• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Is He Hightower?

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
I'll say one thing about this year's team. They ain't shy.

Forget NFC East title; Hightower see 'Skins in Super Bowl
By Dan Hanzus NFL.com
Published: Oct. 4, 2011 at 08:43 p.m.
Updated: Oct. 5, 2011 at 10:34 a.m.

It was cute in a babies-playing-with-puppies kind of way when Rex Grossman said in August that the Washington Redskins would win the NFC East.

We believe the nation's collective thought process at the time was, "Do the math, Rexy. How can the 'Skins possibly win the division when the Philadelphia Eagles go 16-0?"

These were more innocent times.

But here we are, at the quarter pole of the NFL season, with the Redskins 3-1 and atop the division. Of course, it was just a matter of time before another Washington player doubled down on Grossman's comments. Enter Tim Hightower.

Asked by Comcast SportsNet Washington if he was planning to have fun during the Redskins' bye week, Hightower said he'd be busy receiving treatment on his shoulder. The good times, according to the running back, won't come for a few months.

"Fun will be in February when you guys are interviewing us up in Indy," Hightower said. "That will be fun."

Indy ... as in Indianapolis ... as in the location of Lucas Oil Stadium ... as in the host site of Super Bowl XLVI? Wow.

"Very bold prediction," Hightower said, "but I'm going to stand by it."

Move over, Eagles. There's a new dream team on the block.

Keep dreamin' Hightower. I think he's engaging in some form of guided imagery, first you have to see it in your mind's eye...

This is non-news - every player on every competitive team should say or at least be thinking something similar.

Sure it's newsy. If every player DID actually say something like that every day, it'd be on NFL.com. Interestingly, the only player in the league who did yesterday was our man Tim.

Hence, news. Funny how it comes in all shapes and sizes.

This is non-news - every player on every competitive team should say or at least be thinking something similar.
Exactly.

What should he say? "We have no chance of even making the playoffs, so why not tank the season so we can draft Luck."

Yeah ... gotta disagree. It's different thinking 'we have a chance to get there' and actually proclaiming it as a belief. I don't really have a problem with it - as others have said if players don't believe it can happen, that's a problem. But you don't typically hear guys putting that kind of thing out there when your team has barely sniffed the playoffs over the past 20 years.

The only difference in this scenario is that Hightower volunteered the prediction - if a reporter asked any player on a competing team right now, they would all give an answer something like (only varying in levels of self-assurance):

"We feel that we have the depth & talent to be playing in Indy in February."

I agree it's news, I just don't see any problem with it. Might even make some of our opponents laugh and say, "Them guys are a ****ing joke", and actually approach playing us that way.

Which is exactly what we want them to do.

That's it exactly, LL. This wasn't TH reponding to a direct question, it was apparently volunteered. Not something you expect necessarily from a platoon RB on a 3-1 team that hasn't sniffed contender air in over 20 years.

Love the confidence. Just kinda wish it was of the quiet, internal variety for the time being.

I'll give him a pass if he breaks a couple against the Iggs in 2 weeks tho. :cool:

That's it exactly, LL. This wasn't TH reponding to a direct question, it was apparently volunteered. Not something you expect necessarily from a platoon RB on a 3-1 team that hasn't sniffed contender air in over 20 years.

Love the confidence. Just kinda wish it was of the quiet, internal variety for the time being.

I'll give him a pass if he breaks a couple against the Iggs in 2 weeks tho. :cool:

I can see that - I just don't happen to agree. :) I love that our team keeps saying things like "leaving points on the field," and "when you're covering us in Indy in February." As you said, its been quite awhile since a Redskins team had any kind of swagger (at least any that was deserved).

Tim needs to focus on hitting the holes and creases instead of trying to bounce outside everytime first...then he can talk all he wants....dude has been s beast blocking though
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Hightower is averaging under 4.0 per carry and has been replaced by Torain who came in and was immediately effective.

Maybe if Hightower makes it to Indy the irony will be that he is at that time a bench player?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Yeah ... gotta disagree. It's different thinking 'we have a chance to get there' and actually proclaiming it as a belief. I don't really have a problem with it - as others have said if players don't believe it can happen, that's a problem. But you don't typically hear guys putting that kind of thing out there when your team has barely sniffed the playoffs over the past 20 years.

One thing to keep in mind Boone. This is a different Redskins team than what we have known-or at least is in the process of becoming a different team than the one we have known. Historical performance may be becoming less relevant in estimating what this team can do.:)

I'd prefer my team wins THEN talks. 3-1 is so far from being in a position to start blowing your own horn that I'm not a fan of it. Love the confidence though.

I love the attitude. It's been refreshing to know that this team totally believes in what they can accomplish and isn't afraid to say it. Let everyone else laugh, just go out and handle business.

As they say on skinscast, "Why not the Redskins?!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.