• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Robert the 3rd

LoyalSkinsFan

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So, with all I'm reading about the upcoming draft, clearly I would love to see Andrew Luck in burgundy and gold. Not gonna happen, though.

Next up seems to be Robert Griffin III. I haven't seen much of this guy...and most of the highlights I can pull up on youtube seem to focus on his running ability. I'm a pretty traditionalist kind of guy....I REALLY prefer a smart pocket passer with the ability to avoid the rush from time to time....a la Luck, Brady, Brees, etc, etc, etc. I tend to cringe at the prospect of guys modeled after Vick or Cam Newton. Anybody have any insight into this guy for me? Having a difficult time forming much of an opinion based on what I've seen. Can the guy play the pocket passer role?

I did hear him in a radio interview once......have to say, he sounded EXTREMELY mature and well spoken. Much more so than Campbell ever did.

Anybody?

Thanks....in advance.

I just hope we don't trade up for either one... it would cost us too much, we need our picks. If he's there at #6 and they believe he's our future then take him, I believe he's gonna be better than Cam...or if another team wants to unload picks to us for him then GREAT. I'm kinda getting on the Matt Flynn wagon myself... that way with our 1st pick, we can go BPA between WR, OT or CB. If Justin Blackmon is available at #6 then I bet we waste no time sending the commish to the podium.

What if we can't trade up, Luck and RG3 are gone quickly, and we're sitting at #6 with Blackmon on the board. Then some team below us offers an interesting deal with additional picks so they can move up for Blackmon. Do we take him or the deal?

What if we can't trade up, Luck and RG3 are gone quickly, and we're sitting at #6 with Blackmon on the board. Then some team below us offers an interesting deal with additional picks so they can move up for Blackmon. Do we take him or the deal?

It is my belief that Blackmon will go 3rd overall after Griffin & Luck. Either that, or the Rams will stay put and take him at 2nd overall. He is that good of a WR prospect!

It is my belief that Blackmon will go 3rd overall after Griffin & Luck. Either that, or the Rams will stay put and take him at 2nd overall. He is that good of a WR prospect!

Makes sense to me too. WR is a huge issue for the Rams.

Here is exactly what I DON'T want to happen but I fear could....

1. Luck
2. Kalil
3. Blackmon
4. Griffin
5. Claiborne
6. Trent Richardson is probably the BPA and nobody wants to trade up to get him. :twitch:

As for LSF's question...I have seen Griffin several times this season and have seen him stand in the pocket and make some incredible throws. The thing is...the guy is gonna be a rookie so why not take advantage of his talents. He throws well on the run and he's a threat to run. You do what you have to do to keep the defense off-balance, especially when you KNOW teams are gonna blitz a rookie on 3rd and long. Looking at our schedule for 2012, we face some VERY formidible defenses. Do you really want him standing in the pocket all that often?

Sure, he can do it from time to time but you don't wanna get him killed.

It all depends on FA signings too...the Rams could be big spenders...

To Riggins44, imho if Blackmon or anybody is there at #6 and a team wants him enough to give fair value or hopefully has "Ditka Love" for him and we get a boatload of picks..dreaming.

Loyal - RGIII is one of the most accurate passers I've seen in recent memory. It doesn't matter if he's in the pocket, being dragged down by a defender, or on the run - the guy can put the ball in a tight space and has a very quick release. He's not Michael Vick - even when he does break off a run, he's looking to pass until he has no other option.

On top of his physical skills - he's a total class act, humble as hell, a team first kind of a guy, and is as smart as they come. Thing I like most about him is he's clearly self-motivated.

Add all that together, he's a future star if you ask me. I would be so excited if we found a way to grab him.

Loyal - RGIII is one of the most accurate passers I've seen in recent memory. It doesn't matter if he's in the pocket, being dragged down by a defender, or on the run - the guy can put the ball in a tight space and has a very quick release. He's not Michael Vick - even when he does break off a run, he's looking to pass until he has no other option.

On top of his physical skills - he's a total class act, humble as hell, a team first kind of a guy, and is as smart as they come. Thing I like most about him is he's clearly self-motivated.

Add all that together, he's a future star if you ask me. I would be so excited if we found a way to grab him.

We must have seen different games because I swear I saw him break off the progressions too early and run more often than not. yes, he has a rifle for an arm and when he is not pressured he can put the ball anywhere. I did not see him throw on the run often, instead he seemed happy to take off. This could be the coach saying take what you see, but I am not sure I saw what you did.

