• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Laron Landry Out Again. Pay Him, Or Let Him Walk?

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
So Landry has been ruled out again this weekend due to injury. He has missed 16 of the last 24 games.

As everyone knows, this is the final year in his contract, and he'll likely be looking for big money at the end of the season.

Is he worth a big contract? Or would you prefer that we let him walk?

If we weren't already thin, in our entire secondary, both corners and safetys, I'd sat let him go.
But our secondary is hurting so bad, I think he's worth a gamble, and we have so many other needs, I doubt that we get a decent safety in the draft, unless we find one in FA.

Well, the good news is that Landry being out should give us time to evaluate Gomes. Atogwe has been a disappointment due mostly to injury, so if Gomes doesn't play well, I think we almost have to resign Landry. But if Gomes plays very well, we might be all right without Landry.

Also, I don't see how a guy who has missed 16 out of his last 24 games from injury, can "demand big money" as a FA

This is right along the lines of what I was thinking. I'm all for having him back, under the condition that it's on the team's terms, not Laron's.

There was a period in Laron's tenure in Washington where we were unsure what we had in him. Then, he had a nice breakthrough season and really showed flashes of what he could become. Afterwards, the injury bug got the best of him. I don't see how that warrants him having the advantage in negotiations.

I truly believe that given the injury status, and the fact that we have largely been a losing team during Laron's career in Washington (not to say it falls squarely on his shoulders), this is a case where you as a front office set a price that you are willing to pay and don't fall into the trap of bending over backwards for the guy.

I'd love to get Laron back for solid player money, but I wouldn't offer him a superstar's contract for two reasons...

first, the aforementioned injury bug that has killed most of two seasons, but more importantly, other than one eight game stretch he has always been about potential. He's not a superstar. He takes too many bad angles, allows too many broken tackles, and doesn't generate enough big plays (turnovers).

After so many years, we can't be relying on his potential to emerge. He is what his performance has shown him to be. He's a good, but not great safety who has difficulty in coverage. In a way, he reminds me of Alvin Walton who was a great linebacker/safety except Alvin maximized his physical gifts while Landry has not, but the onfield presence is the same.

Don't see giving big money nor a long term contract to a safety that has constant issues with his achilles.

I just worry about adding on another need to this team. We already need several offensive positions not limited to QB and OL. Plus on Defense we certainly need another CB and maybe another ILB to the replace the great London Fletcher.

However, I don't see Shanahan and Allen signing this guy to a long term deal. I say they franchise him. Now that could be about 8 million for 2012 which is a lot but that way maybe he could prove that he deserves a long-term deal if he could get thru next season healthy.

Obviously, it depends on what the plan is at other positions. If we have a top six or seven pick then I think we would look to draft a QB but if we get into twelve or even the low teens then I think we would bring in a free agent to compete with Grossman. A free agent QB could cost money, plus are we looking at a free agent WR like Vincent Jackson. Keep in mind how much Shanahan wanted him when he came out and just missed drafting him. So it might be a little early to speculate but I lean toward the Franchise tag unless for Landry unless we spend on a lot of money in free agency.

Well, the good news is that Landry being out should give us time to evaluate Gomes. Atogwe has been a disappointment due mostly to injury, so if Gomes doesn't play well, I think we almost have to resign Landry. But if Gomes plays very well, we might be all right without Landry.

This is a good point too. Atogwe health and Gomes development could certainly play key points on whether or not Landry is back.

Give him a third round tender. At the very least, we could end up with an extra third round pick. Or we get him for a decent price in 2012. Win-win.

According to "sources" Landry has already failed a league drug test.

He's not being suspended because he didn't fail multiple tests, but I'm not sure this guy is in our best interests. He may have to go.

LL is out again. Hearing from some of the insiders that this injury will continue if he doesn't get surgery. In other words, next year will be like this year - more of the same.

However, if LL elects to have surgery now, he would likely miss all of 2012.

Ok - for all of the armchair GMs here - what do you do?

Thats a rough decision I wouldn't like to make, if I were him. Being a contract year would mean that he might get a pretty bad contract if he missed all of next year. His best bet may be to resign with the Skins for a 2-3 year deal that would allow him to have the surgery, recover and then work on a bigger deal after that. If I were a GM, I would consider consider signing him to a relatively small, reasonable deal for a year or two, with his promise that he would take surgery and hopefully recover to full strength.

I don't see how any team is going to give him a big payday at this point.

Landry may be a good player and have potential, but if he can't stay on the field is he any good? As someone mentioned, give him a 3rd round tender and let him leave.

For all the knocks on Doughty the thing is you can count on him. We need someone to play all 16 games. The good teams don't have a revolving door at as many positions as we do.

Depending on what doctor's I trusted told me, I would look at making a performance based offer.

When the guy is healthy he is one of the best Strong Safety's in the game today and can be a game changer. I have seen signs this year of playing with more control and it is obvious that Haslett is better at using him "right" than any DC we have had since he was drafted.

My feeling is he will be another in a long line of players we brought in and never were able to get the most from them who will end up leaving, bitter, and playing at an all-pro level when they arrive on the new team, i.e. Carlos Rogers...

My feeling is he will be another in a long line of players we brought in and never were able to get the most from them who will end up leaving, bitter, and playing at an all-pro level when they arrive on the new team, i.e. Carlos Rogers...

Geez! That's a real pick-me-up post I was looking for today.:rotflmao:

I believe he needs surgery on that achilles. I also believe that we have seen the best of him, at least as good as we will ever see him as a Redskin.

Barring successful surgery, and some very good luck with other leg problems, I don't see him having a very long career wherever he may end up. Maybe 3 more years.

Geez! That's a real pick-me-up post I was looking for today.:rotflmao:

I believe he needs surgery on that achilles. I also believe that we have seen the best of him, at least as good as we will ever see him as a Redskin.

Barring successful surgery, and some very good luck with other leg problems, I don't see him having a very long career wherever he may end up. Maybe 3 more years.
Agreed since safeties rely on speed and the Achilles injury (even post-surgery) will likely affect how he performs from here on out.

Nothing lost by signing him to a cheap deal but if he wants a big payday, I say we let him walk.

I also have to wonder if he could pass a HGH test. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if we let him go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.