• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Yahoo: Shanahan Stumbling After Wrong Decisions At QB

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Mike Shanahan is 9-13 in two seasons with the Redskins.

Mike Shanahan was never going to have much time to make the Washington Redskins great again. He took the job as the team’s head coach telling people he thought he had two seasons before owner Daniel Snyder would want to run his team again.

What he never seemed to grasp – or maybe didn’t care to see – was how deep the franchise’s decay had become, how much work it would take to rebuild a disaster in 24 months and how much he’d have to be right when picking his next quarterback.

click link for more.......

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ke_shanahan_redskins_qbs_donovan_mcnabb102511

Nice read, thanks for posting McD. Two thing stuck out:

Mike Shanahan was never going to have much time to make the Washington Redskins great again. He took the job as the team’s head coach telling people he thought he had two seasons before owner Daniel Snyder would want to run his team again.

That's some scary **** right there. If the coach thinks he has two seasons before Danny jumps in, ... yikes. Hopefully his assessment was flat out wrong. I think we can be much more competitive with one more really solid draft, but Danny needs to step back. The problem is, how do you look at the owner and say, "the mess the team was in when I got here is largely your fault"? I'm guessing Danny doesn't have many people in his life who can or will tell him that.

He could have muddled through the season with Grossman, who once took the Chicago Bears to the Super Bowl. The key was to not ask Grossman to win games but rather control them. But the Redskins started asking Grossman to do too much and he imploded, leaving Shanahan to go back to Beck, a player he once coveted years ago in Denver.

This stuck out because I think it lends some validity to what some here have said, that Grossman could have been a solid QB, but Kyle started asking him to do too much. Had we relied on the run a little more (I know, broken record), Rex might have cut down on a few of those mistakes.

I am hoping Kyle will see the light; the article asserts that the zone blocking scheme may be finally starting to take hold. If that's the key, Shanny Sr needs to sit down with Kyle and tell him he has to help Beck out as much as possible, by running the ball.

If the danny jump in again after this season, I'm done with this team

That's some scary **** right there. If the coach thinks he has two seasons before Danny jumps in, ... yikes.

Shanahan has contradicted this statement so many times. Saying that he demanded if he be taken on that he would only do so if the plan was to honor the full contract. Now, who knows what will happen, but I think Mike believed Snyder on that when he signed up. He has too much stature to be begging for a one year job that if things fall apart he'd be cast aside. Why would he take that on?

Why would he bring his son into that? A son who was well into building a very good name for himself in Seatle?

Doesn't jive.

This stuck out because I think it lends some validity to what some here have said, that Grossman could have been a solid QB, but Kyle started asking him to do too much. Had we relied on the run a little more (I know, broken record), Rex might have cut down on a few of those mistakes.

I thought it was Kyle Shanahan who wanted Beck, not Mike? I'm probably mis-remembering though.

This part stuck out to me:

Now, 22 games into his time as the ruler of the Redskins, he is left with the legacy of a failed McNabb experiment and two journeymen who can’t seem to hold onto the job no matter how many chances they get.

Let's give Beck a chance to screw up before we say he can't hold onto the job, shall we?

And, I have to say I find my desire to do anything to watch games this season has been wavering a bit. Years past its been "nothing will get between me and a television or FedEx Field to watch the Skins. This season, I don't really mind missing a game or two because of travel, where in year's past I would schedule my flights to ensure I saw them play. If Snyder cans Shanahan after this season, I think I'm with Sarge and becoming a full-time Caps fan. Ugh.

Shanahan has contradicted this statement so many times. Saying that he demanded if he be taken on that he would only do so if the plan was to honor the full contract. Now, who knows what will happen, but I think Mike believed Snyder on that when he signed up. He has too much stature to be begging for a one year job that if things fall apart he'd be cast aside. Why would he take that on?

Why would he bring his son into that? A son who was well into building a very good name for himself in Seatle?

Doesn't jive.

I hope you're right. The author of the piece is contending that what Shanahan said publically and what he said privately are two different things. I hate the fact that this guy doesn't reference his sources, which lends dis-creedence to what he says.

Having said that, we know Danny. Would anyone really be that shocked if this turned out to be true? Having said that, unless the team loses all remaining games, I think there might be a fan mutiny on his hands if he fired Shanny in the off season.

It might wind up to be true, but I'm quite certain that it was not the agreement or intention. Who knows how things work out, but I'm pretty certain Shanahan was very forthright about the process and what he needed in terms of time.

Now, whether all parties see it through???

