• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

ESPN: Redskins Claim Tashard Choice Off Waivers

I'm not sure how you can say that Royster nearly beat out Torain in camp, considering Torain was injured for most of the preseason. What performance was there in preseason to judge Torain on, versus Royster.
And if we're going to give a young RB more playing time, clearly it should be Helu. Why should someone who couldn't even make the active roster, leap-frog ahead of another rookie who earned an active roster spot, yet still has not had much of a chance to shine in regular season either ?

Don't put words in my mouth... I never said to have Royster leap frog Helu, I said we should have activated Royster instead of picking up a back off the waiver wire. Helu is the future of this team IMO, and Royster has a shot of being part of that too. ACL is normally a solid two seasons to recover from, so Hightower getting his spot isn't a gimmie. Torain is injury prone, so I have little faith in him.

Saw an article within the last week that hit on this. Torain was judged on his performance last season because of the injury, and Shanny still almost gave the spot to Royster because of the promise he showed in the preseason. Either way, taking a cast off from another team is what I take issue with.

No one is saying Royster should get more playing time than Helu. But why are we chasing after Choice, who can't stay healthy and fumbles too much? Why not give Royster a chance?

Mistake prone, fumble prone, poor special teams play, and oft-injured.

Perfect.
No one is saying Royster should get more playing time than Helu. But why are we chasing after Choice, who can't stay healthy and fumbles too much? Why not give Royster a chance?
exactly, if choice was clearly better than royster id say great signing, but he is not because we dont KNOW what royster brings to the table. besides cowpies never seem to do well here, except for bowen lol

You guys want to talk fumbles ?

Choice has fumbled 3 times in 314 Attempts (rushing and receiving)
Royster already has a fumble in his first 28 Touches, based on his first preseason.

So, Choice statistically has fumbled the ball only .9% (that's 9 tenths of one percent), of the times he has carried the ball or received a pass.
While Royster has fumbled the ball 3.6% of the times he has touched it.

So Royster has fumbled the ball FOUR TIMES as often as Choice.

Clearly there's a bias here.
Probably a combination of homerism towards our own rookies, and a false belief that Cowboys always automatically make terrible signings, simply by virtue of their former team.
No science there at all.

Last edited:
no what it is , is that we KNOW what choice is we don't know what Royster could potentially be, why take a guy when you know his ceiling is to be the third running back? maybe royster might surprise.

Ryman, I'm shocked to hear this from you. We know exactly what Royster will be - a 2-4ypc guy who never breaks the big one. He is slow! Can't "coach up" speed.

Choice is damaged goods. He is injured and that's one reason the Cowboys waived him.

Ryman is right that Choice was overrated in Big D where the bevy of backs from 2008-2009 is down to an injured Felix Jones.

But Shanahan evidently feels he is better than what they have which is an indictment of Torain and Royster.

My hope was the team would search the other practice squads and find a younger player with better upside.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

ryanohalloran Ryan O'Halloran

Bowen on Choice: "A lot of guys in Dallas probably wouldn’t say it but we thought he was the best guy but never got a fair shot."

Ryman, I'm shocked to hear this from you. We know exactly what Royster will be - a 2-4ypc guy who never breaks the big one. He is slow! Can't "coach up" speed.

I tend to agree with this, although Royster did surprise me somewhat in pre. I still don't think he has the quicks to be anything other than a relief pitcher, so to speak, at this level.

I tend to agree with this, although Royster did surprise me somewhat in pre. I still don't think he has the quicks to be anything other than a relief pitcher, so to speak, at this level.

Sultan McCullough, Marcus Mason, Evan Royster...the list of RBs who impressed in preseason and went on to never do a damn thing is pretty long. :)

The sobering fact is the Dallas coaches believed that even with Felix Jones injured the team could jettison Choice and be no worse for it.

The fact Shanahan then said Choice was the one player he saw out there that could help in the backfield only a day or two later, brings a reality check to the talent level on this club.

At the skill positions the Redskins right now probably have the most limited talent in the NFC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.