• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Question for Comcast/Xfinity cable internet users

Go Deep

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
...Or just general cable internet users.

I broke down and finally upgraded my 3mb dsl service to a 12mb Comcast/cable service.

They came and hooked up my service yesterday and i tested the speed before the service tech left and i was getting 21 to 15mb dl during the mid-day(1:00). I was tickled to death and he told me around peak hrs it would be closer to 12mb, great.

Well, i decided to do a test around 5:00 pm and it was as low as 2 or 3mb dl, less than my current dsl with a direct connect and only 1 device hooked up.

I finally got a hold of customer support(which is damn near impossible) and she told me only 6 to 8mb was guranteed with my 12mb package.(that was never mentioned when i ordered this and not what the installation tech guy said) My plan was 12mb dl.(Powerboost to 15mb on big downloads.) Anyhow, they were able to send a signal to my modem and got it back to 8mb dl. About an hour later it was back down to 2 or 3mb dl.

Is these kind of drastic speed differences normal with cable internet, specifically Comcast/Xfinity with a direct connect? I hate to imagine what it's going to be like with a router hooked up.

My current dsl stays at 3mb dl at all times on the direct connect pc and between 1.5 and 3 mb dl on my pc connected wirelessly depending what i'm doing on the other pc. The wireless pc get's between 2.7 and 3.0mb if i'm not doing nothing on the other pc.

All i want to do is to be able to stream 2 movies/videos on 2 pc's at the same time if the situation presents itself. As of now, if i'm streaming a movie/video on one pc, it really slows down the other pc, especailly the wireless pc, and causes a bunch of buffering if you want to watch a video/movie. I thought this 12 mb plan would be more than enough for that and thought for $20 extra a month it would be worth it.

I got the 2nd tier package from Comcast/Xfinity. The intro package is 6mb dl and this is closer to the speed i'm getting on average. They're trying to sell me a higher tier(20mb to 25mb), which i think is bs and don't need.

I have a 30 day money back guarantee and will just keep my dsl if this is expected. We honestly don't do much other than surf and stream the occasional movie or download music and rarely does the dsl present a problem.

PS,

This morning it's back up to between 17mb and 13mb dl. My upload has been steady at 3mb, but that's not really a issue since we don't do any gaming or file sharing. I'm going to check it later today during peak hrs and see what happens. I'm not a newb and i know all the basic stuff about resetting the modem, settings etc..

I'm just shell shocked at these drastic changes in speed compared to my current dsl and was wondering if this is expected with cable internet? I also had all new wiring run since i haven't been on cable for so long, so that can't be an issue. Like i said, i speed tested it right after it was hooked up in front of the tech guy and it was 21 mb dl.

I honestly feel like they're doing something on their end with the speed to get more money.

Go Deep, I was on the mid tier plan with Comcast/Xfinity and tired of the slow down that occurred every single night between 8-11pm. I bought a new computer back in June and was afraid there was something wrong with it. I called Comcast and they assured me it was not their service.

Finally, when I discovered that I would not be tied into a 2 year contract with Verizon FIOS, I followed the advice of everyone who kept suggesting their services and had FIOS installed.

IT IS NIGHT AND DAY!!!

Comcast cannot compare to the service FIOS offers. I signed up for the Ultimate HD service and have 35/35mb speeds. I have had the service for almost a month now and have had no issues. I do a lot of image editing while surfing the net and can stream videos all at the same time with no difficulty.

On a side note: While installing the service and checking my internet speeds, the installer said, "Damn! That is the fastest computer I have ever seen!" I love my Mac Pro!

Thanks El. My problem is i don't have FIOS in my area. I'm in rural WV and i only have a DSL service of Max 3mb or Comcast/Xfinity. I'm going to wait till my router get's here tomorrow or Sat and get everything hooked up and monitor it for the next few weeks. I have my dsl paid up till then.

I'm getting freaking swings in my speed of 15 mbs? That's just crazy!

Yeah, the way the FIOS installer explained it to me was, "It's the difference between sharing the Beltway with everyone else or having the Beltway all to yourself."

Not sure how accurate that is, but it seems true so far.

Like I said, during the busy times of internet usage, Xfinity slowed to snails pace for me. I hope it gets better for you. I wonder if the upgrade to their top tier speeds would be the answer for you.

Well, i asked the service tech that. I asked what would the 20 to 25 mb plan bottom out at and she said i should at the very least get 70% to 80%. But... my 12 mb plan is getting anywhere from -80% to +50%.

The swings are so crazy, i don't see what would prevent the next higher up plan from doing that also.

I've got 30 days to change my service, upgrade or get my money back. So i might go ahead and ask for the Max hook-up and see what happens. But that's going to run about another $20 more. $40 more a month than i'm paying for my dsl. Money really isn't the problem, but we really don't do alot on the internet much besides surf and stream the occasional movies/youtube videos and download music.

I strated using this Zune service for movies and i really like it. The new movies come out sooner and cheaper than ordering from direct TV, plus i can download and keep them and watch a bunch of other stuff.

I can do that fine right now with my dsl, but it basically cripples the other computer and makes it useless.

Check that.. my current 12 mb is getting -80% to + 50%.

This reminds me of the issues I had with a regional service while living in rural Tallahassee. Eventually they had to come out and replace junction box and the cable from the pole to my house because it was so weathered. I wonder if it may be a infrastructure problem. It doesn't sound like it, but I hate seeing anyone go through what I have in the past. I know how frustrating it can be.

When i lived in Roanoke and had Cox life on the internet was good, but that was 10 years ago and i was gaming and doing a bunch of stuff. I really don't do that much anymore.

As a matter of fact, before xbox live came out they used Roanoke and Cox cable as testing for what the BEST speeds you get on xbox live. Cox was awesome back then.

Verizon FiOS here. For TV too. And landline telephone. I live in a rural area and the speeds are out of this world. Tons of HD channels. All of that costs LESS than what I had with Comcast (high speed internet and basic cable package).

I have the comcast / Xfinity package, but we have our cable TV, phone, and internet as a package. Highest level they offer. I never have any slow down problems.

I'm also paying out the ass.....

I have the comcast / Xfinity package, but we have our cable TV, phone, and internet as a package. Highest level they offer. I never have any slow down problems.

I'm also paying out the ass.....

Miles, do you know what your internet speed is supposed to be with your max package in your area? In my area it's 20 to 25 mb and if i get no slow down i might bite the bullet. I might go ahead and upgrade to that since i got almost 2 weeks left on my current dsl to decide. I have 25 days left for my money back gurantee with comcast.

El seems to be exactly right about 8:30 it's dropped all the way down to 2.5 and 3 mb. Did the same thing yesterday and i've had it only 2 days and that's with a direct connect and i don't even have my wireless pc hooked up yet.

That's ridiculous to advertise a 12mb plan that drops to only 25% of that during the peak hrs. I'm so pissed about that i hate to throw more money at them, but i have no other choice.:beadyeyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.