A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Helmet Redskins Sign Robinson to Active Roster, Waive Torain

REDSKINS SIGN WR ALDRICK ROBINSON TO ACTIVE ROSTER; WAIVE RB RYAN TORAIN

ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they signed wide receiver Aldrick Robinson to their active roster from their practice squad and waived running back Ryan Torain.
    Robinson (5-10, 178) was the second of Washington’s two sixth-round selections (No. 178 overall) in the 2011 NFL Draft. He spent the first 16 weeks of the season on Washington’s practice squad. In his four-year collegiate career at Southern Methodist, he finished second in school history (fifth in Conference USA history) with 3,314 receiving yards, hauled in 181 receptions (fourth in SMU history) and caught 30 touchdown passes (second in SMU history).

In 2010, Robinson earned first-team All-Conference USA honors after starting in all 14 games. He finished first in the conference with 1,301 yards receiving on 65 receptions and a single-season school-record 14 touchdown catches.

As a junior, Robinson participated in all 13 games with 12 starts and compiled 47 receptions for 800 yards and five touchdowns.

In 2008, Robinson earned All-Conference USA honorable mention honors after starting in 10 games and finishing sixth in the nation with 104.7 receiving yards per game. During the season, he compiled 59 receptions for 1,047 yards and 11 touchdowns.

During his freshman season, Robinson appeared in nine games, catching 10 passes for 166 yards and returning three kickoffs for 80 yards.

Robinson attended Waxahachie (Texas) High School, where he was a two-year All-District selection. He was born Sept. 24, 1988.

With the addition of Robinson to the active roster, the Redskins have had 11 of their 12 draft choices from the 2011 NFL Draft on their active roster during the season. Rookie defensive end Jarvis Jenkins was placed on the Reserve/Injured list during the preseason.

Torain (6-1, 218) was in his second season with the Redskins. During the 2011 season, he compiled 200 yards rushing on 59 attempts with one rushing touchdown and added six receptions for 23 yards.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

I wonder if they'll give him a shot at some returns to see what he offers.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    I wonder if they'll give him a shot at some returns to see what he offers.
    I was thinking the same thing. His hands were a little iffy during the preseason but, at this point, it sure can't hurt to give him a shot.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Robinson looked dreadful in preseason and camp. He was easily the least impressive of ALL of the Redskins draft picks in 2011.

The practice squad now acts as a taxi squad and it takes some players 2-3 years to reach their potential at this level.

Robinson may have some upside on special teams if his hands improve, I just have a hard time looking at his size and pass catching and seeing him as an NFL wide receiver.

This move could have been more about Torain at this point in time.

He wasn't seeing time on the field and after Royster got the start with Helu ailing, Torain may have asked to be released.

Rather than sign a veteran or another younger player from another team, Shanahan may have decided to reward Robinson for his work on the PS the past 16 weeks.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

According to Mike's quotes, it looked like Robinson was about to be plucked from the Practice Squad so that may play into why he was promoted as well.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

yep, the Redskins were very smart this year in protecting their draft picks from being poached from the practice squad.

I think Royster was also a guy that was brought up to protect him from being claimed. While I think Shanahan was going to give Evan a shot, I don't think Mike saw him rushing for 132 yards on 19 carries in his first extended game action
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

While many here thought he had potential, I sure didn't see THAT coming. Nice to see.
    0 0 0 0