• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO.C.D.: Carpe Dre-am

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Uttering the descriptor 'must win’ to describe an NFL game before the frost is even on the pumpkin just seems inherently wrong. Nevertheless,...

More...

In my "Burning Questions" for this week, I put it as a must win for both teams as well. I went as far as to say that it is the most important game of the season (thus far) for both teams.

Just hoping that the bye has allowed the Redskins to address a few weaknesses that have been on display the last three games. We agree that if the Eagles go to 1-5, their season is over.

Good write up.

Great minds :)

Yeah - I agree with most of your assessment...although I'd chalk the close games since the opener up not to a 'lack of killer instinct', but to the fact that we are only in year 1 of the rebuild and still need some help in some key places. IE...we ain't there yet. We get a stud OL, a #1 WR, and a young franchise QB and we're going places.

I also don't agree RG has been 'shaky'. He's been mostly solid to even impressive at times, but is prone to the head-scratching bad decision. He's helped the Redskins offense more than hurt it (contrary to many folks assessments) but to beat really good teams, he'll have to eliminate the mistakes. We're not good enough yet to make major mistakes and still consistently win.

It could be a "statement" game, but what I feel best about is that these young guys don't care about the past history, they know they have something special going on and are on the mission.

I don't know if it's that they don't care, or more that they just aren't 'vested' in it? Not that it matters which it is, but I think the beauty of a 50% + turnover in your roster is the shedding of major baggage.

There's no easier way to truly close one door and open another one than to tear down the whole damn house :)

Great minds :)

Yeah - I agree with most of your assessment...although I'd chalk the close games since the opener up not to a 'lack of killer instinct', but to the fact that we are only in year 1 of the rebuild and still need some help in some key places. IE...we ain't there yet. We get a stud OL, a #1 WR, and a young franchise QB and we're going places.

I also don't agree RG has been 'shaky'. He's been mostly solid to even impressive at times, but is prone to the head-scratching bad decision. He's helped the Redskins offense more than hurt it (contrary to many folks assessments) but to beat really good teams, he'll have to eliminate the mistakes. We're not good enough yet to make major mistakes and still consistently win.

To me, part of the rebuild is seeing things like a lack of killer instinct or some shaky performances. You are trying to look at it in a more positive manner and that is a good thing.

As for the young franchise QB, it is all but obvious that a trade up will need to happen in the draft. We could still get a stud RT and a solid G as well. The #1 WR would need to wait until 2013 draft though. But yes, things are going in the right direction.

For Sunday, I am cautiously optimistic. Locally, Birds fans have already tossed in the towel. I would love to see them proven in the affirmative. If that happens, I'll post some reactions from locals.

As for Sunday, my *optimism* isn't based on dismissing what Philly 'could do', but on what I think the Redskins 'will do'.

On the season, Grossman has looked 'shaky' in spots - any fool can see that (including this one :)). But his play has, overall, been a positive. That's all I'm saying.

It's probably all semantics - but I actually believe young teams have to learn to win. One man's 'learning to win' is another's 'lack of a killer instinct' I suppose.

And yeah, on our remaining team needs - I see us really peaking in 2014. And I can't wait to see it.

Boone, the one thing I am most afraid of with adopting your perspective is an overreaction if we were to lose. I have a perspective that's based on watching the Redskins change for the better and I am delighted with what I see so far. We have actually made more progress than I had expected at this point.

Maybe I am patient to a fault-I have been told this by many people throughout my life starting with my parents when I was a child-and maybe that's why I don't expect as much as quickly as many fans. I'd love to see us in the playoffs-even as a Wild Card-this season and frankly that would be way beyond what I thought was a realistic expectation-we've already exceeded that. But an 8-8 or 9-7 not-quite-in-the-playoffs season wouldn't be crushing, a mild "Well, gee woulda been nice but dammit next year we're there!" would be my reaction and so it is with the Iggles game. I agree we have a lot of factors in our favor-and, of course, some against-but I think the odds are in favor of a win and I would be tickled pink with that. I just don't want to see the "Oh God we suck just like we have for the past decade" laments that would clutter this and other Skins boards. I'm really getting tired of it. The damn team is observably far better than we've seen in years and few seem to get past the past enough to notice.

End of rant.

Damn good read, Boone.

This is a great opportunity for us to climb up the ladder of relevance, on the backs of a division foe, and simultaneously send that foe to the season's graveyard.

Like you, I believe we will.

And you're right, we must.

We're home, we're healthy, and they're not.

That means we have advantage by the nuts on a downhill pull. We need to drag it to the bottom, rip them puppies off, and spike'em in the endzone.

Hail Yes!!!

This is another game where the Redskins can announce to the world that, "yes indeed, we are for real and you will have to deal with us".

I look at the stats in our favor

The stats the Eagles have that favor us, like: Giving up almost 6.5 yards on inside runs (wow!)

