• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Norv Turner To Be First Coach Fired In 2012

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Norv-Turner-reportedly-to-be-fired-as-San-Diego-Chargers-coach-123111

Honestly, I can't believe it took them so many years. He is not fit to be an NFL head coach, no matter how you spin it. Rex Ryan was pretty accurate when he said 3-5 SB wins should have been easy with the team Turner was dealt in SD. Instead, he squandered away one of the most talented teams in NFL history, and did so with some big time superstars in their prime.

That being said, I would love to have him instead of Kyle as OC here.

My guess is he goes to the Jets to work his magic on the Sanchize.

Even after he and Rex got into it this year? Seriously?

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a do or die year for Rex. He runs his big mouth so damned much, and they took a major step back this year as a team. He knows he needs an offensive guru to come in there and turn things around. Schotty Jr. hasn't done it consistently, and has done nothing at all to develop Sanchez, imo. Norv will do that well, and also get the most out of Greene. Rex will need to put his ego aside (a formidable task to be sure), but given the year they've had, his hand may end up being forced.

Norv Turner sucked the life out of my team. He's been gone 11 years, but his legacy remains. I'm not a vengeful man, nor religious, but I will keep sticking pins into my Norval voodoo doll until we find a QB who can finally Scope our collective breath of Heath Shuler and WhatWeDoWorks.

Hmph.

I don't think Smith is a bad GM as far as player personel is concerned but his choice of coaches is highly questionable and the faith the owner has put in Norv is crazy. What has Norv ever done to warrant such treatment?

Yeah Mike but you can't know how much of that is because Spanos won't fork over the money it would take to keep some of these guys. Maybe Smith is doing exactly what his owner wants him to do.

And letting Brees go made sense at the time. Rivers had made it look like a pretty good move until this last year too (although I think losing Sproles had a lot to do with how bad Rivers looking this year).

They had to waste a 1st rounder to get Rivers when they had Brees. Rivers was no better when he stepped in for Brees and all Brees did was continue to improve and eventually win a super bowl/set the passing record.

In fairness Mike, you are looking at it with 20/20 hindsight. Lots of folks didn't think Brees was ever going to be more than a middling QB when they drafted Rivers. And even after they drafted Rivers, Brees had that shoulder injury that no one was sure he would ever recover from. What he has done in New Orleans since the move is amazing.

also this...they just fired their D coordinator like HE was the problem. The rumor is that Spanos is tanking the team so the move to LA will be easier because the fans will have turned on the team. They also believe theyre going to get more blackouts here than the Jaguars will next year.

Yeah, the news about the DC surprised me too. But then what was Norv going to do? Fire himself? ;)

This is unbelievable. I thought Norval was as good as dead! And he's keeping his job? Unreal! Absolutely unreal!

Only thing I can figure is that Rivers had some kind of significant injury this year (that's been the rumor most of the season) that limited his effectiveness so much, they decided it wasn't Norv's fault. It's surprising they'd keep having the same result and continue to give Turner a pass though.

Norv = Rasputin

Only thing I can figure is that Rivers had some kind of significant injury this year (that's been the rumor most of the season) that limited his effectiveness so much, they decided it wasn't Norv's fault. It's surprising they'd keep having the same result and continue to give Turner a pass though.

I heard this also (was paying close attention to Rivers - he was one of my FFQBs). I don't know though - how many chances can Norv get? I mean, after so much failure as a head coach, you'd think people would start to get a clue...but the dude just will not get canned! Amazing!

Norv snagging defeat from the jaws of victory again
Wouldn't be surprised if the chargers lose next week they fire him after the game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.