• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

DC Examiner: Planning For A Future With Rex Grossman?

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
I just stole this from Redskins News, and though this was worthy of this forum.

Rex Grossman is close to keeping his job in 2012.One more win and the Washington Redskins are probably out of next year's top 10 draft picks. Obtaining quarterback Andrew Luck was never possible, but taking Matt Barkley or Landry Jones would also become increasingly improbable if the Redskins draft after the opening eight selections.

Without a chance at a top passer, the Redskins may take the best player available like they did with linebacker Ryan Kerrigan last spring. There's nothing wrong with adding good players like Kerrigan, but the Redskins really need a passer to build around over the next few years.

If Grossman finishes well, Shanahan might wait a round or two for a quarterback to develop or simply wait one more year.

And come October 2012 when Grossman slumps, everyone will wonder how the Redskins kept themselves in such a mess.

Yikes.

Certainly the Redskins could use their top pick for a right tackle, receiver, cornerback or even safety if they don't re-signing LaRon Landry. If Washington gets someone as good as Kerrigan, that's a real plus.

But Washington can't seriously rebuild without obtaining a franchise passer. Maybe it's Barkley or Jones; maybe they're busts like Heath Shuler. They are no guarantees, but the Redskins haven't possessed a long-term passer since Mark Rypien departed in 1994. The revolving door behind center continues to lead to mediocre teams.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/2011/12/rick-snider-planning-future-grossman/1970596

Last edited:
Uhhhh....

Uhhhh....

Uhhhh....

Deja Vu all over again?

LOL Boone. And I wasn't going to drink tonight.

The thought of this happening never really crossed my mind.

That sound you heard was FanSince's head exploding.

If we have to draft a developmental QB, and don't get Manning :), I could see this happening.

The idea of Sexy Rexy mentoring our young QB makes me cry a little.

And if we go safety or RT in the first round, I may just snap.

A Julio Jones type WR--a real weapon? Sure, but that type of talent likely won't be there if we are picking at 15.

This is going to be a crazy draft. Not an easy position for Shanahan if we win a few here.

This presumes that none of the other teams that are currently in the top 10 will win if we do. Plus it also presumes that teams that might move ahead of us will want a QB.

Teams behind us:

Arizona which is currently behind us could conceivably beat Cleveland and/or Seattle.

Seattle could beat the Rams or Arizona. Either way one of these two teams will win that game.

Eagles likely won't draft a QB.

San Diego won't likely draft a QB and will likely win a game or two.

The Browns may not win another game but have they given up on Colt McCoy?

Teams ahead of us:

Miami could conceivably lose the rest of their games.

Carolina is not going to draft a QB.

Will Jacksonville give up on Gabbert after one season? They're likely to beat the Colts at least anyway.

Minnesota will not likely give up on Ponder after one season. Besides, they might beat the Redskins.

The Rams won't give up on Bradford yet.

I just don't see how the Redskins fall out of getting the second or third QB available.

I agree, one of those top QBs should still be there. However, just like with Gabbert, just because a QB is there doesn't mean that we will take him. I like Luck, Barkley and RG3 and would be happy with any of them. That doesn't mean Shanny does.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

That's what I'm arguing, China. I will add that I think the Browns will give up on McCoy, barring a late season surge from him. He just isn't good. And Jax paid a big price to move up to get Gabbert (Thank you, Jax!), so I don't see any way they draft a QB in teh first round.Ari is behind us, but they doled out a huge contract to Kolb, not sure I see them giving up on him yet either.

A lot of these teams (like us) have holes plenty of other places, and will probably try to talk themselves into waiting a year or two. They will try to convince themselves that Kolb (or whoever) will play better with a full training camp and off season workouts.

Seattle, Miami, Cleveland and Indy are going to be the teams who draft a QB this year. Most people consider Luck, RGIII, Barkley, Jones (though maybe not after last night :() to be the top QBs, with Tannehill a good developmental prospect.

Indy is getting Luck. Period. I'm not so sure we don't have a chance to pick second from that group. Miami is playing really well right now, and should have beaten Dallas on Thanksgiving for their 4th straight W. Seattle just whooped up on Philly and has beaten some good teams this year. Plus, they have games against the NFC West left. Cleveland? Very up and down, hard to tell.

We won't win out, I think Moss being back caught the Seahags by surprise last week, which won't happen again. The Jets aren't very good, but their D will give Grossman troubles, then we will lose to the Pats.

Those who want us to lose out will be happier; those who want us to win out will be encouraged by much improved play.

That sound you heard was FanSince's head exploding.

If we have to draft a developmental QB, and don't get Manning :), I could see this happening.

The idea of Sexy Rexy mentoring our young QB makes me cry a little.

:) ... you nailed that one!

I have faith Shanallen are going to improve this team. I don't have faith...based on actions to date...that they have any clue what they are doing with the QB position.

what if...as this article hints.....in the worst of all possible worlds.....rex is the only option going forward? we'll be back next year talking about how 8-8 was really good and we're headed in the right direction....with no hope at all....for championship runs.

I gotta believe they will do whatever they have to do this offseason to get their QB. Having said that, it doesn't necessarily have to be 1 of the top 3. I could see them keeping Rex and drafting a second tier QB, like a Dalton, if they see a guy that they think is a good fit. I could also see them trading up to get 1 of the top 3.

LOL Boone. And I wasn't going to drink tonight.

The thought of this happening never really crossed my mind.

Go over to the Tilted Kilt, have some fish and chips, and a bunch of good beer. At least there's a lot to look at besides the game there.....

There is no way we stick with Grossman. That is all.

There is no way we stick with Grossman. That is all.

Even if we draft one of the "other" QBs in the draft, I don't think we get rid of Grossman, and he may even start. Cutler didn't start right away for Shanahan, and he moved up to grab him! Grossman (or some other vet) is going to be the opening day starter in 2012, you can bet on it.

What I mean is there is no way we don't pick up a QB. Sure, Grossman may hold the spot for a rook, but there's no way he's The Guy.

Also, four QBs are not going to be drafted with the first eight picks. Too many of the lousy teams already have their QBs. The only way that many QBs goes early is if teams trade up, and if we aren't in the top eight (or whatever) we'll be one of those teams.

Hey, if Rex starts opening day 2012 because the rook we drafted in April hasn't learned everyone's names in the locker room yet and Shanny at least wants him to be on a first name basis with the four new offensive linemen before he makes the switch...I'd be okay with that.

Hey, if Rex starts opening day 2012 because the rook we drafted in April hasn't learned everyone's names in the locker room yet and Shanny at least wants him to be on a first name basis with the four new offensive linemen before he makes the switch...I'd be okay with that.

Four new offensive lineman?

You are quite the optimist aren't you, Om? :)

I 'spect so.

It comes down to a simple choice....get busy livin', or get busy dyin'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.