Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Default CRAZY night in sports!

Case Keenum broke an FBS record while throwing 9 TD passes!

The Flyers lost to the Jets in a game that saw 17 combined goals! (Flyers were down 5-1 and 6-2 in points of this game, and game back to take a 7-6 lead before going down 9-8 with one minute left in regulation.

And of course, in St. Louis there was a little something in game 6 of the World Series that hasn't been done since 1993 to finish off one of the crazier World Series games of all time.

What a night! The math nerd in me wants to know what the probability of all three events happening on the same night (paging serv) - I'm guessing its gotta be around 10^-9 at the highest. Sadly, I didn't watch any of these games - I was watching last Sunday's The Walking Dead on my DVR. Sigh.
    Last edited by Lanky Livingston; 10-28-11 at 09:45 AM.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

That's some crazy **** right there. As far as the world series goes, I hope the Rangers win, simply for the sake of Nolan Ryan. I have always been a huge fan of his, and he deserves it for getting screwed all them years as a player.

On the other hand, I am a Pujols fan too, so I wouldn't be heartbroken if they won either.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Virginia

My Virginia Cavs won last night on the road. That's all I care about from Thursday night.

Don't care about the other stuff. Not gonna cheer for a Texas team or the other one. Ditto for those hockey teams. But yeah, some of that stuff is impressive.
    0 0 0 0

The simplicity in me is complicated.
    I live in my own little world, but that's ok. They know me here.
    Redskins Fan - Emeritus

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    Case Keenum broke an FBS record while throwing 9 TD passes!

The Flyers lost to the Jets in a game that saw 17 combined goals! (Flyers were down 5-1 and 6-2 in points of this game, and game back to take a 7-6 lead before going down 9-8 with one minute left in regulation.

And of course, in St. Louis there was a little something that hasn't been done since 1993 in game 6 of the World Series to finish off one of the crazier World Series games of all time.

What a night! The math nerd in me wants to know what the probability of all three events happening on the same night (paging serv) - I'm guessing its gotta be around 10^-9 at the largest. Sadly, I didn't watch any of these games - I was watching last Sunday's The Walking Dead on my DVR. Sigh.
    Lanky, it wouldn't surprise me if someone did do some digging through baseball, college football, and hockey archives in an effort to calculate such odds based on the frequency of occurrence of similar events in those sports and then add the likelihood of something like that all occurring on the same day. My hat's off to whoever has the time and energy for that!

Just coming off the top of my head, however, I think 10^-9 may be underestimating it by a couple of orders of magnitude-something on the order of 10^-15 might well be the odds in this case. Of course-something people don't realize at times-any assignable probability means that the event can occur and that there's nothing abnormal about it-no "Laws of the Universe" are violated or anything just an extremely unlikely event has taken place.
    0 0 0 0

I'm giving it a 2-4 year window. Looking for improvement in all areas. Redskins, you're on the clock.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Win probability chart from FanGraphs, showing the fluctuations in last night's game:

http://www.fangraphs.com/wins.aspx?d...=0&season=2011
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

It seems that cities win championships in bunches. The Mavs have already won in the NBA. If the Rangers win...uh oh.
    0 0 0 0

It is awesome to be ME.
    Proud BGO Premium Member since Day 1.
    (a/k/a Monte51Coleman)