• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WHy Do People Think A Degree In Anything Makes You An Expert In Everything?

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
I run into people like this all the time. You'll get in an argument with someone, and they will come back with, "well, I have a college degree." The fact their degree has nothing at all to do with the topic of discussion is apparently completely irrelevant to them.

My wife is one example. She has a BS in Political Science. As a result, she likes to portray herself as a Historian when arguing with people, when half the things that come out of her mouth are total bull****. We will argue, I will pull up something online to prove her wrong, then she'll act like I misunderstood her.

Today though, I met a woman who takes the cake. My mom is about 80 lbs overweight. She is also 54 years old, a total wuss, she sits down at least 12 hours a day, she eats fast food three meals a day, and she's an alcoholic insomniac.

She has realized that she needs to get her ass in gear and try to make an effort to get into shape, so she posted a plea on facebook asking for suggestions. I told her sleep more to increase her metabolism, quit eating fast food completely, eat fresh foods as often as possible instead of prepared or processed foods, quit or drastically cut back on her beer consumption, and get some form of exercise, even if it's just a little bit. I then told her that if she doesn't do all of that, she will never lose a pound.

So a friend of hers with a Master's Degree in disease prevention emails me and basically says I'm full of ****. She says you don't need to exercise or increase physical activity to lose weight, you just need to alter your diet. She told my mom that she can still eat fast food, just as long as she cuts back a little. She also told her 1 or two beers a night is not a factor, lack of sleep doesn't slow down your metabolism, and fried food is ok as long as you don't eat it every day. She literally said as long as my mom cuts back a little here and there and adds some fruits and vegetables to her diet, she won't have to change anything else, and she can still lose weight. Then she said I have a degree in disease prevention, I know more about this subject than you do. Wtf? Really lady?

The fact that this idiot appears to be 50-60 lbs overweight herself doesn't help her argument any.

Then my mom, love her to death but she's dumber than a box of rocks, tells me to stay out of it, and that her friend wouldn't steer her wrong. A friend who she has only ever met online. Then she tells me the lady has a degree in the field, so she knows what she's talking about. Nevermind the fact that decades of scientific and medical research has proven the lady is completely full of ****. I also had to get certified in nutritional education in the Army and for the Department Of Corrections due to their health regulations, and I had to take a 2 week course in dietary nutrition after we applied for food stamps. Oh yeah, common sense should come into play somewhere in there as well.

But she has a degree in disease prevention, and obesity is a disease now, so she knows more than me and every scientist and doctor that has ever studied weight loss and exercise. Facepalm x 1000.

Well, I have a degree in religion so eat less and you'll be fine! :laugh:

I run into people like this all the time. You'll get in an argument with someone, and they will come back with, "well, I have a college degree."

The rest of your post aside- I cannot remember that ever happening to me.

The rest of your post aside- I cannot remember that ever happening to me.
Do you debate or argue with people a lot? If not, it wouldn't be likely to happen. My thing is, if I hear someone talking out of their ass, and I know for a fact they're talking out of their ass, I call them out on it. I never have been one to bite my tongue. Where I live, a very high percentage of people have college degrees, so they tend to use that to fall back on when they're getting their ass handed to them in an argument. Then I let them in on the fact that I have one too, but it doesn't make me an expert in something completely unrelated to the debate.

The funniest thing is, it's not really recent or younger grads that do this, it's old school educated folks. Maybe it's something to do with the assumption that a lot of older people have that everyone younger than them is an idiot.

Do you debate or argue with people a lot? If not, it wouldn't be likely to happen.

I probably discuss, converse, and debate with people face-to-face more than most considering what I do for a living. Also, in my social life, I am a true political moderate surrounded by staunch conservative right-wingers. (A product of the neighborhood I reside in.)

