• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Most Memorable Divisional Playoff Performance

What was your Most Memorable Redskins Divisional Playoff Performance?

• 1972 - Redskins defeat the Green Bay Packers 16-3

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 1982 - John Riggins 185 yards rushing on 37 attempts

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 1983 - Redskins defeat the Los Angeles Rams 51-7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1986 - Redskins defeat Defending Super Bowl Champions Chicago Bears 27-13

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 1987 - Darrell Green’s 52 yard punt return for a TD

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • 1991 - Fans at RFK showering the field with seat cushions

• Other

• Total voters

fuji869

The Rookie
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Time for a follow up to last week’s “Most memorable Redskins Wild Card Performance” with the Most Memorable Divisional Playoff Performance.

•1972 - Redskins defeat the Green Bay Packers 16-3 for their first playoff win in 29 years.
•1982 - John Riggins 185 yards rushing on 37 attempts in defeating the Minnesota Vikings 21-7.
•1983 - Redskins defeat the Los Angeles Rams 51-7 in most lopsided post season win in franchise history.
•1986 - Redskins are 6.5 point underdogs and go into Soldier Field with several injured player and defeat the Defending Super Bowl Champions Chicago Bears 27-13 . The Chicago Tribune head lined in there sports section that moring “Bears Ready - If Redskins Show up”
•1987 - Darrell Green’s 52 yard punt return for a TD to help defeat the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field for the Second Season in a row in the playoffs, 21-17.
•1991 - Gerald Riggs’s 1 yard TD run in the 4th quarter to put the Redskins up 24-7 over the Atlanta Falcons witch was followed the fans at RFK showering the field with seat cushions.

Note - In 1982 was not a divisional playoff round but an NFC Semi Finals. Due to a strike shorten season the NFL Seeded the Top 8 Teams in each conference and went to a 16 Team / 4 Round Playoffs.

Hard to choose. I picked Darrell Green's punt return because he didn't return kicks very often so you knew it was important if Gibb's put him back there.

Second choice for me would be Riggins running all over people.

Hard to choose. I picked Darrell Green's punt return because he didn't return kicks very often so you knew it was important if Gibb's put him back there.

Second choice for me would be Riggins running all over people.

Yeah that Vikings game was awesome!

And those Chicago games were great!

But, I am gonna go with the Seattle loss in 2005 when I went to the game with a broken arm...NOT!!! :laugh:

While I didn't attend the 1972 game (my parents did), I remember listening to it on the radio. The Packers had two great running backs in John Brockington and MacArthur Lane but not much of a passing game. George Allen crossed up Green Bay by using a 5-man Defensive front instead of the traditional 4-man front. He utilized three DT's; Diron Talbert, Bill Brundige and Manny Sistrunk and depended on Mike Bass and Pat Fisher to mostly single cover the Green Bay receivers. He brought the safeties up to help in run support and snuff out the screens.

It worked like a charm. The potent Packer rushing attack was snuffed out and all they could muster was a single Chester Marcol FG.

Very memorable for me because it was the Skins' very first playoff appearance of my lifetime. That season was the one that made this a lifelong passion for me.

I'm goin with the Tampa game, where we beat the Bucs IN TAMPA.
Maybe cuz it's the only playoff game I've been to in person, and we beat a team who had become an arrogant rival.

That was a Wild Card game. :betterwink:

But I was there too and it was pretty frickin' awesome, especially when they made the correct call this time when Gruden challenged incompletion in the endzone that would have given them the lead. Sweet revenge!

Riggins 185 yard performance, because I was there. Then again all our playoff wins have been memorable.

Riggins 185 yard performance, because I was there. Then again all our playoff wins have been memorable.

I was also at that game, as well as EVERY home and postseason game that year. LOVED Riggo's bow to the crowd and the game-ending chants of "We Want Dallas". Ahhhhh....GOOD TIMES! :cheers:

Darrell Green's punt return for a TD against the Bears at Soldier Field was one of the great moments in Redskins history. I still get chills watching that highlight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.