• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Why Shanahan needs to go NOW

The rookies are in their first season. Shanny is in his second.
And what he has done in his 2nd season, with better players ? Gotten worse.
Does that sound like progression or rebuilding to you.
There's plenty of examples of new coaches coming in, and improving somewhat, and in some cases significant improvement after their 2nd cases. But going backwards, with better players ? That's inexcusable.
Better players?

You just said the jury was still out on them.
Make up your mind.

I think you and alot of Skins fans, underestimated just how much damage the GM duo of Snyder/Cerrato did to this roster.

And, it's my opinion that Shanny's first year here, he realized just how bad the talent level here was, thus the move to acquire more picks and get younger....that's a GOOD thing.

Gotta let Shanny see this through and then judge him once he gets the offense rebuilt.

Better players?

Make up your mind.

Yeah, you're kind of all over the place Fear. You can't say we have better players in one post and then say our team is so bad of course the rookies will all make the team in another.

And I'm not offended by your take, but I think you are selling this draft class short. Players like Neild, Hurt and Gomes (two 7th rounders and a 5th rounder) have all been solid contributors to this team. They aren't superstars like Kerrigan, sure. But they will be on this team next year and beyond and will, at the very least, provide solid depth, which is something that this team hasn't had from it's own draft in a long, long time. Nobody expects to draft 12 stars, or even twelve starters, an offseason. But this draft looks like it may provide up to four starters (Kerrigan, Helu, Jenkins and Hankerson) and three or four backups. That's a huge draft, no matter how crappy your team is. Even if Jenkins and Hankerson don't work out we did pretty well.

But as you say, the jury is still out on many of these guys, so why would you switch coaches on them after one year? That sort of thinking is what's gotten us into this mess in the first place.

And why would we get rid of the first guy to understand the importance of the draft since Snyder bought the team? Another thing that's put us in the hole we're in.

The merry-go-round of coaches needs to stop. It's killed this team for too long. Let the current guy take his shot.

Our 2011 draft was the best draft we've have in decades. The fact that the guys standing out on this team right now are young guys, often mid-round picks is a very positive sign. On top of that we've managed to collect 9 picks for the next draft and 8 for the one after that. So not only are we making good selections with our picks, but we're making more of them as well. These are very good trends we haven't seen around these parts in 20 years. I wouldn't overlook them lightly.

Henry is correct. The volume of draft picks is important. This blog writer detailed it in the NFC South. Clearly a genius. :)

Fear, it would be catastrophic to fire Shanahan this year. Next year, if he picks a loser in the draft? Eh, maybe then. But I still think we need to give him time. As Henry and DP have said, this year's draft was remarkable, and may turn out to be one we always remember. I'm a little confused how you think it was a bad draft, when they had (virtually) no offseason and an abbreviated training camp to get ready with, and yet most of the rookies have contributed at this point, some very very impressivley so?

I'm one who did NOT want Shanny before we hired him.
Was completely disappointed that we DID hire him.
I believed then, as I do now, that he is overrated, and will not succeed here.
But, we hired him. And if we're ever gonna break the string of constant change of coach, system, and the players to run that system, we have to start sometime.

Firing him after this season would be more detrimental to the franchise than rehiring Norval ****ing Turner.

For those who think we are a joke already, this would only justify it.

A 6 or fewer win 2012 season, with only minimal improvement?
Injuries or not, buh-bye.

And everybody in the football world, while they might not agree with the move, would understand, and agree, that he was given ample time and resources, and still provided the justification for his removal.

A requirement any future coach would need to believe he has, in order to do the job for which he was hired.

I think it's also important to factor in the injuries. Injuries aren't an excuse, but they are a reality, esp. for a talent thin team. What happened right after the bye was a massacre. We lost sixty percent of our line, our top running back, top wide receiver, all pro tight end, and God help us our best qb for three games because of pneumonia.

We effectively were playing the entire second and third unit against everyone else's starters.

Hard to fault the Shanahans for not excelling under those conditions.

It is time this organization showed some patience and let a coach work his plan. Part of the problem is we go 1-2 years and start over. Shanahan now has years of problems by a dysfunctional organization to fix. It will take some time.

I believe the mess Cerrato created is why we were rejected by many other coaches. Our biggest failure, looking back, is not sticking with Marty S.

As for the list of young coaches with success, only 4-6 of those have done it on a consistent basis.

Lets look at the Saints, Packers, and Ravens. Is the coaches the reason they are winning or is it due to a strong organization?

Ask yourself this question. Would Sean Peyton or Harbaugh had the same success here with Cerrato making the player moves?

We are FAR from a playoff team. Surely not a year away.
We have holes like Swiss Cheese, that will take years to fill, if we fill them at all.

