• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

CRAZY night in sports!

Lanky Livingston

Case Keenum broke an FBS record while throwing 9 TD passes!

The Flyers lost to the Jets in a game that saw 17 combined goals! (Flyers were down 5-1 and 6-2 in points of this game, and game back to take a 7-6 lead before going down 9-8 with one minute left in regulation.

And of course, in St. Louis there was a little something in game 6 of the World Series that hasn't been done since 1993 to finish off one of the crazier World Series games of all time.

What a night! The math nerd in me wants to know what the probability of all three events happening on the same night (paging serv) - I'm guessing its gotta be around 10^-9 at the highest. Sadly, I didn't watch any of these games - I was watching last Sunday's The Walking Dead on my DVR. Sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's some crazy **** right there. As far as the world series goes, I hope the Rangers win, simply for the sake of Nolan Ryan. I have always been a huge fan of his, and he deserves it for getting screwed all them years as a player.

On the other hand, I am a Pujols fan too, so I wouldn't be heartbroken if they won either.

My Virginia Cavs won last night on the road. That's all I care about from Thursday night. :drummer: :)

Don't care about the other stuff. Not gonna cheer for a Texas team or the other one. Ditto for those hockey teams. But yeah, some of that stuff is impressive.

Case Keenum broke an FBS record while throwing 9 TD passes!

The Flyers lost to the Jets in a game that saw 17 combined goals! (Flyers were down 5-1 and 6-2 in points of this game, and game back to take a 7-6 lead before going down 9-8 with one minute left in regulation.

And of course, in St. Louis there was a little something that hasn't been done since 1993 in game 6 of the World Series to finish off one of the crazier World Series games of all time.

What a night! The math nerd in me wants to know what the probability of all three events happening on the same night (paging serv) - I'm guessing its gotta be around 10^-9 at the largest. Sadly, I didn't watch any of these games - I was watching last Sunday's The Walking Dead on my DVR. Sigh.

Lanky, it wouldn't surprise me if someone did do some digging through baseball, college football, and hockey archives in an effort to calculate such odds based on the frequency of occurrence of similar events in those sports and then add the likelihood of something like that all occurring on the same day. My hat's off to whoever has the time and energy for that!

Just coming off the top of my head, however, I think 10^-9 may be underestimating it by a couple of orders of magnitude-something on the order of 10^-15 might well be the odds in this case. Of course-something people don't realize at times-any assignable probability means that the event can occur and that there's nothing abnormal about it-no "Laws of the Universe" are violated or anything just an extremely unlikely event has taken place.

Win probability chart from FanGraphs, showing the fluctuations in last night's game:

screen_shot_2011-10-28_at_1.09.52_am.jpg

http://www.fangraphs.com/wins.aspx?date=2011-10-27&team=Cardinals&dh=0&season=2011

It seems that cities win championships in bunches. The Mavs have already won in the NBA. If the Rangers win...uh oh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.