• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

4 In A Woe, Part 1

BigRedskinDaddy

The Rookie
Reaction score
Well, the verdict is nearly in. It's far from official, and even less of a surprise to anyone who has even casually followed the Redskins this season:

We're not a good football team.

In fact, we're pretty bad.

And we're getting worse.

This pessimistic outlook goes completely against my grain, but the facts are nearly indisputable. After a 3-1 first quarter that gave rise to all kinds of now-absurd speculation, the B&G have, in order, lost to

1) A reeling Eagles squad at home 20-13. The 1-4 "Dream Team" outgained us by nearly 140 yards and held the ball almost twice as long as they righted the ship on their way out of the NFCE cellar.
2) The toddling Panthers (!?!) 33-20. Though we were only outgained by 50 yards this time, and held the ball only 11 minutes less, once again a team with only one win, led by a true rookie QB, beat us.
3) A solid but unspectacular Bills team 23-0. Yup. Blanked. Shut-out. Goose-egged. For the first time ever in Mike Shanahan's long and storied career.
4) A rising, overachieving 49'ers unit led by their highly caffeinated, super-testosterone-charged head coach, 19-11. Again at home. And it wasn't even as close as the final score indicated.

This 4 game tailspin should and probably will end soon; two of our next three games are eminently winnable, whether we do so or not. Starting in Week 13 though, we face an extremely tough 3 game stretch against, in order, the Jets, the Patriots and the Giants. In the last half of the season we play only 4 games in which we should be favored and should win if we play the way we have been. Of those four we figure to lose at least one - that's just how it is in today's ultra-parity NFL. Discounting any big upsets in the other matchups, that means we may very well finish these last 8 games with a 3-5 record. Again. Meaning another 6-10 season. Again.

Yay.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we were re-building here? Onward and upward, that whole bit. I might not know the definition of progress word for word, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't include back to back 6-10 seasons. I know it hasn't happened yet, but it is highly probable that it will. It might even be 5-11 or worse, who knows? In fairness I realize it could also be much better than I anticipate, but I'd lay odds it won't. When the dust settles I see us exactly where we were one year ago. And that, as I said earlier, is not progress. It's being stuck in the same old same old.

So who's to blame for all this? If we're not really building or re-building anything, where does the buck stop? With such a wide range of dysfunction and disarray, it's not an easy task assigning blame in this situation. After all, there are so many targets to choose from; where does one begin? Let's start here...

Click here for rest of story
http://yourdaddysredskins.blogspot.com

6-10 is extremely optimistic.

Rebuilding is painful - see the Lions, Detroit. 0-16. Now THAT is pain.

Well, that's kind of my point, or question brother. Are we rebuilding? Or just treading water one more time?

I want to believe it's the former. I really do. Just starting to doubt I'm actually seeing any change -

I believe we are rebuilding, and that its not going to be pretty for the rest of the year. Next year we *should* begin to see signs of life, however I wouldn't expect them to compete for the division quite yet. Maybe on the outside looking in at a Wild Card next year? I think a lot of it hinges on Jenkins' recovery, and how he bounces back. The defense is coming along nicely (my opinion, not shared by others), and is only a few pieces away from being a complete unit. The offense....needs some work. But a good QB would take this team a long way, IMO.

I too expect to see "signs of life" next year but frankly not till the second half of the season and maybe not until the last third or so and even then only if put an emphasis on offense in this next draft like we did defense in the last one.

I too expect to see "signs of life" next year but frankly not till the second half of the season and maybe not until the last third or so and even then only if put an emphasis on offense in this next draft like we did defense in the last one.

I wouldn't mind that - the Lions won their last 4 games in 2010 to finish 6-10, and here they sit at 6-2 this season.

Yeah, the current Lions and Gibbs first two years here in the 80s were what I was thinking of when I wrote that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.