LSF, I am obviously in the minority, but I think he takes a beating in the NFL playing the way I saw him play. He took a lot of hits in the games I watched. If he goes to a team who has a shaky offensive line and is thrown in there he will not have a long NFL career in my estimation. The DE's and LB's in the NFL are much faster.

Here is one of the best scouting/summary reports I've seen on RGIII, complete with video snippets:

http://www.newerascouting.com/2011/12/12/robert-griffin-iii-2012-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

We can agree to disagree on that Brian ... But Griffin is a prolific passer who had 4200+ passing yards, 37 passing TDs, and a QB rating of 189 (!) this year. That = one hell of a passing QB. Yeah, he also ran for 10 touchdowns and nearly 700 yards, but he's not a run first QB. The other thing you have to love about him is his arm strength. He can throw the ball with serious velocity, and he doesn't have to have both feet set to do it. I love him. If we don't get him, we'll regret if for the next decade.

... If he goes to a team who has a shaky offensive line and is thrown in there he will not have a long NFL career in my estimation. The DE's and LB's in the NFL are much faster.

Interestingly, the same could be said about Luck. Stanford gave him excellent protection with an outstanding OL including two of the higest graded OL prospects in the draft OT Johnathan Martin and OG David DeCastro. He could have problems behind a weak OL in the NFL-something that the Colts no doubt have to be thinking about.

Also, I would like to point out that the Univ. of Washington (in the bowl game) employed two spies to blanket RG3 and all but give up the run. The Baylor QB still passed for 295 yds. and three backs gained 101, 101, and 200 yds. rushing.

The Huskies took the same approach against Andrew Luck earlier in the season. Luck had 169 yds. passing for the game and the RBs set a new rushing record at Stanford - all while scoring 65 points. Baylor put 67 on the board in the bowl game.

Do you think two spies on any QB will be used in the NFL? Helu, Hightower, and Royster would love to see it. Luck or RG3 wouldn't mind handing off the ball and scoring on every other play.

Do you think two spies on any QB will be used in the NFL? Helu, Hightower, and Royster would love to see it. Luck or RG3 wouldn't mind handing off the ball and scoring on every other play.

This would never happen in the NFL. If it doesn't happen for Michael Vick it's not going to happen for RGIII. And as bad as Washington's defense is, 295 yards is not much of a selling point. Keith Price had a far better game than RGIII did in that bowl game.

I know you guys want him here and if the price is right, a single 1st round pick, I would love to have his talent here. I am just not willing to mortgage future picks for anyone when we have so many needs and his talent may not be suitable for NFL Championship success.

Everything except maybe QB, RB and MLB are huge issues for the Rams. :)

True enough. The Rams could move down for more picks but sometimes when you get a crack at an elite talent at a position of great need you don't try to get cute and outsmart the world. You make the pick and pat yourself on the back for the next 10 years.

Thanks, guys! I"ll check out the scouting report, Boone.

Yeah, not sure about this. I wouldn't mind trading up if he's the real deal.....and, I'm not basely opposed to using a guys legs to keep the defense off balance.....but, I also don't want excessive risk of injury like what always seems to happen to Vick. I also am willing to see the team give up some picks for the upgrade, but not the whole farm. We have too many needs. And, while I'm a Matt Flynn fan and would LOVE to see him here along with Blackmon (if that were possible), I'm not so sure we get Flynn for less than a couple 1sts. He's gonna be that popular.

I guess we'll see......

If he goes to a team who has a shaky offensive line and is thrown in there he will not have a long NFL career in my estimation. The DE's and LB's in the NFL are much faster.

Why would a QB as mobile as he is, have that problem ?
He's the last QB to have to worry about that.
It's the immobile ones that your concept applies to.
Like a Patrick "the statue" Ramsey, in a Steve Spurrier offense.

Last edited:
Why would a QB as mobile as he is, have that problem ?
He's the last QB to have to worry about that.
It's the immobile ones that your concept applies to.
Like a Patrick "the statue" Ramsey, in a Steve Spurrier offense.

Because he takes hits too squarely. I rarely saw him slide once he got the 1st down. He becomes a RB when he takes off and he takes a lot of hits. A QB like Manning, Brees, Rodgers and even Romo know how to half-step to keep from taking the full brunt of a hit. RGIII, from what I have seen, doesn't do this at all. He can avoid the initial tackle, but doesn't act like a QB when he gets into the open field, again he becomes a RB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.