• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins OL A Capital Shame

Bulldog

The Legend
Reaction score
I know the offseason in free agency and the draft was principally about improving the 31st rated defense.

Quarterback and franchise WR were going to have to wait another year.

But the OL?

With one of the least talented and experienced lines in the NFC you only make one move, to bring in Chris Chester, a guard the Ravens decided not to resign because he was only average in power at the point of attack?

This team has a lot of problems, some of which are borne of now depending upon rookie wideouts and backs and depth players who are still very raw.

But up front it seems as if it has been largely a case of personnel mistakes.

Trent Williams is off to a very slow start in the NFL. As the #4 overall pick more is expected. Inconsistency at times, yes but Williams has continued to be taken to the toolshed by good rushers (see opener) without any compensating dominant performances or flashes.

At the other tackle spot Brown continues to be borderline. He will never be what he was in New Orleans or what the Redskins paid for in a new multi-year deal.

Inside, Montgomery is a center. He's not a left guard. At center he is serviceable, at guard he is an adventure.

Erick Cook is not an NFL caliber lineman, at least not yet. He made Marcel Dareus look like Reggie White yesterday.

What are the solutions? Draft more offensive linemen, preferably before the sixth or seventh round.

Did we need to take WR and RB with ALL those mid round picks?

We couldn't have used any of the more experienced guards available when free agency started?

What to do now?

I am not Joe Bugel or Alex Gibbs.

But to me you have an entire line playing out of position.

Locklear is a RT by experience. Brown is a left tackle by experience and by his own admission that positions allows him to plant on his healthy hip when setting up in pass pro.

Montgomery should be moved back to center and Cook should be back on the bench.

What about LG? Well, the team can either start a younger player on the roster such as Hurt or Smith here or we can sign a veteran for the balance of the season and accept that it will take some time for this spot to settle down.

But it seems smarter to me to return 3 players to spots where they are the most effective and worry about LG in isolation, rather than trying to cover that position and the injury to Williams by moving everyone else around.

What I don't get is that one could see at the end of last year the line was small and undertalented and yet Shanahan believed bringing them back and maintaining coninuity would make them much more effective.

Why?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I would be a lot less worried if we were seeing Trent Williams adapt like Joe Thomas to the NFL at LT.

At least that would validate the pick and give us an anchor to move forward with.

At the time of the draft there were those folks that noted Williams had started at RT in college until his senior season and that a team taking him in the draft might end up overpaying for an NFL right tackle.

I trusted Shanahan to be sure of the pick.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.