• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Sign Robinson to Active Roster, Waive Torain

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS SIGN WR ALDRICK ROBINSON TO ACTIVE ROSTER; WAIVE RB RYAN TORAIN

ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they signed wide receiver Aldrick Robinson to their active roster from their practice squad and waived running back Ryan Torain.
Robinson (5-10, 178) was the second of Washington’s two sixth-round selections (No. 178 overall) in the 2011 NFL Draft. He spent the first 16 weeks of the season on Washington’s practice squad. In his four-year collegiate career at Southern Methodist, he finished second in school history (fifth in Conference USA history) with 3,314 receiving yards, hauled in 181 receptions (fourth in SMU history) and caught 30 touchdown passes (second in SMU history).

In 2010, Robinson earned first-team All-Conference USA honors after starting in all 14 games. He finished first in the conference with 1,301 yards receiving on 65 receptions and a single-season school-record 14 touchdown catches.

As a junior, Robinson participated in all 13 games with 12 starts and compiled 47 receptions for 800 yards and five touchdowns.

In 2008, Robinson earned All-Conference USA honorable mention honors after starting in 10 games and finishing sixth in the nation with 104.7 receiving yards per game. During the season, he compiled 59 receptions for 1,047 yards and 11 touchdowns.

During his freshman season, Robinson appeared in nine games, catching 10 passes for 166 yards and returning three kickoffs for 80 yards.

Robinson attended Waxahachie (Texas) High School, where he was a two-year All-District selection. He was born Sept. 24, 1988.

With the addition of Robinson to the active roster, the Redskins have had 11 of their 12 draft choices from the 2011 NFL Draft on their active roster during the season. Rookie defensive end Jarvis Jenkins was placed on the Reserve/Injured list during the preseason.

Torain (6-1, 218) was in his second season with the Redskins. During the 2011 season, he compiled 200 yards rushing on 59 attempts with one rushing touchdown and added six receptions for 23 yards.

I wonder if they'll give him a shot at some returns to see what he offers.

I wonder if they'll give him a shot at some returns to see what he offers.

I was thinking the same thing. His hands were a little iffy during the preseason but, at this point, it sure can't hurt to give him a shot.

Robinson looked dreadful in preseason and camp. He was easily the least impressive of ALL of the Redskins draft picks in 2011.

The practice squad now acts as a taxi squad and it takes some players 2-3 years to reach their potential at this level.

Robinson may have some upside on special teams if his hands improve, I just have a hard time looking at his size and pass catching and seeing him as an NFL wide receiver.

This move could have been more about Torain at this point in time.

He wasn't seeing time on the field and after Royster got the start with Helu ailing, Torain may have asked to be released.

Rather than sign a veteran or another younger player from another team, Shanahan may have decided to reward Robinson for his work on the PS the past 16 weeks.

According to Mike's quotes, it looked like Robinson was about to be plucked from the Practice Squad so that may play into why he was promoted as well.

yep, the Redskins were very smart this year in protecting their draft picks from being poached from the practice squad.

I think Royster was also a guy that was brought up to protect him from being claimed. While I think Shanahan was going to give Evan a shot, I don't think Mike saw him rushing for 132 yards on 19 carries in his first extended game action :)

While many here thought he had potential, I sure didn't see THAT coming. Nice to see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.