• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 12/30/11: M. Shanahan

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
December 30, 2011
Redskins Park

Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan

On how much more running back Roy Helu was able to do in practice today:
“Same thing he’s been doing. He’ll be questionable for the game.”

On if Helu will be tested in warm-ups before the Eagles game:
“Same thing as last week – give him a workout [and] see how he feels.”

On the injury status of tackle Jammal Brown:
“Yeah, we’re going to do the same thing with him. We’ll have him listed as questionable as well.”

On if coaches will be in the office immediately after the season:
“Yeah, very similar to last year. First couple of weeks, we’ll be here and then they’ll get a little time off.”

On if the defense will look over the film of the offense and vice versa like last year:
“Yeah, we’ll do the same thing. We evaluate our personnel. We get another viewpoint of how our players are playing not just from the coaches, but on a day-to-day basis. Sometimes, you fall in love with a guy and like the guy and that may not necessarily correlate to his play. Sometimes, it’s easy for a defensive guy to look at an offensive guy and say, 'You know what, he might be a good guy, but I’m not sure how he’s playing.’ Obviously, all those different characteristics that go into an evaluation.”

On if he has a good understanding of which guys he wants to keep for next season after the Eagles game:
“Yeah, but I think it’s always good to go back. I’m studying personnel all year long, but sometimes the coaches, they get so involved with the scheme and getting ready for the new team and the game plan and evaluating that personnel, they sometimes don’t get a chance to look at the players and really study them and get a true evaluation for it. It’s always good for me to go back as well [and] not only listen to them, but sit back and look at players for a couple of weeks and learn more in a relaxed atmosphere. And then make some decisions or at least make some evaluations.”

On if there are times when evaluating players that he learns new things about players:
“It all depends who you’re talking to. I know as an offensive coordinator it was really different for me at the end of the year to go back and evaluate because a lot of times you didn’t really study the player as much as you studied the opponent and the scheme [and] evaluating other players and how to attack them. Then, you come back at the end of the season, you look at your players and you say, 'Wow, this guy played a little bit better and this guy didn’t play as well.’ It’s a little bit truer evaluation of somebody’s season. Then, you do the same thing looking at the other side of the football because you’re used to looking at defensive players the whole year evaluating those players for a game plan. Now, you get a chance to look at your own team and at least give your opinion to the other defensive coaches and the staff of how those players played. So what you try to do is basically eliminate mistakes. The more evaluation, the more eyes you have looking at the people, the more opinions, the better off you can come up with a plan that is best for the organization.”

On when he starts the process of evaluating quarterbacks for the draft:
“What I do, I’ve already looked at 10 or 15 of them, I’ll take a half hour a day early in the morning – the tapes are made up. I’ll take a look at maybe 75, 80 plays of just a guy throwing the football in game situations and so that’s most of the passes or at least the good passes during the season just so I get a feel for the guy. I do a little bit of that every day. Everybody is a little bit different depending on what we’re doing.”

On when he started watching film of college players:
“Usually I do it in the middle of the football season. I’ll spend a half hour in the morning once the tapes are together once our pro personnel or college personnel - depending what you’re looking at - put the tape together. Maybe somebody’s passes and you try to isolate it down and break it down depending on how many games you’ve got in. But once something appears on your screen, I like to look at it. You’ve got names, but sometimes you can’t relate to how a guy’s playing because you hear a lot about it on TV, but a lot of it’s hype and not evaluation. So you like to go back and kind of put the play with the name.”

On if he’s only looking at film of college quarterbacks:
“No, depends on what tape is up and how much time you have.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.