A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Default Redskins.com: Skins release Choice, sign Royster to active roster

The Redskins signed running back Evan Royster from the practice squad and released running back Tashard Choice, the team announced on Tuesday.

Taking Royster's place on the practice squad is running back Tristan Davis, who had a brief stint with the Redskins earlier this season.

Roster, 6-1 and 213 pounds, had spent the first 11 weeks on the Redskins' practice squad. He was drafted by the club in the sixth round of the 2011 NFL Draft out of Penn State.

Royster was prolific at Penn State, finishing his college career as the school's all-time leading rusher with 3,932 yards and 29 touchdowns on 686 carries while adding 61 receptions for 562 yards and three touchdowns.

Royster is a native of Chantilly, Va., a few miles from the team's Ashburn, Va., headquarters. He attended Westfield High School.

With the addition of Royster to the active roster, the Redskins have had 10 of their 12 draft choices from the 2011 NFL Draft on their active roster during the season.

The Redskins claimed Choice off waivers from the Dallas Cowboys on Oct. 31.

He played in one game -- last Sunday's game vs. Dallas -- and could not provide a spark to the Redskins' struggling run game. He posted just six carries for seven yards against this former team.

Davis, 5-10 and 212 pounds, originally joined the Redskins’ practice squad on Oct. 25 before being released on Nov. 8.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Makes me wonder if we signed Choice for an intell against the girls, either way, I like it!
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    Makes me wonder if we signed Choice for an intell against the girls, either way, I like it!
    I thought the same thing although Choice showed absolutely NOTHING. Still, cutting him after just one opportunity against THAT defense is a little suspect. Pretty obvious but no matter. Looking forward to seeing Royster get some carries.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Virginia

As long as FatSlob is still the DCor in Dallas, we'll have a good idea of his schemes now. It was a good choice to have him on the roster for a while.

Last edited by Burgundy Burner; 11-23-11 at 08:59 AM.
    0 0 0 0

The simplicity in me is complicated.
    I live in my own little world, but that's ok. They know me here.
    Redskins Fan - Emeritus

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Glad to see that the Cowboys' third or fourth string running back is not the hope of the Washington Redskins' rushing attack going forward
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I really liked Royster in the preseason. Reminded me of the Terry Allen, Earnest Byner kind of back. Not that fast, not that strong, but at the end of the day he got you there and made the most out of his ability.

Glad to see the kid may get his chance.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

He's healthy and he runs North-South.

I don't think Royster will end up being the full-time starter, but he could be in the mix for one of the backup jobs.

I don't think Ryan Torain will be back in 2012 and its questionable whether Tim Hightower will ever regain his pre-injury form.

Helu and Royster may be the backs from the current roster that go into the 2012 offseason as part of the equation pending the draft and free agency.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Like I said, we should have done this from the beginning instead of picking up Choice.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Monroe View Post
    Like I said, we should have done this from the beginning instead of picking up Choice.
    Didn't really hurt us to pick him up. Not like we gave up anything for him.
    0 0 0 0

a/k/a - bird_1972

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

So now what?

Do the "Losers" want Royster to learn how to lose too? Along with all of our young guys. Cause losing is good?
    0 0 0 0

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

BGObsessed
    I live in the warmest city in the coldest province
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    UTEP

at the end of the day losing is losing, but there are worse ways to lose, its far worse getting beat down and not fighting back, but if this team can keep fighting, it doesnt matter if we lose because we will lose fighting, its if we just give up and start going through the motions, then we are screwed.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bird_1972 View Post
    Didn't really hurt us to pick him up. Not like we gave up anything for him.
    It kept Royster from being moving up, and you'll never really know what you have until the player sees real game action, so it slowed the evaluation process.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rymanofthenorth View Post
    at the end of the day losing is losing, but there are worse ways to lose, its far worse getting beat down and not fighting back, but if this team can keep fighting, it doesnt matter if we lose because we will lose fighting, its if we just give up and start going through the motions, then we are screwed.
    Agreed. I was referencing the "Losers". You know, the group that's hoping we lose out to guarantee drafting a franchise QB, which is only possible if you have a top 3 draft pick.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Agreed. I was referencing the "Losers". You know, the group that's hoping we lose out to guarantee drafting a franchise QB, which is only possible if you have a top 3 draft pick.
    It appears to be common debate on a lot of talk shows, do you root for your team to lose for a better pick. The whole "Suck for Luck" idea. The fact is if you look at the top QB's in the league right now, none of them were a top five pick. Aaron Rogers was picked at 25, Brees was a 2nd rounder and Brady was a 6th rounder. Rivers (even though he is not having a great year) Big Ben 1st round picks but not top three. Schaub, was a third round pick. So I 'm with you Ax. I refuse to root for my team to lose. Besides if Shanahan is as good as he thinks he is he should be able to find us a great QB in the 10 to 15 range.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Correction: Rivers was picked at #4.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Great players, at all positions, have come from everywhere. From the 1st overall, to the UDFA. Where you're drafted may determine pay, but it doesn't determine play.

Obviously, the sooner you pick, the more good players that are still available. What the "Losers" seem to ignore is that there are more bad players available too.

Hoping, or wishing, for your team to lose, in my mind, goes against everything that being a fan is supposed to be. I can't do it. I don't understand how anyone can. Though we all have the right to feel about it as we do.

I mean, it would be like making out with your sister. How could that EVER be OK?
    0 0 0 0