• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

My Questions for the Defense Going Forward

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
Big WP article today on the defense.

My questions based on Haslett and Shanahan's comments:

1. Is Landry worth bringing back here on a one year make good deal? Does he have the right attitude or has he become soured a bit on the Redskins and needs a change of scenery that would be better for both parties.

2. Is OJ Atogwe over the hill at 30 and declining due to injuries or was 2011 an aberration? I remember Atogwe being a real playmaker but that was in 2007 and 2008. That's 3 years ago. It's possible the Redskins first free agent move in 2011 for Atogwe is the one that will turn out to be the bust. In any case the team needs to find capable backups at both free and strong given where Landry and Atogwe are right now, and that doesn't mean penciling Reed Doughty in as the spot starter at both positions.

3. Is there a solid corner available in free agency that can provide better defensive coverage and leadership than DeAngelo Hall? Hall carries a lot of drama with him for a guy that gets beat regularly. Dez Bryant and the Cowboys owned Hall the past couple of years and I remember Jay Cutler's comment that even with 4 picks, if he had it to do over again he would look to beat Hall down the field. We need better respect around the NFL for our starting corner than that.

4. Is the organization going to do the right thing and resign Carriker before the start of free agency? With Jenkins coming back, the Redskins aren't going to have the depth Shanahan says he wants and is building if they let Carriker go and don't have that third DE they can count on.

5. Are we satisfied with the depth at DT? I would say that the depth behind Cofield is not adequate with Chris Neill alone. If as a seventh round pick he comes along that's great, but we need better competition for that spot than we saw in 2011.

6. Along with Carriker, are we going to get a new contract in place for Fletcher before we hear the catcalls of 'the Redskins don't offer up money to the players that actually perform for them' again? This one is a no-brainer. Fletcher is a coach on the field and the only player on the team other than Cofield who knows what it takes for a team to sacrifice to get to and win a Super Bowl.

1. I think the question about Landry is whether or not he'll even play in 2012. I think any team that signs him will probably shut him down for 2012 if they're smart.

2. Before this season, Atogwe had played like 5 straight seasons without missing a game or something - I think this was a fluke. At least I hope.

3. Carlos Rogers? Here is the list of FA DBs. Doesn't look like there is a number one out there, outside of Grimes. I think Atlanta will franchise him though, so no dice there. Maybe Finnegan? But he's regressed from the past few years I think. Lots of #2 guys available, but per usual, #1 CBs are few and far between. Frankly, I'd rather have anyone on that list instead of Hall, I dislike him that much. :)

4. I think they'll re-sign Carriker, if he'll come back at a backup's price tag. I think he'll do just that, as I don't see anyone throwing a ton of money at him if he tests the FA waters, and I think he likes Haslett (at least one person in DC does!).

5. I liked Neild, but I wouldn't mind them drafting a 3rd-5th round fatty to rotate in for depth purposes. Either that or take a look at Solai from Miami or Franklin, both of whom will be FAs I think. But, both will probably want a large amount of money, and neither would come in to be the backup to Cofield.

6. Couldn't agree more - re-signing Fletcher should be priority numero uno this offseason. Pay that man like the 6-time probowler he SHOULD be. He's earned some monetary respect from this franchise, and he should get it.

5. I liked Neild, but I wouldn't mind them drafting a 3rd-5th round fatty to rotate in for depth purposes. Either that or take a look at Solai from Miami or Franklin, both of whom will be FAs I think. But, both will probably want a large amount of money, and neither would come in to be the backup to Cofield.

Pouha in NY is the one I think would cost too much.

If you bring in someone like Soliai, I'd think he'd get the start and Cofield would be rotated in at both DE and NT. Soliai should not be expecting a big pay day because of his average season this year. If this was a contract year for him, he sure didn't do enough to warrant a big pay day but he is a true NT and could get the start.

Franklin was lost in the mix down in New Orleans this year, as we know any tackle in Gregg Williams' scheme can be. I think he would just be looking to get out of NO just to get a chance to play regularly again. I don't think I saw him on the field at all the other night against Atlanta. Is that diminished ability or scheme? Either way, he should not be accepting a big paycheck.

The NT I am curious about is Garay in San Diego. Mike, any insight on him out there?

As for CB, we're not going to get a number one in this off-season unless Lanky is wrong and Atlanta decides not to tag Grimes or Carlos Rogers decides he wants to come back here. :laugh: We will not draft a #1 CB since it'd take a top 10 pick and we all know we have needs that will trump CB.

Anyone think Zbikowski could be solid depth at Safety? He wouldn't come with an enormous price tag.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.