• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Grade the Kids

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Depressing game overall, so let's talk about how the kiddos did. What are your thoughts on Helu, Hank, Hurt, Gano, etc?

I give Helu a B+, were it not for the fumble, he would have a very solid A. Considering SF's D was ranked in the top ten, he looked pretty good, and versatile, able to catch passes and run the ball.

Hank gets a B from me. Looked good on the 2 pt conversion, and had a couple of other catches, would like to have seen Beck give him more of a chance for some YAC, not really his fault I guess.

Thoughts?

I agree. Helu is developing into a threat in the open field and showed that he can carry the ball when asked to do so as the feature back (albeit in my mind for spurts of time - not 16 games).

Hankerson is going to be a good player. I really think if the Redskins had a quarterback who could nail the intermediate and down the field throws, Hankerson and the other receivers would look better in terms of stats and plays made.

Right now, you have guys open. Sonny Jurgensen last week said Armstrong was open the whole game and just failed to get the ball in position to make something happen.

Kerrigan I think is on his way to being a star on defense. 1 sack, 2 quarterback pressures, 2 drops for a loss behind the line of scrimmage.

That's a pretty good stat line for Kerrigan against a SF line that has run blocked extremely well this season and has prevented penetration in the backfield.

Guys I have issues with that are still young:

Trent Williams. Williams made bone-headed plays on consecutive series that cost the Redskins first downs and a chance to continue drives in the first half. The hit after the whistle play was so bush league, you have to be as green as grass or just not thinking to allow the opposition to jaw at you and get you to do something that stupid. The next series his penalty was again key. His overall play on the line is again inconsistent at best. He gave up on one Helu play to the outside when the 49ers got penetration, but Helu got away and if Trent had kept in the play might have been able to help him get additional yardage.

Fred Davis continues to be a big talent but he continues to drop the ball in critical situations. Today he dropped one first down ball that was one of Beck's better throws in the game.

Brandon Banks doesn't belong on an NFL roster. He is too small to be a 16 game performer in a meaningful role. His seeming inability to learn when and where to field the ball over 1.5 seasons leads me to believe he might not be smart enough to be here either.

Moving Montgomery back to center and starting Hurt instead of using Cook at center was the correct move.

You can survive with ONE rookie or younger guy on the OL when others are playing their regular spots. But when the Redskins moved 2-3 guys last week there was no continuity.

It's hard to tell how Hurt did overall for a #7 round pick. But the line did seem better able to move the defense off the ball then they did last week.

Hurt's size at 320-325 helps. Montgomery at 300 at guard is not a good fit against the NTs and DTs the Redskins face.

Helu was ok. He was asked to do too much and he's not a workhorse. He looked a little raw. The fumble was bad and he dropped an easy one. I give him a B-. I'm glad he got so much work though.

It was nice to see Hankerson get on the field and make some plays. If we ever get a real QB I suspect he'll do just fine for us. Another B.

Kerrigan is non-stop. I love that guy. What a great pick for us. A.

Williams ... oy. That kid has got to focus. He makes boneheaded plays far too often. We need to stop hearing his name so much. He's not a rookie so I'll refrain from giving him a grade, which is probably for the best.

I didn't hear Hurt's name much, which means he did ok. The line play was much better this week, especially considering we were playing a team with a good defense. I don't feel qualified to grade interior linemen :) but I think he must have done well yesterday.

Eh, I give Williams a pass. He was defending a teammate, and Smith dove for the flag. That's a penalty in hockey & soccer for a reason - because its cowardly and disgusting.

Eh, I give Williams a pass. He was defending a teammate, and Smith dove for the flag. That's a penalty in hockey & soccer for a reason - because its cowardly and disgusting.
Well, if one of Shortbus's "Rain Man Moments" ever single-handedly kills a potential scoring drive during a future Playoff/Championship/Super Bowl game, I'm sure the old defending a teammate excuse will be accepted then too.

He lacks discipline. He's done this before. Shanny was right to bench his ass too. Hopefully, Shortbus learns from it.

I thought Hankerson did pretty darn well for not only his first start, but his first extended play. Definitely flashed the ability to get open and managed to catch everything thrown his way.

Ax said:
Well, if one of Shortbus's "Rain Man Moments" ever single-handedly kills a potential scoring drive during a future Playoff/Championship/Super Bowl game, I'm sure the old defending a teammate excuse will be accepted then too.

He lacks discipline. He's done this before. Shanny was right to bench his ass too. Hopefully, Shortbus learns from it.

Sellers has done this before, but generally gets a pass for it. D. Hall is regularly in the middle of arguments, but is still the starting CB. Why should Williams be punished?

Williams is a 23 year old kid that hasn't proven anything yet in the NFL. He has been injured both last year and this year and it was obvious he came to camp out of shape last year after making the rounds on the rubber chicken circuit after being a top draft pick in April.

So, in his first game back from an injury he commits a post-whistle foul in front of the ref and then commits another penalty on the next drive, both of which caused drives to stall?

Right now this team needs all the help it can get on offense.

And the players on the field not making senseless, boneheaded plays is a must.

Williams is still an immature kid. That was obvious when he was pulled out of the game and stood behind Shanahan trying to argue with the move that was made.

He should have just gone to the bench and shut his mouth.

Again, I have had issues with Mike Sellers before when he has taken stupid penalties and was one of the posters here that thought he should not have made the final roster.

Williams, though, needs to realize he is not Chris Samuels on the field yet. There are AVERAGE NFL tackles out there that are playing as well or better than he is.

I wonder if he even realizes that?

I hope this guy is not another Michael Westbrook who considered himself a pro bowl player when catching 35-40 balls a season.

I'm willing to cut Helu some slack on the fumble, he was likely due. I can't find it right now but I have seen it reported that he didn't put the ball on the ground once at Nebraska. If true, that means his fumble yesterday was his first since high school.

Helu has to learn there is a Patrick Willis type talent on the field every week in the NFL that is looking for the strip on the tackle.

But I still think he has good promise. He has speed to the outside and has good hands as a receiver.

I don't think he will ever be a 25 carry back but with a combo of skills he will really be able to help the offense when we find someone to press the trigger.

Painful as it may be, let's do this for the Fins game.

Hank gets a B+ from me, I hope his injury isn't serious. If he doesn't slip and cause the INT, he gets an A.

Helu gets a B, looked good, not sure why Shanahan started off with Torain at all. Nice blitx pickup late, good runs.

Riley gets a B, after a shaky start, things got better for him in a hurry. Seemed to be around the ball all day, nice run support.

Who else?

Hankserson and Kerrigan really shined again. Helu was impressive in blitz pick up and did okay as a receiver/running back. Hurt was not impressive today. Got beat badly a couple of times.

Would that make him the oldest NFL player EVER?

He had 2 sacks AND 2 forced fumbles, in addition to being all over the place. A+ performance all the way.

He did have one missed assignment. He did not seal the edge on the 2nd Reggie Bush TD run allowing Bush to get out in the open. Other than that, Kid is something special! Great game yesterday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.