• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Hail to the Redskins...

I can't see sweeping the Giants, a team that has tormented us for decades now, as a bad thing. I understand the draft position thing too but if it turns out we're not that bad after all I'm not going to be upset about it. :)

Hail to the Redskins!

Sweeping the Giants ... hot damn. :D

but you are not going to enforce the rule on no politics? how much more blatant can it be?

There is a bit of irony here. The Redskins are a more talented team in 2011 than they were in 2010, but the final record is not going to show any improvement per se. But those of us that have watched the team know there are younger players now on the field that were either learning on the bench in 2010 or were yet to be drafted by the club prior to this past April.

The other ironic note is that as the number of 'vital' players have gone down to injury this season has grown, the ability of this team to be competitive has actually improved.

That is a sign that the Chris Cooleys, Jammal Browns, and a number of other 30 something players on the roster may not be here come the summer of 2012.

If we can be competitive without them, then why hold onto the contracts?

I think we are also missing the fact that over the past 2 weeks we have started 2 rookies on the left side of the offensive line. Our line was pretty dominant today considering Pierre-Paul has been on fire the last few weeks. To top it off an UDFA who is on his 3rd team in the last 3 seasons started at RT.

I think we are also missing the fact that over the past 2 weeks we have started 2 rookies on the left side of the offensive line. Our line was pretty dominant today considering Pierre-Paul has been on fire the last few weeks. To top it off an UDFA who is on his 3rd team in the last 3 seasons started at RT.

YES! I think, at worst, we have established tremendously solid depth for the starters we acquire in FA or through the draft next year. We may indeed see one or two of these guys starting next year if they continue to impress. They more than held their own today against the Giants vaunted defensive line.

Very encouraging!

Winning shows us that this front office knows how to draft. I know we are all watching these games with the 2012 draft in mind, but we really should be watching it with the 2011 draft in mind instead. The 2011 draftees are actually on our team. Those are the guys we want to pan out first. Let's worry about the 2012 draft in 2012.

Winning shows us that this front office knows how to draft. I know we are all watching these games with the 2012 draft in mind, but we really should be watching it with the 2011 draft in mind instead. The 2011 draftees are actually on our team. Those are the guys we want to pan out first. Let's worry about the 2012 draft in 2012.

why are the two mutually exclusive in your mind?

It' just a good thing to see the young blood doing so well, and a draft that can be said to very successful. It was great to see Royster get some more touches. Looks like he's pretty well suited to running between the tackles, and a good complement to Helu's cutback, and outside speed.

Pretty excited to see what we have next season when we get some of the injured guys back.

Happy to shut up the vast majority of my Giants fan family for once, and my service manager, the smug bastard....

Exactly and that's why this win isn't meaningless. Imagine if we found two diamond in the ruff starters on the o-line. Imagine if both Helu and Royster are legit and we add Hightower in as another fill in starter or third down back.

Imagine the d-line adding Jenkins and Kerrigan with another year under his belt. These are all things that should make you smile.

Our pups improving and excelling is worth dropping a slot in the draft...

At the same time, we desperately need a qb who doesn't give up two interceptions a game and has the arm to hit a wide receiver streaking open down the field. Hopefully, we can get one of the top three prospects.

Still, call me myopic, but sports is entertainment and for me I don't find losses entertaining.

why are the two mutually exclusive in your mind?

The better the 2011 draft is, the better the team plays, the more wins we get, the lower our 2012 draft pick is. Kinda how the draft was designed to work in the first place.

not what I meant. one can watch a game...looking for better play from the rooks against powerhouses like the 7-7 Giants and also think about the 2012 draft. there's more to the draft than just the position.

and your logic has a flaw. draft position also depends on what other teams are doing. as I track position...my focus is on teams with worse records who need a QB...not absolute position.

Fair enough. I admit I was rooting for all the crappy teams today. :)
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Well - my apologies to Sarge - I really thought this would be a 'celebratory' thread and was trying to keep it in that vein. But I was obviously way off base as you guys are all over the 'other topic'. Have at you :)

Hail indeed. Love to sweep division rivals and this one is close to where I live. It will be nice to wear Redskins attire this week.

Since everyone is so concerned about draft status and who will be on the team - two things...

We are in the 7th position for drafting for this week. If need be, we can move up and grab the player we want. It's that simple.

Second, I will create a new thread overnight (doubt that I will sleep much tonight) that is dedicated to a discussion of who will be here next year and who will go. Feel free to agree, disagree, or toss a mudpie at Miles Monroe. :biggrin2:

Exactly and that's why this win isn't meaningless. Imagine if we found two diamond in the ruff starters on the o-line. Imagine if both Helu and Royster are legit and we add Hightower in as another fill in starter or third down back.

Imagine the d-line adding Jenkins and Kerrigan with another year under his belt. These are all things that should make you smile.

Our pups improving and excelling is worth dropping a slot in the draft...

At the same time, we desperately need a qb who doesn't give up two interceptions a game and has the arm to hit a wide receiver streaking open down the field. Hopefully, we can get one of the top three prospects.

Still, call me myopic, but sports is entertainment and for me I don't find losses entertaining.

what gives? is it John Lennon night at casa burgold?

Hail indeed. Love to sweep division rivals and this one is close to where I live. It will be nice to wear Redskins attire this week.

Since everyone is so concerned about draft status and who will be on the team - two things...

We are in the 7th position for drafting for this week. If need be, we can move up and grab the player we want. It's that simple.

I think that's a huge assumption though BB. With a rookie salary cap, there's no longer the incentive to move down to avoid having to pay astronomical salaries for top picks. And any 'move up' scenario also includes the possibility that we'd have to break the bank to out-bid another QB-desperate franchise.

Sorry - just not buying that because we want to believe it'll happen, it'll therefore happen.

This regime has proven that all it takes is one trading partner at a time. No need to push the draft panic button in December.

Well - my apologies to Sarge - I really thought this would be a 'celebratory' thread and was trying to keep it in that vein. But I was obviously way off base as you guys are all over the 'other topic'. Have at you :)

Boone, threads develop a life and flow of their own and diverge and evolve just like normal conversations. Trying to limit or control them is both unrealistic and stifling. The best you can hope for is that the wheels don't go too far into the ditches on either side. :)

As to the main "topics" being discussed at this time I have a position that's probably going to be considered unusual.

I thoroughly enjoyed the win today over the Giants while at the same time am anxious for the Redskins to draft a "for-the-future" QB. The points made by Goaldeje and Henry are I think valid. It is a good sign that recent young draftees are playing well because when a new QB steps in it will be better and easier for him to achieve success if he has a base of competent support in the rest of the team and we are closer to that now than we've been in a while. At the same time I acknowledge that the probability of getting a "franchise level" QB likely does diminish as you move down the draft board-but enough historical examples exist to indicate that it's only the probability of finding one that fits the "potential franchise QB" label that may decrease slightly and not a guaranteed "well we missed our chance" failure.

Basically what I'm saying is that neither staked out position in the discussion can claim absolute "rightness" versus absolute "wrongness" here. I'm looking at a potentially optimal situation in which both sides have legitimate pros and cons that seem to negate each other but they aren't mutually exclusive. In other words-there are always trade-offs, but the existence of trade-offs only means that a combination of factors on both sides must be considered.

As a side note, speaking of historical examples I think it's apparent from past drafts that even if there are a number of really-good to potentially great QBs being touted early on that as the draft approaches they tend to start separating rather than all being clustered at the top of the draft. This happens for numerous reasons, good/bad combine performance, good/bad final college games, and NFL teams starting to be very analytical about how their particular team plays and which QB would be the best fit or could be molded into a good long-term fit. I mentioned in the chat room that I see possibly three of the currently top rated QBs going in the top ten and that's probably all. Even if we were to win out and our draft position were to drop it's likely we wouldn't have to trade up to one of the top three picks to get a QB that would fit.

Agree Pete. My only complaint, and it's a small one, is that I'd like to see Paul get involved a little more. Frankly, I'd prefer he get Stallworth's reps, as I think it unlikely Donte is back next year.

I agree completely about Paul, though Dante is another player that is pivotal in my eyes. He's another that could hang on for at least part of the season dependent on Hanks rehab. While he's no world beater, he's fairly dependable, and very good as depth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.