We went from having the 31st ranked defense to 10th or 11th in one year after spending alot of draft picks and attention on defense. If we do that with the offense during this upcoming offseason, then there is no reason to think we can't have that kind of improvement. A top 12 offense to go along with a top 10 defense (it should get even better next year) could take us to the playoffs.

Then again maybe I am still drinking to much of the Kool-Aid. But for now pass me another glass.

Last edited:
skins fan we went from 11 to 31 to 11 thats not nearly as impressive as the "improvement" that you guys love to quote.

I was not ever a huge Shannhan fan and have been openly against him after the defence debacle and the Mcrapp ridiculousness, however firing him now would be counter productive, I wont be very forgiving after this offseason however, imho he has this offseason to show he can build a team or its byby

All I can say, and I'm sorry if this has been addressed: if you think the head coach is the reason we are struggling, you have not been paying attention.

For every young gun or coordinator that has had success, you can find one which bombed. Don’t forget about guys like Josh Daniels, Spagnolo, Cremmel, and Sporano.

Just like first round draft picks, selecting a coach is not always a lock for success. The good teams have stability and a strong FO.

Better players?

Make up your mind.
Yeah, you're kind of all over the place Fear. You can't say we have better players in one post and then say our team is so bad of course the rookies will all make the team in another.

I'm not contradicting or going "all over the place". Sometimes you just have to read between the lines. When I say better players, I'm not talking about our "12 draft choices" because most of them have hardly been on the field. That's why the jury is still out on them. The better players I was referring to are the FA's we signed.

I think the "better players" are a combination of our draft picks and our free agent pickups. I think the best player on defense right now is Ryan Kerrigan and I think our best player on offense right now is Roy Helu. However, the D-line being better plus Jabar Gaffney and Chris Chester (at times) have really added to our team.

Another note: Can you believe the future QB of the Washington Redskins, Mr. Matt Barkley just got snubbed by the Heisman? Not even a nomination!

Barkley is overrated IMO. he isnt ready for prime time. I am leaning more towards RGIII now too.

I like RGIII too. I get a funny feeling he isn't come out this year. Call it a hunch. I hope I am wrong but I would be okay with either one I think Barkley is the real deal. USC QBs scare me a little but I have seen two or three of his games and I was impressed.

I have no idea. I like the fact that he is supposed to be immensely intelligent and goes about his business in a very methodical fashion. on the other hand...I see his build and he doesn't look like someone built for an NFL pounding.

I have no idea. I like the fact that he is supposed to be immensely intelligent and goes about his business in a very methodical fashion. on the other hand...I see his build and he doesn't look like someone built for an NFL pounding.

Yeah, I saw him for the first time this week when they were talking about the Heisman finalists and I thought "THAT'S him?" He looks like he'd break in two if he took a blindside hit in the NFL.

Truth is, if we get the rookie qb most are clamoring for Shanahan has at least two more years with the team. We won't be able to fairly judge him with a rookie qb and that means that next year is probably a mulligan... unless the wheels come completely off the cart.

Burg, even with a rookie QB I think a 4-5 win season in 2012 will be the end of Shanahan. The defense should be dominant by next year and the offense, with the WRs and Helu and Hurt maturing and hopefully an infusion of players through the draft, should be at least adequate. If that doesn't happen, and it doesn't translate to some type of improvement in the win column I wouldn't be surprised to see Shanahan get the hook.

Last edited:
Burg, even with a rookie QB I think a 4-5 win season in 2012 will be the end of Shanahan. The defense should be dominant by next year and the offense, with the WRs and Helu and Hurt maturing and hopefully an infusion of players through the draft, should be at least adequate. If that doesn't happen, and it doesn't relate to some type of improvement in the win column I wouldn't be surprised to see Shanahan get the hook.

agree. I think Shanahan has to go 9-7 maybe 10-6 next season. he can do that with a big haul draft and rex at the helm....but he'll never get to the SB with a Rex QB'ing the team. QB is the key.

Shanahan has to get more time than that if we want this team and owner to be viewed as anything but an impatient laughing stock. Even if the team is in the tank next year too.

Although, I don't think it will be in the tank. This team is just a couple of FG's away from being 6-6 and in first place in the NFC East. They played the Eagles tight with Rex throwing 4 INT's and still only lost by 7 points (seriously think about that for a minute). They played the Jets tight for 55 minutes.

And all that without talking about how much the injuries have hurt us this year. Granted, that could happen any year.

With a QB who can hit the open man and cut the number of INT's just in half, this team could be 8-4 right now and that isn't a homer talking. Anyone who has watched the games has seen the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.