A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Happy Hour starts in five minutes.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1. #1
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,499
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default The Worst TV Has to Offer

    While the Kardashians are up there along with just about any MTV programming...take your pick...the worst TV out there right now has to be Hardcore Pawn.

    At the time I decided to watch a couple of episodes, I was enjoying Pawn Stars on the History Channel. I figured I'd give Hardcore a shot. I have since lost interest in the guys at Pawn Stars, but I could only watch a couple episodes of Hardcore. It is ridiculous. They need more fights if they are going to talk so much smack! The old man that owns the place would get hurt if he didn't have the enormous security that he has. He talks so much! Jerry springer in a pawn shop.

    What TV shows have you watched and felt a little dumber for it?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    Two and a half men and the Big Bang Theory.

    And yet somehow, SportNight was canceled after three years, but these shows have been on how long?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    OLine. DLine. Secondary.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,569
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    While the Kardashians are up there along with just about any MTV programming...take your pick...the worst TV out there right now has to be Hardcore Pawn.

    At the time I decided to watch a couple of episodes, I was enjoying Pawn Stars on the History Channel. I figured I'd give Hardcore a shot. I have since lost interest in the guys at Pawn Stars, but I could only watch a couple episodes of Hardcore. It is ridiculous. They need more fights if they are going to talk so much smack! The old man that owns the place would get hurt if he didn't have the enormous security that he has. He talks so much! Jerry springer in a pawn shop.

    What TV shows have you watched and felt a little dumber for it?
    .
    This list could be encyclopedic if I wanted it to be but I'll put a special emphasis, in my case, on the "reality spin-off" type shows like the audiovisual atrocity you mention . It was very astute of you El to notice the resemblance between that show and Jerry Springer-I imagine the audience demographic would likely be remarkably similar. Granted this is all a matter of personal taste but you did ask for tv that I would feel "dumber" for having watched in which case most tv I have encountered in the past few years that bears a stomach-churning resemblance to grocery store checkout counter tabloids would qualify.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    I'm giving it a 2-4 year window. Looking for improvement in all areas. Redskins, you're on the clock.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,844
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    This is excluding Redskins games, right?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  5. #5
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,499
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    This is excluding Redskins games, right?
    Depends what Redskins' game it is...
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    04-12-09
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    4,678
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    Reality television. All of it. Not everything poeple do is interesting.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  7. #7

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,844
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Jersey Shore has got to be in the top 3.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  8. #8
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    Two and a half men and the Big Bang Theory
    You obviously have no sense of humor, both of these are hilarious.

    Are you one of those people who says this, but puts Seinfeld, Friends, Cheers, etc. at the top of the all time list of funny shows?

    It's all preference really, and I can see why someone would hate 2 and a half men.....but Big Bang Theory is quite possibly the funniest show on tv right now.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  9. #9
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,499
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Jersey Shore has got to be in the top 3.
    I can say with great pride I have never watched a second of any episode of that show. The most unfortunate thing about that is that I know who Snookie is. Why?

    Henry, while I don't watch it as much as I did when it first came out, the guy in American Restoration is a pretty good character guy and is very talented.

    Or is this considered Reality TV?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,844
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Hey extreme...the jerk store just called...

    That's gold Jerry, gold I tell ya!
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  11. #11

    Join Date
    10-01-09
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    9,781
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    133
    Virginia

    Default

    I'll watch the NCIS shows on Tuesday night and that is all the prime time TV for me. I'll watch sports, news, and good movies when those are on the air. Pretty sure I'm not missing too much.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The simplicity in me is complicated.
    I live in my own little world, but that's ok. They know me here.
    Redskins Fan - Emeritus

  12. #12
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,499
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    I have not watched a single prime time drama since the original Law & Order. I really think any drama that comes out now that is any good is made by one of the premium channels.

    I tried to watch Big Bang Theory, but I found it to be well...it sucked! But I disagree with Two and a Half Men. I think that show is gold! Gold I tell ya Jerry! Boone, that was funny!

    On a flip side, my new favorite is Boss. Kelsey Grammer should definitely be recognized by the Emmy's for his work on that show.