I'd never call Gibbs a liar, but he didn't see his promise through either.

There were some extenuating circumstances there though...

Absolutely, and I don't blame him for making the decision for his family's sake, but there are reasons that the best plans of mice and men get changed.

Any source info for this statement, Yahoo? Or is it pure conjecture/hearsay. I haven't heard Shanahan say that. And I don't believe he would have taken the job if that was the case.

How could Shanahan of all people wind up in this mess? The Redskins are 3-3 and after a promising start are looking very much like a team on the decline.

I don't think there was anyone who he felt was actually better than Beck/Grossman available. Or he banked on getting Dalton much later than Dalton actually got picked.

What he never seemed to grasp – or maybe didn’t care to see – was how deep the franchise’s decay had become...

All he had to do was ask Joe Gibbs.

Then again, Gibbs would have probably just given him fluff, anyway, not wanting to say anything bad about anything or anyone.

Nick

This - "article" - is - full - of - lies.

I'm with Sarge. If it happens becuase of Dan Snyder, I am done with the Washington Redskins. I know my father would understand and certain he would feel the same way.

Yeah, I'd like some substantiation to the claim that Shanahan thought he only had two years here. Not that it's that outrageous a claim, just that I haven't heard that before.

Lord knows I was against the McNabb trade from Day One. If I find out Snyder's fingers were anywhere near that move, and it ultimately comes to define a failed Shanahan regime, I will have a real hard time actively rooting for the team after that.

"If you don't plan on me being here for five years to do this the right way, then you shouldn't hire Mike Shanahan."

Here is the link to the quote http://www.hogshaven.com/2011/8/14/2363026/mike-shanahan-sheds-light-on-his-interview-with-dan-snyder

This franchise was a freakin mess when Mike and Bruce took over and we all knew it. As long as Dan doesn't get impatient this building plan WILL work. If he does something foolish like bringing Vinny back and firing Shanahan after two seasons then I might be done here as well. Patience Dan.

We've tried the quick fix at QB with McNabb and now with Grossman/Beck (although Beck gets the rest of the season of course). What it should tell us is the quick fix rarely works. Draft a QB next year and the team will be fine. It's critical they they don't screw that decision up though.

I am weary of the media taking the easy route and going with the popular image of Dan Snyder. I'm not saying it hasn't been the correct image of him at times. I don't think there can be any doubt about that. However, the man did not become a billionaire without the ability to adapt and change with circumstances.

It makes no sense at this point for him to either fire Shanahan or take control of the team back while keeping Shanahan on as coach. It will only further screw with a reputation that just can't take much more. He will be left with a team that he can't anyone to coach, at least not anyone worth anything, if he chases Mike Shanahan out of town on the heels of Gibbs failed second tenure with the totally weird Zorn experiment sandwiched in between.

I think Shanahan gets the full of the run the contract to turn things around. Especially since, while the results on the scoreboard may not indicate it yet, the seeds for a turn around have been planted and the roots are taking hold. As any fan can plainly see.

Shanahan has made one mistake at quarterback and that was the trade for McNabb. I doubt he really sees Grossman and Beck as the starters here in 2012 or 2013.

But when you have both sides of the ball to reconstruct and spend your picks and free agent dollars on defense, that leaves you with an offseason to go in rebuilding the offense - and by definition 'getting by' with who you have......

It's ironic that some of you that complained so vigorously about Snyder's lack of patience in years past are already impatient with less than 2 years on the board for Shanahan.

It took Vermeil several years to turn the Rams into the team it became from 1999-2003. He was 5-11 the year before the Rams won the Super Bowl.

Ditto for Bellichick. The Patriots were 5-11 in 2000 before upsetting the Rams in 2001.

Shanahan has only made one major move for the offense and that was drafting Trent Williams. He's a work in progress.

But the balance of the offense is made up of veterans on short term deals and rookies who are still raw and learning the pro game.

My guess is Shanahan will draft a quarterback and go into free agency to find a playmaking wide receiver as well as one or two additional linemen.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Went through the same thing with the Caps. We had partial plans and wrote a letter to Ted after the loss to Tampa in the playoffs to jettison Jagr and start over.

These rebuilds take awhile, especially if you are doing it the right way.

Shanahan has made one mistake at quarterback and that was the trade for McNabb. I doubt he really sees Grossman and Beck as the starters here in 2012 or 2013.

But when you have both sides of the ball to reconstruct and spend your picks and free agent dollars on defense, that leaves you with an offseason to go in rebuilding the offense - and by definition 'getting by' with who you have......

