• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Orakpo Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
Oct. 5, 2011

ORAKPO NAMED NFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

ASHBURN, VA – The National Football League announced today that Washington Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo has been named NFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in the Redskins’ 17-10 victory against the St. Louis Rams in Week 4.

Orakpo registered five tackles (four solo), two tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks and three quarterback hits against the Rams. The Redskins’ coaching staff also credited Orakpo with a forced fumble. His 2.5 sacks in the game represent the second-highest single-game sack total of his career and are the most by a Redskins player since he registered four sacks against the Oakland Raiders on Dec. 13, 2009.

The award marks the 32nd time a member of the Redskins has been named NFC Defensive Player of the Week since the NFL began awarding weekly honors in 1984. Orakpo is the team’s first winner since cornerback DeAngelo Hall earned the award after a four-interception performance against the Chicago Bears in Week 7 of the 2010 season.

Orakpo previously won weekly honors following Week 14 of the 2009 season while listed on the roster as a defensive end/linebacker. Prior to Orakpo, no Redskins linebacker had won the award since Ken Harvey following Week 13 in 1997. Orakpo is now one weekly honor shy of tying Wilbur Marshall for most by a linebacker in team history (three).

Orakpo, a two-time Pro Bowler, leads the Redskins in sacks this season with 3.5. The Redskins have 15 sacks on the season, tied with Philadelphia for most in the NFL. Orakpo has 23 career sacks, the fifth-most in the NFC and ninth-most in the NFL since he entered the league in 2009.

(Courtesy of the Washington Redskins)

Now that we have kerrigan and a much improved d line his play should continue to improve
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

It doesn't hurt that the kid got his award first.

Orakpo says, "Hey, don't forget about me homey!"

Competition breeds success.

It just makes me feel good having the Rak&Ryan Show available and ready for action each week. :)

As a practical matter, the increasing notoriety of the OLB's, as perceived in league circles, is leading to increased game-planning time being spent on neutralizing these two by opposing D's. Meaning, increased opportunities to make plays due to focus elsewhere are also flowing to other players.

Synergy baby. I like it.

Yup. And Bowen, Carriker, Cofield....JENKINS next year....will see more single blocking opportunities. The 3-4 feeds off OLB's who can bring it. We seem to have found a tandem of young aggressive pups who we can fit, find and build other parts around for years to come. Throw Landry into that mix, and we might just be onto something.

Just to add to that thought, Om, I find it notable that both Bowen and Carriker have more sacks this year than any D-lineman had all season last year...3 each. That is after just 4 games. I know it is dangerous to carry stats like that out over the season but consider that each is on pace is post more sacks for the season then entire Redskin D-lines have produced in recent years.

Heck fellas, when was the last time our D was in the top 5 or 10 for sacks, much tied for #1 in the league like it currently is?

Om, that is a major reason we're tied for the lead in sacks with 15.

Seven different Redskins have been part of this.

The odd thing is that neither NFL, ESPN, or Pro-Football Reference individual sack counts add up to 15 but they all credit the same players.

The counts below are from NFL.com

Brian Orakpo--3.5

Ryan Kerrigan--2.5

Stephen Bowen--2.5

Adam Carriker--2.5

Chris Neild--1.5

Rocky McIntosh--1`.0

London Fletcher--0.5

The point, however, is that Om's right in that our bookend OLBs are opening things up for others to do some QB hunting as well.

Always a good thing.

Another thing-I'm aware that it is extremely unlikely that this pace set during the first four games will be able to be maintained all season long-some teams will go to Max-protect, some will concentrate on Rak and Ryan, some just have really talented OLs, any number of adjustments will be made by other teams to compensate for this so be prepared to see these number change somewhat. The neat part is that it isn't going to be easy at all for other teams to stop.

We may have just found our next Mann/Manley.

Actually, I'm going to go ahead and hope that they are BETTER! Its been a long time since we had two feared edge rushers. A very long time.

serv...someone needs to tell Cofield to stop being such a slacker!!!

we aren't dominant....but this is an amazing one year turn-around.

Haslett deserves a lot of credit, particularly given the incredible amount of criticism he took last year.

I think maybe I will wait to say rak has arrived until he has a game like that against an Oline that isnt one of the 5 worst in the NFL, I said before the game that Rak might break out against the Rams because they may have the worst bookends in the NFL on oline right now. Its great that he lit them up, but I want to see him play like that against a good oline. right now I am still more excited about Kerrigan and shockingly Carriker.

Pretty nice, especially considering he's held on almost every play

He finally beat his blocker inside, and I saw quite a few bull rushes as well. Skins fans have been begging him to do something other than the speed rush around the corner resulting in a non holding call hold.

My hope is he continues to mix up his rush and make the OL guess. Even if he favors the outside speed rush, the OL will still have to respect the inside rush.

Success could lead to success. Orakpo seeing the other moves work may just try them again. I do wonder if one reason for all the outside rushes is contain responsibility though.

Man, I simply cannot WAIT until we've got Kerrigan, Carriker, Cofield, Jenkins & Orakpo all on the same field. My goodness...if Shanahan hits on the QB of the future - hold onto your hats, people!

actually Gbear, he bull rushes a high percentage of the time, its the speed rushes to the outside COMBINED WITH A MOVE that I am waiting to see. He has always feasted on weaker Otackles, didnt he have a 4 sack game once against the raiders? anyway, his game is based on power and he gets held a lot because he tries to often to go through the man. the reason you see guys like Ware come untouched so often is they go wide then come inside hard, then stutter step and keep olinemen guessing. Rak just beats on them, and if its a weaker OT he literally just tosses them around, even strong guys are shocked by his power I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.