I, however, rarely move into the area of 'argument' or 'arguing' as I define the meaning. To me that means from heated discussion on up to rudeness and belligerence. I don't suffer those well who do a poor job of managing themselves. Unless it's life or death, I just wouldn't care that much. On the rare occasion, usually alcohol-fueled ones, I've been known to slice and dice with the best of them. Although it never takes much effort to shame them into submission. :)

Overall I find those that regularly get into true arguments, by my definition, don't have very much worthwhile to offer. Like Limbaugh and Beck sycophants in political discussions.

Either way, pulling the degree-card has never happened. Is that a regular occurrence for others here?

Playing the credentials card is generally pretty annoying regardless of the credentials in question.

I've also heard this go the opposite way, where someone will assume that because you have a degree, you must be an expert on everything. If something comes up and you don't have an answer for it, they'll say, "you have a college degree? You should know these things."

It's like yeah, I'm sorry to break it to you, but I don't have a degree in the inner workings of the homeowners association lol.

Chris, I just checked out some census info and think I may have found why I hear this a lot and you haven't heard it. The data shows that there are currently 67,000 people in Deerfield Beach. In Virginia Beach, there are 172,000 people that have at least an Associate's Degree. We have nearly 3 times as many people with degrees as Deerfield has people. And here, they're all cocky bastards. It probably explains why the credentials angle is argued so much here.

Last edited:
there's book smarts and there's street smarts. both are equally important when discussing something. you can read about something all you want but if you cant say youve experienced it as well you are limited in what you can actually talk about.

same goes for street smarts. you may be living it out there but you arent knowledgable on what the actual rules and history of it all.
Exactly. I currently live in Green Run, where a lot of people have both. You talk about a crazy combination to have. I grew up running with the hoodrats in the area, doing drugs, selling drugs, getting in fights, etc. Then I grew up, joined the military, got educated, etc. It's a good combination of skills to have, and I can say from my experience that I truly believe if **** were to hit the fan in this country, the folks with street smarts will last a lot longer than people who built their entire life around their education and trust funds.

Chris, I just checked out some census info and think I may have found why I hear this a lot and you haven't heard it. The data shows that there are currently 67,000 people in Deerfield Beach. In Virginia Beach, there are 172,000 people that have at least an Associate's Degree. We have nearly 3 times as many people with degrees as Deerfield has people. And here, they're all cocky bastards. It probably explains why the credentials angle is argued so much here.

Not really an apples to apples comparison.

Our cities and towns are generally smaller and run back to back. Broward County, of which we are a part, has a population of 1,748,000 in an area that encompasses 471 sq. miles. Va. Beach has a population of approx. 438,000 in an area that encompasses 497 sq. miles.

Undoubtedly more degrees per capita there though, our immigrant population alone out-numbers your total population. Plus, a great portion of your old cocky bastards will most likely end up here as well someday. :)

Not really an apples to apples comparison.

Our cities and towns are generally smaller and run back to back. Broward County, of which we are a part, has a population of 1,748,000 in an area that encompasses 471 sq. miles. Va. Beach has a population of approx. 438,000 in an area that encompasses 497 sq. miles.

Undoubtedly more degrees per capita there though, our immigrant population alone out-numbers your total population. Plus, a great portion of your old cocky bastards will most likely end up here as well someday. :)
Very likely, especially with the very high Jewish population we have. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later, they're starting to get too old to drive. It's about time they become someone elses problem :laugh:

I think you are both right on some of the weight loss stuff. i know shge is wrong on one or 2 things and you dont need to exercise to lose weight

You can go to college and get an agricultural business degree and not even know the slightest idea how a farm works by the time you graduate.

Um ... I have a college degree?

In what Henry?? In what? Because we are talking about narcisicism here, so unless you have a degree in astro-physics or agriculture, I don't see how you could possibly be qualified to speak on the subject.

What makes you so qualified to judge him huh? I'm talking to YOU Goaldeje! I guess you think you're just better than us don't you? :laugh:

What makes you so qualified to judge him huh? I'm talking to YOU Goaldeje! I guess you think you're just better than us don't you? :laugh:

Well, yes. I have degrees in English and Art History. So naturally I think I am perfectly well qualified to speak about the group psychosis here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.