• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins have tryouts for Maroney, Balmer, Brown, Quinn, McCaskill, Compas

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1114353&nid=5776292&fhn=1

Redskins try out Laurence Maroney, Kentwan Balmer
by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, October 6, 2011

The Washington Redskins tried out former New England Patriots running back Laurence Maroney, according to a league source.

Maroney is a former Patriots starter who was cut by the Broncos after some legal problems in his hometown of St. Louis that have since been resolved.

The Redskins also auditioned former San Francisco 49ers first-round defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer, who has played for the Seattle Seahawks and the Carolina Panthers this year.

They also worked out former Panthers second-round defensive end Everette Brown, former Denver Broncos second-round tight end Richard Quinn and offensive linemen Nevin McCaskill and Jonathan Compas.

Pretty sure it's just due diligence, brother. Bye week gives the front office time to update their standby list of available players should anyone on the roster go down. Given our man Torain's injury history, I kind of like the idea of having an extra veteran RB or two fully vetted and ready to bring in should it become necessary. Same holds true for any position, really.

This happens on every team every year. We're just in the information age now, so we hear about every little transaction/workout/ice cream social. Remember last year or the year before when we brought JaMarcus "Sizzurp" Russel in for a workout? Nothing ever came of it, as is the case 99 times out of 100. Just 'kickin the tires' on some recently released guys. If we suffer an injury, its nice to have a profile on potential depth replacements.

As I understand it, it is not uncommon for this to happen on Tuesday's even during the week before a game.

Pretty sure it's just due diligence,.
This happens on every team every year. We're just in the information age now, so we hear about every little transaction/workout/ice cream social..
My take exactly, never hurts to have a book on who's available if the need should arise.

Haven't heard...ice cream social?
Wazzup with that? :betterwink:

We don't know how bad Hightower's shoulder is.

I don't like Maroney per se, but we might see Royster before the end of the year.

One of the players I do like is Everett Brown. He seems to have the size and skills to be a prospect DE.

One of the players I do like is Everett Brown. He seems to have the size and skills to be a prospect DE.

Brown is actually way undersized at 256, especially for 3-4 DE. That's why he slipped into the 2nd round despite 13.5 sacks at Florida State in 2008.

Depending on next couple of weeks, we could sign Maroney just before we play the Pats. Then the defensive coaches could debrief him on Pat's offensive schemes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.