• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Al Davis: Dead at Age 82

I seriously doubt that. They may feel a sense of 'relief' that they'll be starting a new era in Raiders Nation, but 'celebrate'? No way.

Davis became a caricature of himself over the past 10 years, but his legacy will be one of willing a franchise to some serious glory years. Even Raiders fans get that.

I know a lot of Raiders fans, and as a result I used to go talk smack on some of their sites a lot. The one common message every single fan that voiced it seemed to have was that they couldn't wait until he died so they could build a winner again. This was a statement a huge chunk of Raiders fans have been vocal about for years.

I always used to give them hell for it, because Al Davis is an icon, and this is just football and that they should never hope for the death of anyone. Then you go on their sites today, and see how everyone is spewing how they hate all the people that wished for this for years, and I have quotes from several of the ones saying how sad they are now, years ago talking about how they couldn't wait until he died.

All I can say is, to all the sick bastards that got their wish, I hope guilt eats at them for looking forward to this day. Al Davis was awesome, even if he was a bit eccentric. I wish more owners had the balls he did.

If that's true, Raiders fans have short memories. Al Davis made them one of the preeminent franchises in the NFL for many years. One could easily make the argument that he was one of the top two or three owners (in terms of significant accomplishments) in NFL history.

Sure, mocking Al became easy sport the last couple of years what with Heyward-Bey and Jarmarcus the Hut. But to ignore all he accomplished before the last couple of years is foolish.

RIP Al Davis, he's a true NFL legend. Anyone who is "happy" that he died just doesn't know the game of football.

It really is different thinking about the Raiders without Al running the show, I wonder how it was set up in his will and if there'll be a similar situation that Cooke left the Redskins in. Although something tells me there's no way Al would let the franchise out fo the family.

Football has lost one of it's most passionate ambassadors. RIP

SkinsOrlando, one of my first thoughts was wondering what his instructions will be. Hopefully he'll do a better job than Cooke did. He totally screwed the pooch with his cluster**** plan.

Intentionally, IMO.

Broncos fans here in Colorado aren't shedding any tears but they can't deny his legacy. I wonder if Shanahan will make any type of comment given his stormy history with Al.

That was a very moving post-game speech to his players, by Hue Jackson.
I had no idea Davis had such a deep emotional effect on his coaches and players/team.

On another subject, does anyone know how his will was set up - for who will take over the team, both short-term and long-term ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.