• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Peyton Manning discussion

Personally, I would rather see them use their top pick on a QB, and let Peyton Manning finish his career elsewhere. But it would be intriguing to see Peyton running this offense - he's not very mobile as others have pointed out, however he can avoid QB pressures/sacks with the best of them. His OLs in the 2000s were never phenomenal OLs - a LOT of that was on him and his playcalling, reading the defenses, etc.

I would rather draft a top QB too. I would be okay with trading for Manning if we were picking in the teens and had no chance of getting an elite QB prospect but we will be picking between four and six. The only other way I would be okay with Manning is if the Colts cut him and we could get him without giving up draft picks. And that is probably not going to happen.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

under almost no circumstance would I want Peyton right now. in a year or two AFTER we have a solid foundation and an oline that has gelled and can protect at even a decent rate? hell yeah. if we signed him now, you may as well give up on us building for the future because he wouldnt want that he would want us to get guys who would help him win now. while the two are not mutually exclusive, they may as well be.

I vote NO. All caps.

Peyton has done exceptionally well in his career, but he's not what we need. Here's my offseason plan - for anybody that gives a ****.

Step 1: Draft the best QB possible at the top of the 1st round. RG3 is fine.....Andrew Luck is fine....even Matt Barkley is fine if he comes out.

Step 2: Load up on quality OL thru the draft and free agency.

Step 3: Ignore all other positions. RB will be fine. WR will suffice (no names do well if they have a good QB to work with). Defense will be just fine (Yeah, we could use a piece or three, but whatever. I'd rather focus on QB and OL right now....even if it means giving more points a game for a season).

Step 4: Get on with it.

Seriously....ignore everything else.....get a young, stud of a QB and load up on OL.

Thanks for listening....

I could live with that, LSF. Although I would like to see a CB taken in there somewhere too...it isn't a deal breaker, you understand. Just something I would like.

When we wrote about the Suck for Luck campaign before Halloween, we suspected that the Miami Dolphins would end up with Andrew Luck, either by producing the worst record in football or via trade. Since then, though, the Dolphins have gone 4-3, pushing them away from the Luck sweepstakes. The Colts had a 33.2 percent chance of getting the first overall pick when we wrote our initial piece, but heading into Week 15, Football Outsiders estimates their chances of holding the first overall pick at 91.1 percent. If the Colts want Andrew Luck, they're going to get him.

So then, let's assume that the Colts will want to draft the best quarterback prospect of his generation and avoid blocking him with the best quarterback from the last one. We can also be pretty sure that Peyton Manning will have input into where he goes next. Why? The Colts owe Peyton Manning a $28 million option bonus that comes due before the 2012 league year, and if they were to pay him the bonus and then trade him, Manning's cap hold would be an untenable $38.8 million. If the Colts want to receive some sort of return for Manning, they will need to restructure his contract to avoid paying that bonus, and as part of those negotiations Manning will undoubtedly get some say over where he can be traded. If not, the Colts would have to cut Manning, and Peyton would get to play wherever he chooses. Either way, Peyton Manning is not going to end up somewhere he isn't willing to play.

With that in mind, we can begin handicapping the Peyton Manning trade market. Someone is going to end up with the best quarterback in NFL history, and we can narrow that destination down to one of eight teams that are likely to be running. And let's start by eliminating the 23 teams that aren't going to be involved in a Manning trade this offseason, Guess Who style.

"Does your team already have a franchise quarterback?"
Eliminates: Bears, Chargers, Eagles, Falcons, Giants, Packers, Patriots, Raiders, Saints, Steelers

It's almost impossible to envision any of these 10 teams both giving up on their current starting quarterback and then outlaying a serious amount of draft picks and cash to acquire Manning. Carson Palmer may not be a franchise quarterback, but the Raiders just gave up a first- and second-round pick to treat him like one. The Falcons might like Peyton more than Matt Ryan, but after dealing their 2012 first-round pick to Cleveland in the Julio Jones trade, it's hard to see how they could cobble together a package the Colts would accept.

"Does your team already have Tim Tebow?"
Eliminates: Broncos

Should speak for itself.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...-possible-destinations-for-one-peyton-manning

Interesting. If Manning went to the 9ers, they could be a real force.

If he went to Dallas, he'd be as bad off as he would be here - their OL is putrid also. The only reason Romo survives is his scrambling ability.

