• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

I Have Cured Hiccups.....You're Welcome

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
I swear I think I get them way more than normal people - at least a few times a week. Over the years, I have tried every old wives tale and home remedy I have ever heard or read online, and as any of you who have tried them know, they don't work. Some work for a minute or so, but the hiccups come back.

They irritate me so badly, that about a year ago I started researching all the information I could find about hiccups. Then I started to use logical thinking to try and come up with a way to cure them.

I learned two interesting things. As most of you know, hiccups are caused by contractions in the diaphragm. The diaphragm moves up and down under your lungs to help you breath. Certain actions such as your heart beat, your breathing, digestion and plenty of other things are controlled by the Vagus Nerve. The Vagus Nerve, one of 12 cranial nerves that has control of Glossopharyngeal Nerve which controls things such as your swallowing, pharync, larynx, etc. (which all in turn lead toward your diaphragm) is stimulated by glucose. The other interesting thing that occurred to me, is that since the diaphragm is a muscle, and heat soothes muscle spasms, then in theory combining heat and sugar should stop hiccups.

By pure luck, the very first thing I tried has worked not only on myself, but almost a dozen people I have gotten to try it. Nobody that has tried it yet has said anything other than how wonderful it is. Not only that, it works in less than 10 seconds, and it's not a temporary fix.

What you do is when you get hiccups, don't waste your time holding your breath or drinking water. Instead, get a glass of hot water (about 10 ounces) and mix in 4 spoonfuls of sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.

After it is mixed, chug that ****. No little girly sips, you have to slam it down like a shot of tequila. Then you get to marvel in amazement at the effectiveness.

I know some of you will read this and laugh, and I don't blame you. But if you're one of those people like me that gets hiccups way too often, and you get the hard ones that make you feel like you're taking a punch to the gut, you will learn to love this little miracle :laugh:

Oh, my kids love me for this too. If anyone does try this, let me know how it worked for you. Like I said, including myself there is a 12 for 12 success rate so far.

*****I do not recommend this if you are a diabetic, for reasons that are obvious.

thats good advice, its been my understanding that delivering sugar will relax everything involved in hiccups. Always worked for me, and I can totally see hot sugar water doing it. I can see the hot water helping too, it makes sense I wouldnt be adverse to trying it.

The best part of it all is that you don't drink it and wait around for it to work, it does it as you're drinking it. I love it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.