    And BB, I am generally doing the same.
    Last edited by Elephant; 01-08-12 at 11:24 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  13. #13
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    03-30-10
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    7,324
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    Elephant, you hit the nail on the head. Hardcore Pawn is the most ignorant show on television. And great analogy to Jerry Springer. I literally feel like I have to shower after watching that trash.

    I would like to nominate another show--one which I haven't even seen. But just by the name of it, I'm so sure that it's a piece of crap, that I believe it deserves consideration. Tots and Tiaras.

    That's right. This is a blind nomination.

    I hate everything about the show--mainly the parents, of course. But I also have a strong hatred for the overweight housewives that sit on the couch and eat more ice cream while watching that trash.

    *Ends rant* Whew....I feel much better now.
    Last edited by McD5; 01-08-12 at 11:36 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  14. #14
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,499
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McD5 View Post
    Elephant, you hit the nail on the head. Hardcore Pawn is the most ignorant show on television. And great analogy to Jerry Springer. I literally feel like I have to shower after watching that trash.

    I would like to nominate another show--one which I haven't even seen. But just by the name of it, I'm so sure that it's a piece of crap, that I believe it deserves consideration. Tots and Tiaras.

    That's right. This is a blind nomination.

    I hate everything about the show--mainly the parents, of course. But I also have a strong hatred for the overweight housewives that sit on the couch and eat more ice cream while watching that trash.

    *Ends rant* Whew....I feel much better now.

    Good call McD5! Someone posted this on my wife's wall on Facebook just the other day. It's a clip from Tots and Tiaras.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4-5q...ature=youtu.be

    Child should be taken from her mother!
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,569
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Good call McD5! Someone posted this on my wife's wall on Facebook just the other day. It's a clip from Tots and Tiaras.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4-5q...ature=youtu.be

    Child should be taken from her mother!
    El, you mMcD5 and I are absolutely on the same page with this one. When I heard the premise of the show and saw clips I was honestly appalled. I seldom reach any level of what people normally refer to as "moral disgust" but this one triggered a deep revulsion in me. I find the entire idea wretched, degrading, and almost grotesquely perverted.

    Sorry about the "rant" mode there but I just had a visceral bad reaction to this show idea.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    I'm giving it a 2-4 year window. Looking for improvement in all areas. Redskins, you're on the clock.

  16. #16
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,499
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    Yeah serv, when I created the thread, I didn't mean for there to be such a negative tone. I guess it was inevitable with the topic matter, bad TV.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  17. #17
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-11
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    When Big Bang is on it is an incredibly funny show. It's become a little hit or miss, but that's because it takes chances. They need to back away from making every episode about Sheldon. They have a good ensemble. I'd give it another chance... the first two seasons were great!

    Second on the reality shows. The only ones I can stand are the Chef Ramsey shows, but a large part of that is watching someone working towards their dream. It's an American dream contest which is compelling. Someone who has loved cooking and probably strived to do this all their life will be catapulted to their dream job.

    That's pretty cool.

    The bitchfests and Survivors you can keep.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  18. #18
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burgold View Post
    When Big Bang is on it is an incredibly funny show. It's become a little hit or miss, but that's because it takes chances. They need to back away from making every episode about Sheldon. They have a good ensemble. I'd give it another chance... the first two seasons were great!

    Second on the reality shows. The only ones I can stand are the Chef Ramsey shows, but a large part of that is watching someone working towards their dream. It's an American dream contest which is compelling. Someone who has loved cooking and probably strived to do this all their life will be catapulted to their dream job.

    That's pretty cool.

    The bitchfests and Survivors you can keep.
    I agree with the Ramsey shows - Hell's Kitchen is one of my favorite shows, and Kitchen Nightmares is pretty good too.

    I don't know what's more unbelievable - the fact Survivor is still on the air, or the fact they still have a market for it. My wife loves most reality shows, but I am glad we can both say we've never seen Jersey Shore.

    Oh, and not all reality tv is bad. The documentary based ones like Swamp People, Ax Men, etc. are pretty bad ass. I must also confess to being a Big Brother fan. Just like with a lot of things, most people rag on shows they either never watched, or watched one time, so when people dog shows I like, it doesn't bother me at all, because it's a guarantee they watch something retarded like Jersey Shore or Desperate Housewives.