I could live with that, LSF. Although I would like to see a CB taken in there somewhere too...it isn't a deal breaker, you understand. Just something I would like.

Yeah, me too Neo. I'm not blind to the fact that we need help in some other areas, too. CB is one...safety is another...particularly with Landry so up and down. I'm hoping Fletcher will come back, but if not, LB could be a need as well. Still, I do hope we concentrate HEAVILY on OL and OL and OL. Franchise QB and OL. The rest, really, will take care of itself.

Yeah, me too Neo. I'm not blind to the fact that we need help in some other areas, too. CB is one...safety is another...particularly with Landry so up and down. I'm hoping Fletcher will come back, but if not, LB could be a need as well. Still, I do hope we concentrate HEAVILY on OL and OL and OL. Franchise QB and OL. The rest, really, will take care of itself.

I agree whole heartedly! Just making our O-Line better, alone makes our defense better.

If he went to Dallas, he'd be as bad off as he would be here - their OL is putrid also. The only reason Romo survives is his scrambling ability.

I disagree, Lanky. Peyton has not had more than a middle of the road line his whole time in Indy. He is so much better at reading the defense, getting his line in the right protection call and hitting the right receiver than anyone we have seen in Washington or the Cowboys have seen in Dallas in years that he would immediately make both offenses much better, perhaps as much better as to be a Top 5 offense.

Consider, both Washington and Dallas have better running games then he has had in years and both have better defenses than he has had since Indy won the Super Bowl.

Sure, he would still get hit and still get sacked but not as much as Grossman and he wouldn't be running for his life like Romo does a good bit in Dallas. Nor do I think he would get hit anymore in either of those places than he is getting hit right now with the Colts.

I would think that if we did make a move for Peyton Manning that the O-line would have several new players on it.

I would think that if we did make a move for Peyton Manning that the O-line would have several new players on it.

Jeff Saturday is a free agent, isn't he? They've been together a long time.

Manning's entire career, I believe.

He signed with the Colts in Peyton's 2nd year. But for all intents and purposes, yeah.

I would like to qualify the Saturday statement by saying it was tongue in cheek. I am not a proponent of signing Peyton or Jeff Saturday. :laugh:

As of right now we are 4-9, as it is about an hour before the Skins vs Giants start. I am hoping we win out if that is the case we will be 7-9. If we are picking in the teens I don't think we will get one of the top QBs this year in the draft. I like Brian Hoyer and Matt Flynn but I am not really that optimistic that we could depend on either guy to be a great QB for us going forward. If Shanahan sees a QB in the draft and says I can make this guy a very good QB but he is a project then I don't have a problem signing Manning. If he is 100% and he is cut by the Colts. I wouldn't trade for him!!!! Two reasons for that, first I wouldn't trade a high draft pick for 36 year old QB with a bad neck. Plus if we traded for him we might have to pay him an obscene amount of money. If Shanahan is looking at a QB end of 1st or start of the 2nd round, like Ryan Tannehill then I wouldn't get Manning either. This is just if he likes a QB fourth round or later.

If the Colts restructure Manning's contract are looking to trade him, then I would rather just move up in the draft and take RGIII. Barkley has some upside too but he just makes me nervous.

Adam Schefter was tweeting today that the Rams are telling him they believe in Bradford and won't be looking for a QB in the draft. Of course, no one knows. I haven't seen anything from Bradford making me believe he's a top tier QB, so I hope we don't go that route.

Moss with a funny quote:

barrysvrluga Barry Svrluga
Me: "Ever notice a difference in Rex after he throws a pick?" Santana Moss: "“I doubt it, because he threw a lot this year."

Adam Schefter was tweeting today that the Rams are telling him they believe in Bradford and won't be looking for a QB in the draft. Of course, no one knows. I haven't seen anything from Bradford making me believe he's a top tier QB, so I hope we don't go that route.

He looked pretty damned good last year. They just pulled a Vinny and completely ignored their OLine, and he's been knocked around all year. I think he could be pretty good, and if the price to get him wasn't too high, I'd listen.

Shanahan would make a move for Bradford if he was on the trading block, no doubt in my mind. He tried to move up and take him two years ago before the draft, when he couldn't get a deal done with the Rams he traded for McNabb.

In a recent interview (before the Rams game) he said that he thought Bradford would be a top five QB in a couple of years.

I don't think the Rams trade him but Shanahan would be interested if they did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.