It's ironic that some of you that complained so vigorously about Snyder's lack of patience in years past are already impatient with less than 2 years on the board for Shanahan.

It took Vermeil several years to turn the Rams into the team it became from 1999-2003. He was 5-11 the year before the Rams won the Super Bowl.

Ditto for Bellichick. The Patriots were 5-11 in 2000 before upsetting the Rams in 2001.

Shanahan has only made one major move for the offense and that was drafting Trent Williams. He's a work in progress.

But the balance of the offense is made up of veterans on short term deals and rookies who are still raw and learning the pro game.

My guess is Shanahan will draft a quarterback and go into free agency to find a playmaking wide receiver as well as one or two additional linemen.

The reason we needed a full rebuild on defence and had to use a pile of resources in that rebuild rather than fix the offence was whose fault again? yes the defence would have needed some tweaks and a couple players but not a full on rebuild just to be decent again.

Donovan Mcrapp was Shanny's fault he was given carte blanche to get whoever he wanted and could, and it was Shanny who refused to pull the trigger on that deal for a 1st and 3rd and a next years second to go with Mcnabb for Bradford.

The decision to go with a bunch of other teams old guys instead of going young in year one, was all Shanny, so no, he doesnt get a pass for year one.

* about the Bradford trade, its hearsay from a reliable source but I can't find the site now but I recall feeling hopeful because I dislike mcrapp and couldnt figure out why we or anyone would trade for him.

The reason we needed a full rebuild on defence and had to use a pile of resources in that rebuild rather than fix the offence was whose fault again? yes the defence would have needed some tweaks and a couple players but not a full on rebuild just to be decent again.

You keep banging this drum, Ryman and the rest of us keep telling you that it was all smoke and mirrors.

Haynesworth hasn't done anything for anyone at any position since he signed with Washington 2 and a half years go and he was the closest thing to a real DT we had on the team when Shanahan got here.

We had two RDE and no LDE, SAM or FS and our CBs were suspect at best (and still are, I think).

We ranked near the bottom of the league in Sacks and Takeaways and the defense never got off the field when this team really, really needed it to and I don't know any fans who felt comfortable with a lead in the 4th quarter.

Sorry man, but had to be rebuilt, regardless of whether Shanahan had stayed with the 4-3 or moved to the 3-4. Two DTs, a LDE, a SAM, a FS and perhaps CBs does not qualify as needing "some tweaks" in my book and that is without addressing any depth for the unit.

I'm frustrated and disappointed as much as most here. I'm excited about the direction the team is headed. I'm firmly entrenched in the camp that believes the game is won and lost in the trenches.
An elite qb is more often than not needed to win a Superbowl....no argument there. Although posessing an elite qb doesn't guarantee diiddly squat when it comes to winning Superbowls. Dan Fouts, Dan Marino,and Jim Kelly are the first examples that come to mind.
There are recent examples that can be mentioned as well. Mark Sanchez, Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Phillip Rivers, Mathew Stafford,Vince Young,Colt McCoy, Brady Quinn etc. Using the benefit of 20/20 hindsight which Qb would you have taken in the last few years? It's a much better option for the corporate aspect of the NFL to find a promote future stars (the easiest player to hit gold with is the QB imho) the Media is going to always pull for starpower.
After you've made your selection explain which picks would have been traded to get in position to make your choice? Certainly there are some ideal situations most could find using the benefit of hindsight but my guess is do those same scenarios include Orakpo and Kerrigan?
Overall I'm pleased with the direction the team is headed. I'm not predicting a Superbowl or anything similiar for the Skins this season. I do however predict unlike in years past we will still be in the playoff discussion on Thanksgiving.
The largest issue I've had with the Skins for a long time is the overall lack of motivation from the front office to produce a better quality Offensive Line. Absolutely enthusiasm must be tempered until we find the right qb to hang our hat on. Without a decent Oline and a top flight young qb we are the Rams. I feel this season Shanny found a decent combo with our front line alas with a significant lack of quality depth.
It was most unfortunate to lose our entire starting line up from the left side. So evaluating how good or bad Beck is as qb is a difficult task indeed. You could very easily expect him to be the next Stan Humphries. Rich Gannon or Brad Johnson... all qbs that left our franchise to lead thier teams to the Superbowl.
Seriously Did it bother anyone else that we couldn't find a decent qb and two of our cast offs were playing each other in the Superbowl? (Tampa vs Oakland)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.