• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Save Money And Get Free Stuff

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
As most Americans are, my family is strapped for cash. As a result, we have tried different methods to get discounts or free things. Keep in mind, we do this legitimately. We don't call up restaurants that we haven't been to and tell them we hated our meal. Instead, we got creative.

My wife tried the extreme couponing thing. It works, but it takes way to much time and effort for my liking, so I took a different approach. I decided I was going to write down the name of every single product or corporation I could think of that I like, and email every single one of them. What I came up with was a list of 274 products and corporations, and took to the interwebz clicking the contact us link on each site, and typing away.

I have to start by letting you know that for this endeavor, autofill is the greatest thing ever. Also, you can write a generic messge, and copy and past it for each contact, but some require altering for the message to make sense. I only contacted companies and products that I genuinely like, or have been interested in using. If it was a product I hadn't tried, I didn't lie and say it was wonderful, I just asked for a sample or coupons.

In the end I found out two things. First, my wife thought she got the last laugh, because this took up way more time than her extreme couponing. The second lesson though, was I got the last laugh, because my returns so far have been more rewarding. I received an email from every company I contacted, and every day I have had a mailbox full of coupons and product, and I have only heard from about 10-15 of the companies so far, and all of them said I would be receiving something in the mail, so there is plenty more to come.

As stuff comes, I will update this list of what I got and from where, so you can pick and choose which ones are worth the effort. On a side note, I found out something pretty awesome and funny all at once. If you are having a big party, reunion, or any other event, contact Moon Pie. They will donate a boatload of Moon Pies for your event. You either have to pick them up in Chattanooga, or set up a UPS account to cover delivery charges. Not a huge deal, but Moon Pies are awesome :laugh: If you grew up poor or in the south, you'll surely agree. So here is the list so far, updated as items arrive.

Entenmann's: 2 coupons for $1 off any product
Bush's: 2 coupons for $0.55 off any baked beans
Reynolds Wrap: 1 free 30 sq. ft. roll of aluminum foil
Glory Foods: 1 coupon for $0.75 off any canned Glory product & 1 coupon for $0.55 off any Glory Foods fresh cut frozen produce
Clorox: 1 coupon for $1.00 off any Clorox family product, including Clorox, 409, Green Works, Tilex, Liquid Plumr, SOS, Pine-Sol and Lestoil
Glad: 1 coupon for $1 off any Glad product
Lysol: 1 coupon for $3 off any Lysol, Finish, Resolve or Air Wick product & 1 coupon for $1.50 off any of the products
Deer Park: 1 coupon for a free multipack of Deer Park bottled water, up to $6.10 in value
Johnsonville: 2 coupons for $1.00 off any Johnsonville sausage product
Domino Sugar: 1 coupon for $2 off any Domino Sugar product, 2 coupons for $0.50 off any Domino Sugar product, and a dessert cookbook
Gold Bond: 2 coupons for $1.00 off any Gold Bond product
Soft Scrub: 1 coupon for $0.55 off Soft Scrub
Purex: 1 coupon for $0.50 off any Purex detergent
Soft & Dri: $0.35 off any Soft Dri product
Dial: $0.35 off any Dial soap product
Right Guard: $0.35 off any Right Guard product
Renuzit: $0.35 off any Renuzit product
SC Johnson: $1.00 off Scrubbing Bubbles, $3.00 off Scrubbing Bubbles automatic shower cleaner kit, $3.00 off any Scrubbing Bubbles one step toilet cleaner, $1.00 off any Pledge product, $0.55 off any Windex product, $1.00 off any Ziploc product, $0.55 off any Shout laundry product, $1.00 off Glade press & spray starter kit, $1.00 off any Glade decor scents holder, $1.00 off any Glade candle, $1.00 off on Off! clip on mosquito repellent, $1.00 of Drano, $1.00 of any Raid product and $3.00 off Raid bug barrier starter kit
Red Robin: 1 $50 gift certificate
Red Lobster: 2 $25 gift certificates
Hardee's: 1 coupon for free meal for 2
Finish/Electrasol: 1 coupon for free 30 pack of gelpac dishwasher detergent
Mario: 2 coupons for $0.30 off any Mario olives
Bounce: $1.00 of any Bounce fabric softener product
Krispy Kreme: Free dozen glazed donuts (yes FS, this is junk food that I love :))

This is what I've gotten so far. Obviously, some are way better than others, but most of these you can't get without contacting them. There are plenty more on the way, I will update as I get them. Most companies seem to send stuff within a few days of contacting them.

