• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Is this the sign of a virus ?

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
I've noticed lately that when I'm using my desktop PC, my cursor will suddenly appear at the extreme opposite side of my screen, without me even going that direction with my mouse.
It doesn't seem like it's a matter of the Windows setting to control the speed of the mouse, because the cursor doesn't actually travel high-speed to the other part of the screen, it actually suddenly APPEARS there, without visibly transporting there.
It's freaking me out. Not only do I wonder whether it's a virus, but I wonder whether I'm being hacked. Because it reminds of when I would call Technical Support at the job and the Tech person remotely takes over my mouse from another location so they can make proper adjustments to the screen.
For a very brief moment, every once in a while, it seems just like that - for a millisecond, my mouse is randomly moved over to the other side of the screen through no action of my own, as if it someone is controlling it for a fraction of a second.
I've run all kinds of anti-virus and anti-spyware on it, but it still does it.
Anyone heard of this happening, or know a possible cause ?

change out your mouse before you get too deep in to the guts of your machine. my mouse did that and a simple swap fixed it.
I did the same thing a while back. If you have an old mouse with the ball in it, take out the ball, and look at the rollers inside. They will be caked with grime. If you scrape it all off, your problem will be solved. If you have an optical mouse, it could be a hair or dust blocking the lens.

But like Mike, I have had to buy a new mouse too, because the mouse was just screwed. Check the connection to the unit too.

Well if a faulty mouse is the culprit, that would be a huge relief, considering the other possibilities. But it will probably take a while to determine if that fixes it, since the phenomenon does not happen often. Thanks guys

excellent advice from mike and ex. always rule out the obvious/simple first before working your way toward the complex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.