• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Recon: Troubled Times in Eagles Land

Redskins Recon

These are troubled times in the Land of Iggles Fans. Being 1-4 when you expected 4-1 or 5-0 from your team at this point will do that. So what's with...

More...

a few things, 1- the failure of the wide 9? actually they are doing pretty well with it, its the poor linebacker play and open field tackling thats been killing them.
2-taking the best man /press corner in the entire league and making him play mid zone and soft man is on par with our debacle last season.
3- Reid is actually a brilliant gameplanner, its gameday stuff where he is suspect., he does make good halftime adjustments but his clock management and his player judgement skills are suspect.
4-this will be the game where Haslett either proves himself or is exposed, its that simple, if they pound us, Haslett is done, if we spank them, he can remove much of the stigma from last years beatdown.

Interesting stuff Serv, thanks. I like the fact that there fans are feeling the desperation... it will make beating them even more fun.

Interesting stuff Serv, thanks. I like the fact that there fans are feeling the desperation... it will make beating them even more fun.

Thanks, G. I was trying to get a sense of the mood over there and it's not good.

Let's just try to make it a bit worse. :)

Awesome read serv....you definitely can feel the faint, rapid, panicking pulse of Eagle's Nation throughout. The irony, that they sound all the world like Redskins fans for the past decade, cannot be lost on any of us.

I cannot wait for Sunday - I think this is the biggest game of the Redskins season, not just the Eagles. We win, and we're the team to beat in the NFC East and in control of our own destiny the rest of the way.

That's going way overboard

really? Lets look at our defence right now.
against weak Olines and teams that have been smashed by injuries, we have looked pretty solid, we looked pretty good early in the season and havent had as many missed assignments or blown coverages but we still get caught in a rut with play calls and we havent had that dominant performance as a unit that shows we are fully turned around.

Last year coming off a bye week with lots of time to prepare a scheme, we laid an egg and took a harsh beatdown, we were exposed bigtime, we were out schemed, outplanned and outperformed by a division rival, if that happens again, it means Haslett hasnt learned anything, this game is huge for him after last years debacle, if he can outscheme Reid, he will win over most of the rest of us who are on the fence, if he gets beaten like a ginger stepchild again? we will continue to ignore any slight improvements and keep calling for a real DC.

Only problem with that theory Ryman is that we've had over 50% turnover on this squad. That's incredible in a single year. The plus side of that is we're a greatly improved, much more athletic and youthful team. The down side of that is that we're a much less experienced and seasoned team.

I'm not sure how anyone can reasonably ascertain (without being in the organization and having personal knowledge of what's going on every day) whether our suckage last year was all on Haslett, or personnel, or just what we should have expected with a new coach, unfamiliar players, and a totally different scheme. Neither do we know whether our greatly improved defense so far this year is due to Haslett rising to the occasion and doing a much better job, or different/better/younger/more athletic personnel, or an additional year (for those who were here last year) in the system.

As someone in the know once assured me 'The fans don't know. They think they do. But they don't'.

I don't see how one game in Haslett's 2nd year is a watershed moment.

I do respect you have a great deal of personal knowledge on this topic. But I also think you are overstating things a bit.

I think how the Redskins perform overall in this situation may tell us a little about how much of an organizational and cultural transformation the team has made - winning games you should win in other words - but even there, it's still just one game.

Living here in Eagles territory this week has been quite the experience. People have been coming up to me and shaking my hand, congratulating the Redskins on this upcoming win, acknowledging that their season is over, and being downright nice. Are you kidding me? I've told every single Eagles fan that their team is capable on winning on Sunday. Most are laughing and saying things like, "yeah, whatever - not gonna happen". Never seen anything like it.

Look, I'm hopeful that we can win and take major moves towards the NFCE crown, but nothing is certain in this game. I still have this uneasy feeling that the Eagles will come out swinging and manage to take this game.

Only problem with that theory Ryman is that we've had over 50% turnover on this squad. That's incredible in a single year. The plus side of that is we're a greatly improved, much more athletic and youthful team. The down side of that is that we're a much less experienced and seasoned team.

I'm not sure how anyone can reasonably ascertain (without being in the organization and having personal knowledge of what's going on every day) whether our suckage last year was all on Haslett, or personnel, or just what we should have expected with a new coach, unfamiliar players, and a totally different scheme. Neither do we know whether our greatly improved defense so far this year is due to Haslett rising to the occasion and doing a much better job, or different/better/younger/more athletic personnel, or an additional year (for those who were here last year) in the system.

As someone in the know once assured me 'The fans don't know. They think they do. But they don't'.

I don't see how one game in Haslett's 2nd year is a watershed moment.

I do respect you have a great deal of personal knowledge on this topic. But I also think you are overstating things a bit.

I think how the Redskins perform overall in this situation may tell us a little about how much of an organizational and cultural transformation the team has made - winning games you should win in other words - but even there, it's still just one game.

see, I see the turnover as an indictment of both Shanny and Haslett, how could they not know that over 50% of our players werent going to fit the system they wanted to run, AND THEN RUN IT ANYWAY WITH THE WRONG PLAYERS? Thats terrible talent evaluation and even worse adjusting.

I will say this, last years suckage was not all due to Haslett, but a lot of it was, this year we arent running so many unsound plays but we do get in a rut where he calls the same plays multiple times and thats on him. teams change schemes to improve, not down the road but immediately, teams that expect to take time to get better have YOUNG players , last year we lost with other peoples OLD castoffs, this year we are winning with our own young guys. I have always given credit to Haslett for being a great motivator, its his schemes and adjustments I dont care for. I honestly think if we go into Philly and get shiotcanned again, Haslett has got feel some pressure for his job, again coming off a week of extra time to prepare, he simply cannot afford to get outschemed again. year two is when you cant get any more excuses, he has the players that he wanted for the most part, now its up to him to use them and adjust.

That's sort of a ridiculous viewpoint Ryman. Shanahan and Allen obviously had watched the Redskins prior to coming in, but that's hardly the same as being on-site and assessing players close up and personal. Not to mention having been away from the game for a bit and likely (and understandably) needing some time to get their bearings. I think your comments are a pretty harsh assessment. And the idea that if the Redskins get shelled Sunday Haslett's job will (or should be) in jeopardy - well, it sounds kind of silly.

Again - I know you have some expertise, and I'm not questioning that at a detail level. But things take time. We're 4 games into year two. I think we can breathe a little bit before calling the experiment a failure.

BTW...this should probably be in another thread as this one is about what Philly fans think about their team in the Redskins. Let's not hijack it with a Haslett-referendum thread.

Ill make a thread lol, but Boone, if there really is that much dissent and trouble in Egale land, it means we should be even more angry if we lose to a team in that kind of a funk. I am enjoying the fact that this season we arent the PFT whipping boy every week lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.