I also have Harris Teeter grocery stores all around me, and they double all coupons up to $0.99 face value, so most of these coupons are more valuable than they appear.

If anyone has any knowledge of other awesomeness, please post here.

Last edited:
What do you mean you're 'emailing them'? Emailing them to what end?

The problem with all these coupon strategies including this one, is most of the benefits are for junk food. Do you really want a year's supply of cases of Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Donuts, Burgers, Fries, Ramen Noodles, Soda, etc ? Is it worth sacrificing your health, to save a few bucks ? You may very well end up spending more money in the future than you saved, by spending it on health conditions and possible diseases.

What do you mean you're 'emailing them'? Emailing them to what end?
You go on their website and click the link that says contact us. It will pull up a form that you fill out, and you can either leave a compliment or a complaint.

The problem with all these coupon strategies including this one, is most of the benefits are for junk food. Do you really want a year's supply of cases of Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Donuts, Burgers, Fries, Ramen Noodles, Soda, etc ? Is it worth sacrificing your health, to save a few bucks ? You may very well end up spending more money in the future than you saved, by spending it on health conditions and possible diseases.
Did you even read the list? Literally only one of these thing - Entenmann's, is junk food.

Yes, I read it all. I guess I'm on a much stricter diet, because I also included as junk food from your list - Hardee's, Red Robin, Sugar, and arguably could make a case for sausage. At least in my opinion.
Hardee's and Red Robin don't just sell french fries and greasy burgers, so they aren't junk food. In fact, when I do go out to places like that, I don't eat that crap, because I hate fried and greasy foods. Sugar is also not junk food, I have never heard anyone make that stretch. It's not great for you obviously, but it is an additive not a food. You don't sit there and eat sugar. Besides, you said most of the list was junk food, which it's clearly not. Not that it matters, just wanted to be clear. I'm not a fan of junk food, as evidenced by the lack of it in my list.

As for sausage, I'm a southern boy, it's a necessity :laugh:

So what you're doing is filing false complaints online - and collecting when they provide service recovery?

Have I got that right?

So what you're doing is filing false complaints online - and collecting when they provide service recovery?

Have I got that right?
Absolutely not, the exact opposite actually. I am filing legitimate praises for companies I legitimately like.

Cool...sorry I misread that. When I was in the Gulf War, a friend of mine wrote a long letter to a company that sold smoked oysters. After Desert Storm, when we were waiting for a flight home - we got an entire case of them. That may have been the best eating of my life :)

That's awesome. When we were up in Massachusetts last year, we ate the best (and cheapest) lobster we had ever eaten. We complimented the owner and the chef, and they gave us a $50 gift card. So the next day guess where we ate lunch? :laugh:

I had a LOL moment at this:

My wife tried the extreme couponing thing. It works, but it takes way to much time and effort for my liking, so I took a different approach.

Then you wrote this:

In the end I found out two things. First, my wife thought she got the last laugh, because this took up way more time than her extreme couponing.

So, you thought your wife's way of 'couponing' was taking too much time, so you did something that took longer? That's something my missus is very proficient at. If there is a way of doing something, she will ALWAYS find a way to do that task the longest way possible.

well, if you are happy doing this i am happy for you. i know it saves money but i am a lazy mofo sometimes.
:laugh: Don't feel bad, I'm the same way. Honestly, I was just bored as anything and had time to kill. I still have over 100 companies I haven't contacted yet. I mean, it's worth the effort, I just don't really feel like doing it lol.

This seems like a good idea. I have another one for everyone. I use Shortcuts.com and go to Kroger's website to get electronic coupons. I prefer these because they are attached to my Kroger card. There are other stores besides Kroger on that site, but I am not familiar with them.

This seems like a good idea. I have another one for everyone. I use Shortcuts.com and go to Kroger's website to get electronic coupons. I prefer these because they are attached to my Kroger card. There are other stores besides Kroger on that site, but I am not familiar with them.
Harris Teeter does the same think, but they don't have them everywhere. They have the best everyday sales too. They constantly have buy 2 get 3 free and triple coupons and stuff.

Kohl's. You get good prices on many items. You can combine coupons and get quality merchandise for pennies on the dollar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.