A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Helmet Fletcher Wins Bart Starr Award

For Immediate Release
    January 11, 2012

LONDON FLETCHER TO BE NAMED BART STARR AWARD WINNER

ASHBURN, Va. – Athletes in Action announced today that linebacker London Fletcher will be honored with the 2012 Bart Starr Award, which recognizes one NFL player for outstanding character and leadership in the home, on the field and in the community. Other finalists for the award were Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha and Dallas Cowboys tight end Jason Witten.

Fletcher will be honored during the 25th Annual NFL-Sanctioned Super Bowl Breakfast, presented by Bob and Kathy Andersen and Companies with a Mission, on Feb. 4, 2012, at 8 a.m. ET at the Exposition Hall of the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis (1202 East 38th Street).

In his 14th year in the NFL, Fletcher, one of the Redskins’ captains, has been active in charitable projects across the country. He founded the London’s Bridge Foundation in 2003, through which he has impacted underprivileged children in his hometown of Cleveland, as well as Washington, D.C., Buffalo, N.Y., and Charlotte, N.C. The foundation runs mentoring programs and charitable giving to support health and fitness, education and leadership programs. He has been involved in the Redskins’ Harvest Feast, the “Stuff a Backpack” School Supply Drive, The Children’s Inn and visits to Walter Reed Army Medical Center, among many other projects.

The winner of the Bart Starr Award is voted by NFL players and is named after NFL Hall of Famer Bart Starr. The award honors the player who best exemplifies Starr’s commitment to family, teammates and the community. Past winners include Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, LaDainian Tomlinson, Darren Woodson, Reggie White and Mike Singletary. Fletcher is the second member of the Redskins to receive the honor, following in the footsteps of Pro Football Hall of Fame cornerback Darrell Green, who won the award in 1997.

Earlier in the week, the NFL announced that Fletcher, a second-team All-Pro selection by the Associated Press in 2011, will appear in his third consecutive Pro Bowl after amassing a league-leading 166 tackles this season, his highest single-season total since the NFL began independently tracking tackle data in 2001.

The Redskins coaching staff credited Fletcher with 209 tackles (123 solo) for the season, matching his career-high for coach-awarded tackles, established as a member of the Buffalo Bills in 2002.

In addition, Fletcher also added 1.5 sacks, 14 quarterback pressures, 11 passes defensed, three forced fumbles and two interceptions.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Class act all the way! Congratulations London Fletcher, you deserve recognition for the work you do, although I would imagine you probably don't need it.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Well deserved. Yet another reason to re-sign him. I have a feeling he'll make a good coach someday if he chooses that path.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Well deserved. Yet another reason to re-sign him. I have a feeling he'll make a good coach someday if he chooses that path.
    My sentiments, exactly.
    0 0 0 0

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

A well deserved recognition. One interesting sign of this is that no matter who is commenting on televised Redskins games or what preferences they do or do not seem to have, London always receives the high praise from them as a football player. I'd love to see him as a coach-not just for the experience he can pass on but for the example he sets.
    0 0 0 0

I'm giving it a 2-4 year window. Looking for improvement in all areas. Redskins, you're on the clock.

User Tag List