But it doesn't matter. Because in the back of my mind, I know that Norvitis is there, waiting until the 4th quarter to raise his pock marked head and finding a way for us to lose this game.

I know..I know....Norv's been gone a long time but like termites, Norvitis seems to still exist in a forgotten foundation pillar in this house and just when I think we've gotten past that.....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU[/media]

I hope we absolutely smash the Eagles, I just don't have the confidence that we'll win, much less smash.

Great article Boone. :)

Boone, the one thing I am most afraid of with adopting your perspective is an overreaction if we were to lose. I have a perspective that's based on watching the Redskins change for the better and I am delighted with what I see so far. We have actually made more progress than I had expected at this point.

Maybe I am patient to a fault-I have been told this by many people throughout my life starting with my parents when I was a child-and maybe that's why I don't expect as much as quickly as many fans. I'd love to see us in the playoffs-even as a Wild Card-this season and frankly that would be way beyond what I thought was a realistic expectation-we've already exceeded that. But an 8-8 or 9-7 not-quite-in-the-playoffs season wouldn't be crushing, a mild "Well, gee woulda been nice but dammit next year we're there!" would be my reaction and so it is with the Iggles game. I agree we have a lot of factors in our favor-and, of course, some against-but I think the odds are in favor of a win and I would be tickled pink with that. I just don't want to see the "Oh God we suck just like we have for the past decade" laments that would clutter this and other Skins boards. I'm really getting tired of it. The damn team is observably far better than we've seen in years and few seem to get past the past enough to notice.

End of rant.

Oh yeah - you are absolutely right. Trust me, it won't matter what anyone's perspective is, Redskins fans will wildly overreact if we aren't able to win Sunday. I wish they (and I) all had your patience. I get tired too of the immediate withdrawal to the fortified position of 'we suck and we always will' mindset as well. That's the primary reason I see this as 'must win'. The Redskins have the chance to start purging themselves of the rep they've earned over most of the past 20 years.

Regardless of "realistic" probability, my Redskins' emotional orbit, for decades, has always been centered on a season record of 10-6.

My level of confidence vs. angst pretty much follows the curve as either number is approached.

Right now I'm pretty far from either end of the scale which allows the mind to drift into the realm divisional dominance if we beat Philly or a dogfight for the division if we lose.

Nice read Boone.

Here's hoping Carpe Dre-am does NOT turn into a crappy dream.

:)

This is another game where the Redskins can announce to the world that, "yes indeed, we are for real and you will have to deal with us".

The stats the Eagles have that favor us, like: Giving up almost 6.5 yards on inside runs (wow!)

But it doesn't matter. Because in the back of my mind, I know that Norvitis is there, waiting until the 4th quarter to raise his pock marked head and finding a way for us to lose this game.

I know..I know....Norv's been gone a long time but like termites, Norvitis seems to still exist in a forgotten foundation pillar in this house and just when I think we've gotten past that.....

I hope we absolutely smash the Eagles, I just don't have the confidence that we'll win, much less smash.

I cdall it the curse of Norv and their is only one way to (Gulp) get rid of it

I actually agree, but am less optimistic that we WILL win. as I said in the other thread, I honestly believe this is a watershed game because Haslett needs to prove that he can win these games, HUGE GAME AGAINST A REELING DIVISION RIVAL, huge impact on playoff chances. yes we are really in year one of a rebuild and not year two, but last season was whose fault exactly? who overestimated their own ability and the talent on the roster and tried to switch everything without getting new players? Haslett needs to show more, we all know he can motivate, but can he out plan? can he outscheme?

We are better than I thought we would be and we do need way more pieces to be the team we want, but this is year two in fact and we need to show tangible signs of improvement, beating the Fecals would be that sign imho. I am a harsh judge I admit, but the debacle last year validated my opinion, We are the fans who need to be won over, we arent gonna fall for the same old same old. We want to believe in our team, we just something to believe in.

Well put. This is exactly how I feel.

Here's to hoping Rex keeps up his undefeated record of 3-0 after the bye. :cheers:

I'm thinking that it will be important for the Redskins to get up on top of the Eagles early. Right now they are mentally fragile. If the 'skins can get on top and not let up I think many of the Eagles players will pack it in and give up. If it's a close game, well...I've seen too many lucky bounces go the Eagles way.

Agree on the fast start aspect of this game, both for the reason you cited (getting in their heads early), and because we want this game to be a ball-control, TOP game, not have to rely on an air show because we're down by 10 or more in the 2nd half.

If by fast start you mean putting up points on early drives, then yes, I can agree with that. However, against the Rams, Kyle seemed to want to score quickly and was taking a lot of unecessary risks, imo, including not running the damn ball enough. I want to see a patient offense that eliminates the unecessary risks and focuses on the ground game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.