    Full Throttle Saloon was good at first, but it's gotten to the point now where it's the exact same thing year after year. It's always Mike Ballard crying that he's gonna go bankrupt and lose his houses if he only makes a bazillion dollars this year, Jesse always working on some crazy stunt and bitching about cover charges, and Angie acting like she isn't the biggest bitch to ever walk the planet, while over hyping herself and her lack of talent lame ass flaunt girls. Same ****, different year every single season, none of it ever changes.
    Last edited by Nobody; 01-09-12 at 07:56 AM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    You obviously have no sense of humor, both of these are hilarious.

    Are you one of those people who says this, but puts Seinfeld, Friends, Cheers, etc. at the top of the all time list of funny shows?

    It's all preference really, and I can see why someone would hate 2 and a half men.....but Big Bang Theory is quite possibly the funniest show on tv right now.
    There isn't a lot of great comedy work being done right now, though Louie on FX is hysterical. 30 Rock is uneven, but by and large pretty good, I have professed my love for Cougartown elsewhere, and Community and Parks and Rec have both hit their strides nicely.

    I just don't get either BBT or TAAHM, at all. The delivery is canned, isn't there still a laugh track? Ugh. After being told by people I respect that TAAHM was hysterical, we tried for four episodes; we have a different sense of humor, I guess.

    And El, I agree dramas aren't great on network TV these days, but you just missed Friday Night Lights, which was a GREAT show, Parenthood has its moments, and even the Good Wife is pretty good. You need to try Justified though. I am rewatching the first season now and it is a helluva show. Really, REALLY well done. Exciting, entertaining, thrilling, funny, etc. On AMC, Mad Men is at times, extraordinary. The Suitcase last year is one of the best hours of television I have ever experienced.

    Oh, and Extreme, I never liked Seinfeld when it was on. My college roommate LOVED it, obsessed about it. I never got it. I find it more funny now than I did then, but still not my favorite (sorry everyone else). Cheers I love, but it's more of a nostalgia thing for me. I watched that growing up, and that's more about memories than it being a really great sitcom. Friends? Meh. The first two seasons were really good, after that, not so much. My all time favorite sitcom may just be Scrubs (first 5-6 seasons). Huge Bill Lawrence fan, loved Spin City too (with Michael J Fox, NOT Charlie Sheen). And Sports Night is another all time fav.

    As for the tone of the thread, I could not agree more with McD5. I saw clips of that Tots and Tiaras monstrosity on Jon Stewart, and was appalled. I don't even know what channel it is on, and I don't want to know. What I do want to know is why people are protesting American Muslim (or whatever it is) and NOT that garbage. Good God. We watched the second season of Idol with Clay and Reuben, some Fear Factor occassionally, and that's about it for Reality TV. Big waste of time, imo.

    (I will add the entire family likes Wipeout. But I rationalize and tell myself its a gameshow.)
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    OLine. DLine. Secondary.

  20. #20

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,927
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    ...Reality TV. Big waste of time, imo.
    Agreed.

    First off, there is no such thing, for in reality, there wouldn't be cameras present. It's like watching "Pro" wrestling. Some see it as entertainment, and that's fine. I see it as someone being fed liver, being told it's chocolate, and then convincing themselves that it indeed does taste, just like chocolate.

    Don't watch sitcoms any more. Not even reruns of shows I used to like. Tastes shift over time. 99% of my TV viewing is movies, and sports related shows. I do, on occasion, sit through some of the wife's addiction to HGTV. Most of which is House Hunters/International.

    Marriage demands sacrifice.

    "Reality TV" as a whole is the worst thing to happen to television, ever.

    Followed closely now by the so-called, News. You have to sit through 20 mins of BS for every 5 mins of actual news. And that may be too generous of an estimate.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Worst Defenses In History: Where do we rank?
    By KDawg in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-07-10, 01:57 PM
  2. Article:Redskins make lukewarm offer to retain Campbell
    By authentic in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-04-10, 01:42 PM
  3. WPC: Worst in a while
    By Pappas in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-28-09, 12:30 PM
  4. Best and worst in the booth
    By sonofDC in forum The 5 O'Clock Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-19-09, 12:45 AM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •