• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Blognostications: 2011 - Week 15 @ NY Giants

Rymanofthenorth said:
...because better times are ahead, as a Redskins Fan we have to believe that.

Truer words were never spoken. As a fan you have to believe that, it's what keeps you coming back. There is usually enough each offseason to keep me interested and hopeful that things will improve. Unfortunately the Redskins have only had a winning record in 2 out of the last 12 years, and none since Gibbs left the second time, so it can be hard to see improvement, as it may not be quantifiable in terms of wins. Looks like I'll be following the draft and free agency closely again for things to keep my hopes up.

I havent been accused of being a pollyanna since Martyball, so when I say there are signs that we could build something, it should be taken seriously. For me the patsies game was the epiphany, we could have folded and mailed it in , but this team scrapped it out even though overmatched. we need a huge infusion of talent but at least we are seeing signs.

Yeah, that's one thing I've been happy to see...that they're playing hard. I haven't seen them quit. That says something good about the coaching. I'm sure the players have been made aware that they're playing not just to win this year but for a spot on next year's team, or at least to put out some good film so they can latch on to another team possibly.

I havent been accused of being a pollyanna since Martyball, so when I say there are signs that we could build something, it should be taken seriously. For me the patsies game was the epiphany, we could have folded and mailed it in , but this team scrapped it out even though overmatched. we need a huge infusion of talent but at least we are seeing signs.

See, I have to disagree with this even though there was a time I would have agreed. Right now, this team is a solid QB away from playing deep into Jan. That is all it is really missing. If they had a guy who could cut Rex's mistakes in half, we are leading the NFC East right now without any changes to the rest of the roster.

Would we be dominate? No, not even close. But we would be playing meaningful games in January and other NFC teams would worry about us.

Now, could we use more talent? Absolutely. But then every team in the NFL could. The Packers are short on defense, the 49ers short of talent at QB and WR, the Pats secondary is bad, the Steelers are old on the DL, and we could go on.

So sure, I would love to have an All Pro or two on the OL, a WR that other teams absolutely fear and a ball hawking secondary. I think those things will come too but right now we are only a solid field general who throws more TDs than INTs away from playoff football.

I agree with Neo - if we had competence at the QB position (or even Tim Tebow) we'd be 7-6, 8-5 and competing for a wild card spot. Not really sure how this can be argued - the OL didn't leave points on the field, Rex Grossman & John Beck did.

I'm not even talking Wild Card, Lanky. I think the argument can be made rather successfully that with solid play at the QB position this team wins both games against Dallas, the Philly and NE games. That makes us 8-5 and undefeated in the NFC East with the next best division record being 2-2 with 3 games to play. Even losing this weekend to the Giants would only tie us for the same record, leave us 1-1 head to head with them but we would still be tops in the NFCE on strength of our record within the division.

I'm not even talking Wild Card, Lanky. I think the argument can be made rather successfully that with solid play at the QB position this team wins both games against Dallas, the Philly and NE games. That makes us 8-5 and undefeated in the NFC East with the next best division record being 2-2 with 3 games to play. Even losing this weekend to the Giants would only tie us for the same record, leave us 1-1 head to head with them but we would still be tops in the NFCE on strength of our record within the division.

Good point, although it is a down-year for the division in general. I guess I meant generally, in any given year. But this year, for sure we could be challenging for the 3 or 4 seed.

Of course, improvement in all the other positions, OL, WR, and secondary in particular, would absorb, and in the case of the OL & WR, help limit the damage done by Grossman, thereby winning some of these close games, and we'd still be challenging for our division, and likely a wildcard.

Of course, improvement in all the other positions, OL, WR, and secondary in particular, would absorb, and in the case of the OL & WR, help limit the damage done by Grossman, thereby winning some of these close games, and we'd still be challenging for our division, and likely a wildcard.

I don't know, Ax. At some point the QB has to take over and win some games for you - something Grossman is capable of doing, but just doesn't do it consistently. 4 picks against the Eagles, the fumble against the Cowgirls...these are plays a good QB doesn't make, and keeps his team in the game.

I don't know, Ax. At some point the QB has to take over and win some games for you - something Grossman is capable of doing, but just doesn't do it consistently. 4 picks against the Eagles, the fumble against the Cowgirls...these are plays a good QB doesn't make, and keeps his team in the game.
Trust me, I'll be has happy as anyone the day we get a competent, reliable QB. Just stating that improving the rest of the roster can minimize Rex's inadequacy until that day.

No question about it, Ax. You are right.

My point was just that this current roster could win with only a change at the QB position.

No question about it, Ax. You are right.

My point was just that this current roster could win with only a change at the QB position.
Correct you are.

Upgrading to an average QB would do that.

In my scenario, it would take a lot of players to minimize the negative effects of one below average player. One and a half if we count Beck.

In yours, it takes one player to upgrade the positive effects of the whole team.

Yeah, I like yours better.

Imagine the leap forward if we can get all of the above, or at least most of, in the upcoming offseason. And it doesn't matter from where they come. Draft, UDFA, FA, trade, practice squad, or returning from IR.

This roster with a great qb would win, right up until that great QB got trashcanned and injured. Cutting grossmans mistakes would help, but how many of those mistakes come from pressure or from him not reading the pressure? truth is, we are (with a great QB) still a middle of the road team, our Oline holds us back and our recivers dont help much either.

great teams mitigate the need for a HOF QB, we need look no further than the 91 redskins we have been discussing, a great all around team with a solid to very good QB will beat a team that depends too heavily on one player. the odds of us getting a HOF qb right off the bat are very slim, even the greats needed a season or two to get their feet wet, but some of them were given better chances to excel by their team surrounding them with talent.

There is a reason we have looked great against bad defences and terrible against decent ones, I remain hopeful that this offseason we fill the majority of the holes and we should be playoff bound next season, if we arent, then we have a serious problem

Wait, I was reading your posting, and it seems that you are against the switch to the 3-4? When did that happen?

broken record here (me that is)! rex can't do it...none of you seem to absorb that message:

- he can't change his height limitations

- he can't change his mobility limitations

- he can't change his variable accuracy issues

- he can't change his decision-making patterns

the moment the competition elevates and the Skins are facing teams with top tier pressure defenses...Rex...while he has some positives...becomes a net liability. who wants a QB who can only function in near perfect conditions? I want a guy with all the throws, all the physical/mental skills....who can carry a team in those critical moments when the pressure is on and superior talent is needed.

This roster with a great qb would win, right up until that great QB got trashcanned and injured. Cutting grossmans mistakes would help, but how many of those mistakes come from pressure or from him not reading the pressure? truth is, we are (with a great QB) still a middle of the road team, our Oline holds us back and our recivers dont help much either.

Again, I disagree Ryman. A third to half of Rex's INT's have come with no pressure at all. He either just hasn't seen the guy who picked him off or flat missed the intended target. Worse, several times he has turned it over in scoring territory so we got nothing out of a good drive.

And while you are right about pressure causing some of his INT's, it is very possible that a smarter QB unloads the ball faster thus negating the pressure entirely.

Too many times this season, after the play is over, the broadcast team has shown Skins receivers running free in the oppositions secondary, often when a check down was hit or a middle route was thrown to and missed. It isn't a stretch to think a solid QB, not spectacular but solid, hits some of those, especially if he has any mobility at all.

Like I said, not dominate with average QB play, but competitive, winning the Division and playing meaningful football in January.

Grossman is a bad example, he is a boom or bust guy who more often busts, but he has been pressured a lot this year and hit a LOT, his fumbles are annoying but often come because we didnt protect him well at all especially on the edges.

Having a QB who gets the ball out quickly would help, having rceeivers who get open quickly would help, but having an Oline that doesnt look like it belongs in the WLAF would help the most.

I actually think a solid QB would have helped us win one or two extra games, but this team is more flawed than you think, we cant stop the run, we cant run with consistency and worst of all we cant cover dominant receivers at all.

we have had some bad luck but in a few games we had a horsehoe as well. either way it doesnt matter we have what we have, and hopefully this offseason thats gonna change for the better, if it doesnt Al might explode, and I might be handing him the gas and matches.

I would agree that the Giants are not a Super Bowl team and we will give them fits on Sunday, but probably come up short.

I'm sure we will get several OL in the draft - that will make everyone happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.