• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Wine Recommendation Thread

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
So my wife and I enjoy a bottle of wine from time to time (OK, multiple times a week. Whatever), and are looking for recommendations. We don't have enough money to spend more than $15-20 for a bottle, special ocassions excepting.

Just had a bottle of Chateau St. Jean Merlot out of Napa last night that was quite good. We also enjoy the local vineyards, as there are several in Nelson County that produce very good wines. So, anyone got anything you can recommend we try?

Also feel free to discuss cheese as well. Wine without cheese seems like a sin. Or as my wife's favorite shirt says, "Have you accepted cheeses into your life?" :)

My regular house wine is DaVenci Chianti. Under 20$ a bottle. The Turning leaf line of wines are also good for little money.

Cheap wines are my favorite! Give Cupcake wineries a try - they are all around $9.99 a bottle, and very good. Its a new winery we tried at the Bayou City Art Fair last year, and love! I really like their Pinot Noir, and they have a blend called Red Velvet that's good also. For $10, you can't really lose though!

Everyone's palet is a little different. Some prefer dry wines, or full bodied, red, and others white. Recently I bought a $5 bottle of Redwood Malbec to take to a party. Turned out I thought it tasted pretty good, so buy this on regular basis.

I would recommend going to some wine tastings. Total Wine, specialty stores, grocery stores, or festivals will have them. Go and try different ones to see what you like.

I would recommend going to some wine tastings. Total Wine, specialty stores, grocery stores, or festivals will have them. Go and try different ones to see what you like.

This is great advice. A wine journal is a good idea also - so many good wines I've tasted, but lost the sheets I wrote them down on forever.

$15-$20 eh? well.....if you like Red Zinfandel....I recommend TAIT BALLBUSTER. no kidding that's the name. but for that price range it's great. I happen to have a thing for Zins and Shiraz's...if you're ever up in DC...there's a retailer called Schneider's of Capitol Hill a couple blocks from Union Station. I go there to buy my wines - the assistants have never steered me wrong. Just tell em what you like and price range.

Last edited by a moderator:
camembert my man!!!

but cheese aint the hard part...it's finding good French bread! in a pinch...believe it or not...Panera baguettes will do.

Check out Phantom by Bogle, if you can find it. It's a blend, usually runs in the $17 to $19 range and new vintage is released right about this time of year. Me and two other friends split a case three ways every year.

FS - check out Gnarly Head's Zin. Pretty tasty!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.