• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WPC: Mitchell Not Satisfied

Pappas

http://www.warpathconfidential.com/?p=1027

Mitchell Not Satisfied
Seventh-round selection believes he has more to offer

By John Pappas
Warpath Confidential Editor

The Washington Redskins used their final selection in the 2009 draft to select a wide receiver from Nevada named Marko Mitchell. This weekend, Mitchell beat out sixth-year player D.J. Hackett and two others to earn the fifth receiver spot on the 53-man roster.

But Mitchell didn’t even know he made the team until late Saturday.

“Actually the deadline had passed,” he said. “I went to the Notre Dame-Nevada game. I was down on the sidelines and my phone didn’t have service. So then when I moved around and got a little service I saw that I had voice mails. I said, 'Uh oh.’ All of the sudden I checked the voice mail and I got a call from [receivers coach Stan Hixon] just inviting me to come to church on Sunday.

Hixon did not mention his status in the message. Mitchell was content to wait.

“I wasn’t calling my agent and asking 'Did this happen, did that happen,’ or going on-line. I just knew that if I didn’t get a phone call and didn’t get a message, then I’m still here. I didn’t call people and ask them.”

Mitchell eventually learned that he had made the team. He is happy he made the cut, but is keeping it in perspective.

“It feels real good,” he said. “It’s a big relief to get some pressure off of your back. At the same time you know you’ve got to keep working hard.”

Click the link to read the article...

I can't wait to see what this kid brings to the field. I'm so glad he made the team - although it would have been pretty impossible for them to cut him.

Nice read. It’s refreshing to see someone interviewed who possesses quiet confidence and not the normal bravado crap you read most times. Let’s hope Marko gets some work in the goal line packages since he seems to have a nose for the end zone. If memory serves we had a problem with that last season.

I’d like to think that we’re slowly starting to turn the WR corps into a position of strength now that everyone is healthy. I’ll hold off judgment till the range goes hot though. I can’t wait for the season to get started.

Some guys higher on the depth chart might want to start looking over their shoulders. This guy is #5 right now but I am thinking he might have more to offer than at least two of the guys ahead of him. I really hope he is active on Sundays and given some offensive snaps.

kid is becoming a fav of mine. just hope it's not all talk -- needs to cut his teeth on special teams for now and blow somebody up every sunday.

kid is becoming a fav of mine. just hope it's not all talk -- needs to cut his teeth on special teams for now and blow somebody up every sunday.

Disagree, strongly. They need to get this kid in on offensive snaps, and pronto. Imagine a 5 WR set - Moss, Kelly, Randle-El, Cooley and Mitchell - who do you cover? Cooley, Moss, and Mitchell are ALL capable of beating one-on-one coverage, yet all must be respected. Kelly, with his ridiculous grabs, is also most likely very capable of beating one-on-one coverage...meaning all 4 must be doubled. As well all know, this is impossible. :)

Randle El won't be here in 2010 IMO so there is room to move up.

Also at some point either Kelly or Thomas will run out of goodwill as former #2 picks if their performance on the field is not there.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

actually agree with you lanky, but i was thinking if he is low man on the totem pole, opportunities to shine would first have to come on special teams. he may not be that far away though -- a hammy here, a hang nail there, and he's on first team offense.

If the kid keeps mastering the routes he his asked to run and doesn't make mistakes in practice I can see him stealing game snaps from Thomas who seems to be very up and down mentally. At this point, I get the impression (and this is just me reading between the lines so take it for what it's worth) that his speed is all that is really keeping Thomas in the game since Kelly has better hands and appears to run better routes. I think Mitchell has better hands than Thomas does as well so if he is route running is also better...

Well, you do the math.

Disagree, strongly. They need to get this kid in on offensive snaps, and pronto. Imagine a 5 WR set - Moss, Kelly, Randle-El, Cooley and Mitchell - who do you cover? Cooley, Moss, and Mitchell are ALL capable of beating one-on-one coverage, yet all must be respected. Kelly, with his ridiculous grabs, is also most likely very capable of beating one-on-one coverage...meaning all 4 must be doubled. As well all know, this is impossible. :)

I agree strongly LL, this is what WCO is about-too many receivers for the secondary to cover, spread the field wide open and somebody usually winds up open. This is a very talent-laden WR corps the Skins have now-time to use it.

That 5 WR set would be unstoppable....for two plays, at which point we'd be down to our #3 QB. :help:

One wonders what the offense might look like with Mitchell and Kelly on the outside and Moss in the slot...

Not full time, mind you, cause I want to see the 2 TE set with Davis and Cooley as well as the base set with Cooley and FB Mike Sellers but I can't help but wonder how much of a headache having Moss in the slot would be for most teams out there defensively, especially with to 6'4" guys on the outside. The setup sure works well for Welker in NE and Moss is a better athlete now than Welker has ever been.

Last edited:
I think a lot of the fantasy football scenarios here miss the point - if JC is flat on his back, it doesn't matter who's running routes or how intimidating they are. Someone's got to provide pass protection. We've shown an inability to do that at times with max protection against the better NFL defenses - color me skeptical we can consistently give JC time to throw if we try and stack receivers.

That 5 WR set would be unstoppable....for two plays, at which point we'd be down to our #3 QB. :help:

That's why you throw quick slants, on 3-step drops like New England does all the time, and destroys people with.

I think a lot of the fantasy football scenarios here miss the point - if JC is flat on his back, it doesn't matter who's running routes or how intimidating they are. Someone's got to provide pass protection. We've shown an inability to do that at times with max protection against the better NFL defenses - color me skeptical we can consistently give JC time to throw if we try and stack receivers.

Eh, 4 WRs then, leaving Cooley or Yoder in to block. Still impossible to double everyone.

And I hardly think 4 and 5 WR sets are "fantasy football," as they are employed in the NFL (and by the Skins in preseason) every Sunday.

That is why I was wondering about the 3WR set with Moss in the slot. It allows for a TE and RB who could provide a bit more protection or check down out lets as necessary if someone comes free early.

But you are right Boone. If the OL is as much of a problem this year as it was late last year it likely won't matter who is catching the ball. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.