• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

When Christmas Gifts Attack - We All Have A Story

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Come on, we all have one. One of those gifts we bought and had to put together for a kid that resulted in flat out drunkenness and/or cussing, or a scathing letter to the manufacturer.

For me, this happens with at least one gift every year, guaranteed. This year, it was the Huffy Green Machine that we bought for our son. If anyone plans on buying one any time in the future, make sure your toolbox is filled with standard and metric tools of various sizes. I have all of the tools I needed, and still cussed up a storm.

The kit that came with the Green Machine included some tools. A #3 allen wrench, a 5/8" socket, and a 1/2 inch wrench. Too bad I didn't need any of these. There were two sizes of bolts on this thing that required an allen wrench. One was a #2, one was a #4, and a star wrench fro the seat just for good measure. That made the #3 allen wrench they included obsolete. Then with some of the other bolts and nuts, they were all either 3/8", 7/16" or 10 mm. That made the wrench and the socket that were included useless as well.

So I was basically ready to put together something that was agonizing in itself, as all bikes are when it comes to assembly, and the agony was compounded by the fact I had to make a dozen trips out to the garage to fetch tools. By the time I was done I wanted to scrap it :tantrum:

My father in law told me a story about how when my wife was little, he bought her this huge Barbie house. He said it was so complex and confusing that he had to bust out his torch and melt parts together to make it work :laugh:

I've had the inebriate part down fairly well, and have been the official family elf since the age of 12. Neither my dad or my Uncle John knew which end of a screwdriver to hold. There was a small utility room below my uncles apartment, and I was relegated to working down there so the little ones wouldn't see what was going on.

You name it, I've built it... at least 5 bikes, and countless Barbie stuff. I had this duty into my early 20's, so from about 15 onward, I'd get fairly lit while doing it. My sisters boyfriend would sneak me beers, and we'd slide out for a toke or two from time to time.

It's funny, but I still have to do lots of assemble of accessories at work. Only difference is the toys are motorcycles.

I've had the inebriate part down fairly well, and have been the official family elf since the age of 12. Neither my dad or my Uncle John knew which end of a screwdriver to hold. There was a small utility room below my uncles apartment, and I was relegated to working down there so the little ones wouldn't see what was going on.

You name it, I've built it... at least 5 bikes, and countless Barbie stuff. I had this duty into my early 20's, so from about 15 onward, I'd get fairly lit while doing it. My sisters boyfriend would sneak me beers, and we'd slide out for a toke or two from time to time.

It's funny, but I still have to do lots of assemble of accessories at work. Only difference is the toys are motorcycles.
I must admit, doing this back when I still drank and smoked weed was so much easier :laugh:

I must admit, doing this back when I still drank and smoked weed was so much easier :laugh:

I'm not sure it was easier, but is sure was more fun.... and I haven't killed a family member, so it's all good.

Right lol, that's always a bonus for the people round you. I'm having an additional problem with the toy now though. He went to ride it for the first time, and even though it says ages 5+ and he's 6 in a month, his legs are 4" too short to reach the pedals. Now I have to think of something I can rig up to help him reach. I was thinking blacks of wood and straps, but not sure how well that would do with functionality.

One year my wife bought a small wouldn't rocker for one of the kids. Christmas Eve I started putting it together. After a number of beers thought about using it for fire wood. Finally got the thing together.

This morning things went better. Bought a Rudolph car decoration kit. Before my 20 yr old son got up went and put the antlers and red nose on his truck. He came downstairs and went wtf went looked at his truck.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Right lol, that's always a bonus for the people round you. I'm having an additional problem with the toy now though. He went to ride it for the first time, and even though it says ages 5+ and he's 6 in a month, his legs are 4" too short to reach the pedals. Now I have to think of something I can rig up to help him reach. I was thinking blacks of wood and straps, but not sure how well that would do with functionality.

http://www.amazon.com/Dimension-Pedal-Blocks-Black/dp/B001CK0R9Q

Thing is, if his legs are too short for the pedals, can he safely come to a stop and reach the ground.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.