• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

26 Starting QBs since Joe Theismann in 1985

fuji869

The Rookie
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
With John Beck joining the Long List or Redskins Starting QB since Joe Theismann broke his leg on MNF in 1985 here are all the QBs that started after Joey T in the order of their first appearance:

1. Jay Schroeder
  2. Doug Williams
  3. Ed Rubbert * (aka Shane Falco)
  4. Mark Rypien
  5. Stan Humphries
  6. Jeff Rutledge
  7. Cary Conklin
  8. Rich Gannon
  9. John Friesz
  10. Heath Shuler
  11. Gus Frerotte
  12. Jeff Hostetler
  13. Trent Green
  14. Brad Johnson
  15. Jeff George
  16. Tony Banks
  17. Shane Matthews
  18. Danny Wuerffuel
  19. Patrick Ramsey
  20. Rob Johnson
  21. Tim Hasselbeck (aka Mr Elizabeth Hasselbeck)
  22. Mark Brunell
  23. Jason Campbell
  24. Todd Collins
  25. Donovan McNabb
  26. Rex Grossman
* Replacement Player

Notes
  • From 1961 - 1985 the Redskins only had 7 Different Starting QBs
  • Non strike seasons were the Redskins had had 3 different starting QBs: 1990 Mark Rypien (10) / Stan Humphries (5) / Jeff Rutledge (1), 1993 Mark Rypien (10) / Rich Gannon (4) / Cary Conklin (2), 1994 Heath Shuler (8) / John Friesz (4) / Gus Frerotte (4) & 2002 Shane Matthews (7) / Patrick Ramsey (5) / Danny Wuerffel (4)
  • QBs that started every game: 1986 Jay Schroeder, 1991 Mark Rypien, 1992 Mark Rypien, 1996 Gus Frerotte, 1999 Brad Johnson, 2008 Jason Campbell & 2009 Jason Campbell
  • Norv Turner had most Non Strike Starting QBs at 6: John Freisz, Heath Shuler, Gus Frerotte, Jeff Jeff Hostetler, Trent Green and Brad Johnson
  • Ed Rubbert started 3 Replacement Games during 1987 NFL Players Strike and was the inspiration for the movie “the Replacements”
  • Mark Rypien is the only QB to make playoff appearances in multiple seasons 1990, 1991 & 1992
  • Mark Rypien played the most seasons 1988 - 1993
  • Jeff Rutledge only started 1 game in 1990 “the Body Bag Game”
  • Jason Campbell started every game in the Jim Zorn Era from 2008 - 2009
  • Pro Bowers: Jay Schroeder 1996, Mark Rypien 1989 & 1991, Gus Frerotte 1996 & Brad Johnson 1999

Beck1--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Washington_Redskins_starting_quarterbacks

Last edited:
I think the Bears have gone through quite a few as well.

Nevertheless, that list is very depressing.

Very depressing and the root cause of the suckage of our beloved team.

Turnover, especially at the QB position, is a large problem. What makes it worse is that if they'd stuck with some of those QBs, they might have been better off (Gannon, Humphries and Johnson all appeared in Superbowls after leaving the Redskins); and in all, 9 of those QBs played in Superbowls, which means they weren't all without talent.

Many, though, are forgettable. Or at least I wish they were. Where's the brain bleach when you need it for guys like Shuler and Banks?

Didn't Brunell start playoff games in both 2005 and 2007?

As I indicated in another thread the Redskins have had top 10 selections in the following drafts since Johnson made the pro bowl in 1999 and the team didn't select a quarterback with ANY of them:

2000, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2011.

So unlike many teams the Redskins decided the draft was not the way to acquire a top passer.

In 2005 the Redskins did select Campbell in a trade for the #25 pick but selected Carlos Rogers at #9.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

There's actually a LOT of positions that the Skins don't seem to believe in drafting with a top pick, besides QB. And what a coincidence - they happen to be the positions we have hurt at the most - Receiver, O-line, D-line.
Trent Williams seems to be the only exception to that.

Yep, and I haven't been that impressed by Trent Williams' development at left tackle.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

There's actually a LOT of positions that the Skins don't seem to believe in drafting with a top pick, besides QB. And what a coincidence - they happen to be the positions we have hurt at the most - Receiver, O-line, D-line.
Trent Williams seems to be the only exception to that.

I would argue that...

Since 2000, the Skins have taken 2 QBs, 2 OTs, a WR and a DE in the draft. Now, I grant you, neither of the QBs or the WR were Top 10 picks but had either Ramsey or Campbell worked out, I doubt we are having this discussion today.

Todd Collins started in 2007. Remember Campbell got hurt on the Thrusday Night Game vs the Bears and Collins came in and won the last 4 and made the playoffs.

Mark Brunell was a Jet in 2007, I believe.

Mark Brunell was a Jet in 2007, I believe.

From what I've been able to find out-and remember-Brunell was still a Redskin in 2007 but had been "demoted" behind Campbell and Collins and signed with the Saints in 2008 as Brees backup before going to the Jets in 2010.

From what I've been able to find out-and remember-Brunell was still a Redskin in 2007 but had been "demoted" behind Campbell and Collins and signed with the Saints in 2008 as Brees backup before going to the Jets in 2010.

Ah, I stand corrected. I got the order reversed - of course he was with the Saints first b/c he's got a SB ring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.