• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

It's a passing league, but...

burgold

The Pro Bowler
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
I can't help noticing that two of the biggest turnarounds and successes in the league this year seem to be the 49ers and Tebow's Broncos. From what I understand, Tebow is practically playing a brand of football not seen in the NFL since the 1930's... and it's working. Likewise, the 49ers are a running team, a hard running team.

On the flip side, the Redskins are running for about 30 yards a game over the last five losses. Now, some of that is by choice and some of it is because we fall behind or have no line to create holes (or worse, our running backs are missing holes and cutbacks), but one can ask if the failure of the Redskins is the reason many of these other teams are successful.

Alex Smith was considered a bum and a bust before this year. Tebow only needs to throw a handful of times and complete two to get a win.

I'm not saying we don't need a qb. I'm really not. I'm not saying we need better running backs. What I am saying is that we need to stop emphasizing our weaknesses in our game plans... oh, and as we reconstruct this team, we might consider that our line is even a bigger weakness than our quarterback (though not by much)

Remember, with a good running game and a stout defense, Grossman was a Superbowl calibre quarterback.

They say it's a passing league, but teams are showing that there is more than one way to skin the pigskin.

Last edited:
Alex Smith is fascinating to me. I wonder if there is something in the schemes that Harbaugh is doing, or if he has simply matured to the point he is ready to lead an NFL team, or if there is something else entirely. He is a poster child for giving a long leash to QBs in the hope that maybe it takes longer for some than it did for Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco to step in and be effective.

As for the Skins, we don't have the line to run 35+ times a game. Our D is doing a great job of keeping us in games, but the line can't create holes. I will say I find it interesting that the running game seemed far more effective with Hightower than anyone else so far. That might be a saving grace for Timmy this off season as he negotiates a contract.

Helu's been actually pretty effective in spot duty... we just run so infrequently that it's hard to tell if he can carry a load. I obviously agree about the line not helping the rbs out.

There's something wrong with Torrain this year. He has so much less power seemingly than last year. I wonder if he's still hurt.

Sorry, but the Broncos are not one of the biggest turnarounds, it would have to be the Lions and 49er's but I see your point.

It's so nice to see that fundamental football still wins games in the league.

I'd rather be a physical, pop you in the mouth football team, than a finese team like the Packers.

One thing has always held true in this league: If you control the line of scrimmage, you win.
Guys like Brady,Rodgers,Brees, etc. aren't winning games if their butt is parked on the bench for 10 minutes a quarter.

Hopefully, we'll get back to that one of these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.