard time with the Giants.

Houston had a tougher D, serious weapons on offense and, more importantly, a more balanced and dangerous pass/run mix than the Packers. They also, however, had no turnovers against the Bengals while Yates had 3 INTs against a very nasty secondary playing the Ravens. Yates isn't a poor QB but it takes someone a notch better to be successful against a D like the Ravens even with a good support system. Like I mentioned, I think Yates is to the Texans as Smith to the 49ers-Smith is a bit better than Yates, IMO, but neither is close to what I'd call elite level. Serviceable, and you can win with them but not elite

The Packers have their elite QB-the Texans don't...yet. If they do anytime soon, watch out.

Woodson, Raji, Matthews and Hawk arent a good support system...ok. well, Im done when thats the logic here.

Mike, a good defensive support system, regardless of how good individual players may be, does not give up more yardage and points per game than most everybody else in the league.

Yeah, if Barkley had declared the Redskins nation would be coming apart at the seams. :yikes::laugh:

IMHO, with the Packers offensive Coord now the head coach of the Dolphins, Flynn may follow him to Miami.

Heard a rumor that Philbin likes Manning more than Flynn...says a lot IMO.

Heard a rumor that Philbin likes Manning more than Flynn...says a lot IMO.

I mentioned this a few days ago. If Philbin doesn't want Flynn, then there is something there. Who would have a better read on his ability than Philbin?

I wouldn't read too much into a supposed lack of interest by Philbin. Teams are tossing out whatever through their closest media friends via "un-named sources" and the like. Heck, we've been linked to Manning, Luck, RG3, Tannehill, Flynn, Orton, and Henne (ok, just seeing if you are paying attention).

Coach Shanahan is a sly dealer and we'll probably hear about a ton of different scenarios affecting several teams. I'm sure Philbin is interested in Flynn, but the Browns may have a thing or two to say about it. And there is a chance that Shanahan is interested too.

We'll see what happen, but it is fun to speculate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.