• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Ruling Question...

LoyalSkinsFan

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Had this question pop into my mind while watching the game yesterday.....didn't think of it until just now.

When a field goal attempt is blocked, isn't the ball still a live ball at that point? I mean, it's not the same as an extra point, correct? In theory, it could be run run down by either team and either fallen on or advanced, right? For the defense, it could be run back the other way. For the offense, someone could run down and grab the ball, right? If it's past the first down marker, then yay!

Reason I ask in particular is that after our field goal attempt was blocked I remember seeing the ball bounding down near the Bill's 5-yard line while their players all ran off the field celebrating. Couldn't a Redskin have run down and grabbed the ball?

I'm flashing back to Mike Bass in 1973 here Sean Taylor's miracle against the Cowboys......somebody help me out.

Thanks, in advance.

I don't see why the rules would not allow the offense to advance it, if they allow the defense. The only possible explanations I can think of for yesterday's play, is either it bounced out of bounds, or the Skins simply were not playing heads-up ball on that play, just like they weren't playing heads-up for the rest of the game.

once it hits the ground its dead like a punt if the bills had had someone back there they could have advanced it if it was caught. i am not sure on an actuall block but i think as long as it doesnt cross the line of scrimmage either team can advance the ball

It was the lack of a ten second run off and freebie do-over that I didn't get. Still not sure that the refs made the right call there. Didn't matter in the least in how the game played out, but still. Seems kind of cheap to reward a team racing to get a play off to avoid running down the clock with an extra play when they couldn't get assembled. Heck, if that's the case all you need to do is get the qb and center. Snap, spike and take your five yard penalty.

Once the offense "kicks" the ball in any form, its just like a punt. Its conceding possession, just as if it was a punt. The only exception would be if one of the Bills defenders touched the ball past the line of scrimmage (just like a punt), then it is a live ball.

The only time a team can kick the ball and then recover it is on the kickoff.

The only exception would be if one of the Bills defenders touched the ball past the line of scrimmage (just like a punt), then it is a live ball.

I understand what you're saying....however, a block could be considered a "touch", yes? Also, what about when a team attempts a crazy long FG and the defense puts a returner back there? They can return the ball.....and if they muff that catch I would guess it'd be a live ball, right? What about if a kick is blocked but the ball never touches the ground before it's caught by the kicking team?

In Super Bowl VII Garo Yepremium's kick is blocked and the ball bounces on the ground. He picks it up, muffs a pass and Mike Bass picks it off. It's returned for a TD. Definitely not a dead ball.

Against the Cowboys, Sean Taylor picks up a blocked kick and runs it down into field goal range (with the help of a face mask penalty). Not a dead ball.

Now, both these examples are of defensive players running with a blocked kick.....but what if an offensive player picks it up? Is it really just dead? What if he falls on it past the 1st down marker? Still turning the ball over on downs, or is it now a 1st down? A penalty would get you the 1st if that were to happen....why not this?

I absolutely get what you're saying, but there just seems to be some holes here. Anybody have a link to the rulebook?

Oh, and if I never get a clear answer I won't lose any sleep over it. :) Just curious......

Okay!! Thanks to the infinite power of the internet, here is the answer!!

To sum up (if I'm interpreting this correctly), if we'd gotten the ball past the 1st down marker it would have been our ball once again. And yeah, we could have advanced it.

FIELD GOAL OVER AND BACK—UNTOUCHED BEYOND THE LINE
Fourth-and-10 on B25. A1’s field-goal attempt from the B32 is partially blocked, hits on the B22, and then bounces back to the B27, untouched by anyone beyond the line. A2 recovers the ball at the B27 and he a) is downed there; b) runs with the ball to the B17; c) runs with the ball to the B14; or d) throws a pass from the B27, which is complete to A3 at the B10.
Rulings: a) B’s ball, first-and-10 on B32; b) B’s ball, first-and-10 on B17; c) A’s ball, first-and-10 on B14;
d) A’s ball, fourth-and-15 on B30. Illegal pass, as the ball has been beyond the line.

A.R. 9.12 FIELD-GOAL ATTEMPT—TEAM B TOUCHES—TEAM A RECOVERS
Fourth-and-6 on B31. On a field-goal attempt, receiver B1 muffs the ball in flight in the end zone and the ball is recovered in the end zone by A7.
Ruling: Touchdown Team A. Kickoff A35.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.