• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Matt Terl's Redskins Blog: The Redskins Cuts, And Mason Nation Can Rejoice

BGO

3.jpg
In addition to moving Colt Brennan to injured reserve, here are the other 21 players the Redskins have released to get the roster down to the league-mandated 53.

• TE Robbie Agnone
  • RB Anthony Alridge
  • G/T Jeremy Bridges
  • T Scott Burley
  • DE Alex Buzbee
  • QB Chase Daniel
  • DT Antonio Dixon
  • RB Dominique Dorsey
  • CB Doug Dutch
  • WR Keith Eloi
  • LB Cody Glenn
  • WR D.J. Hackett
  • S Lendy Holmes
  • DE Rob Jackson
  • K Dave Rayner
  • G Rueben Riley
  • WR Trent Shelton
  • DL J.D. Skolnitsky
  • LB Robert Thomas
  • FB Eddie Williams
  • LB Darrel Young
Some of these players might be brought back to the practice squad tomorrow if they clear waivers; I'll update with that tomorrow, of course.

Of note:

This means that the third time was the charm for Marcus Mason, now the fourth running back on your Washington Redskins. Guess not playing in the Jaguars game was a good thing.

It's official: Marko Mitchell is your fifth wide receiver.

Shaun Suisham returns as kicker, meaning that you may not have seen the last of Shaun Suisham's Happy Ice Tub Funtime.

The most surprising name on the list to me is Jeremy Bridges, and the most surprising name implied by the list -- albeit exciting to me -- is C/G Edwin Williams making the roster. Local kid makes good.

The biggest casualty of the cuts is the Redskins Twitter presence -- @ChaseDaniel, @KEloi16, and @TrentShelton, gone in one swell foop. Daniel earlier said that he expects to be back on the practice squad, which would help improve things; it remains to be seen if either of the other two sticks around as well.The Redskins Cuts, And Mason Nation Can Rejoice originally appeared on Redskins Blog on Sat, 05 Sep 2009 17:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

More...

Agree that Bridges is the only mild surprise here. So it looks like we're truly going with 2 QBs, unless there's still one more cut out there should we see a solid #3 on the waiver wire?

Better hope Jason stays healthy through the first 8 games - I don't think Collins (at his age) is durable enough to go much more than 1/2 a season or so if called upon.

Two I find interesting are not on that list-"Big Mike" Williams, and Ladell Betts-there were questions about them making the 53-to me the fact that both are there is somewhat of a surprise, Williams is more of a surprise than Betts, actually.

No - I'm shocked Mason didn't make the team LAST year :) Guy can play IMHO. And apparently, the coaching staff's. I am surprised about Williams - guy showed me very little. They must believe once totally healthy, and with more time, he can contribute.

No one should be surprised Betts stuck - I mean, seriously - he's been as effective as Portis at times when called upon for more than the occasional play. He gets very little credit for being a more than solid backup.

I'm quite frankly shocked that we released Bridges, opting instead for BMW. I mean really, all he's shown that he can do is lose weight. A real feel good story to be sure, but he's nowhere near ready to play yet if called upon. Besides, if we'd released BMW, it's not like anyone else was going to snatch him up. Bridges however, I'm not so sure about. He's certainly a serviceable backup if nothing more.

With Heyer being somewhat injury prone, not to mention being Samuels' backup, it's very likely we'll have to play our backup RT at some point this year. I have to say this move worries me. A lot. :(
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Last edited:
Bridges > Williams, right now Williams reminds me of Jon Jansen and I don't mean that as a compliment.

As for the 2 QBs, right now I think the Skins are fine. Garcia just got cut from the Raiders and I figure if worst came to worse -sign him if one of our guys got hurt.

I really don't believe that teams will be desperate to take Chase Daniel off our practice squad like some believe.

Bridges is the big surprise on that list to me. I didn't expect Williams or Betts to get cut so that wasn't shocking but I figured Bridges was pretty much a lock as well.

The other thing I found a little surprising is that we cut Thomas and kept Henson. I can't say I remember Thomas standing out at all, but I'd have to figure we could have kept him based on experience if nothing more, and put Henson (who looked lost most of the time to me) on the PS. If we wanted to give a younger player a shot, I'd rather we kept Young instead, who seemed to have a real head for the game.

Last edited:
The other thing I found a little surprising is that we cut Thomas and kept Henson. I can't say I remember Thomas standing out at all, but I'd have to figure we could have kept him based on experience if nothing more, and put Henson (who looked lost most of the time to me) on the PS. If we wanted to give a younger player a shot, I'd rather we kept Young instead, who seemed to have a real head for the game.

I think Thomas may have made it over Westbrook if it weren't for Carlos' injury. I was pretty sure Henson or Glenn would make the team since they were draft picks. Then again, I thought Glenn was a horrible pick and thought we should have gone OL in that spot.

Then again, I thought Glenn was a horrible pick and thought we should have gone OL in that spot.

I agree. Glenn could have been drafted in the 7th round or probably a UDFA (He only played LB for 1 year in college!!!!:tantrum:). I don't get what the Skins do between the 1st round pick and the 6th or 7th round......does somebody take a nap or something?

No more LBs in the 5th round.
In 2007 we drafted Dallas Sartz- cut, beaten out by 6th rounder HB Blades- didn't even make the PS
2009, Cody Glenn- cut, beaten out by 6th rounder Robert Henson- rumor has it that he will be on the PS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.