• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The 1st Quarter?

perhaps, but when he ran side to side on at least one PR he was pretty easily chased down. Hope I'm wrong. I like the kid.

fansince62 said:
you don't know if the playcalling has been suspect cuz you don't know:

- what KS has been trying to set up

- what limitations KS feels like he has been working with

We don't know much of anything because we're not in practices, the locker room, or on the sidelines. But setting that aside, I think Kyle Shanahan has made some extremely questionable calls, particularly the past 2 weeks. I'm surprised you'd argue that. And I'd argue your second point - it's exactly the coaching staff's job to take into account our weaknesses (including limitations of individual players) and gameplan and call schemes and plays that minimize and mitigate those things. These coaches CHOSE the players we have (or at least chose to keep them and play them) - they must believe they have some strengths that can be taken advantage of.

I get *some* of what I think you're saying. You have to be able to rely on your QB in critical situations, and it makes it tough on the coaches when the guy you have in there can't always be relied on. Grossman has made serious errors in judgment two weeks running, along with some great plays. I do think we over-rate our WRs. Beyond Moss, Gaffney is okay, but really, what do we have. And even Cooley and Davis disappear for large portions of the game. We don't have many weapons even if we did have a great QB.

One final thought - something servumtuum has said repeatedly and which I think what we'd all agree on is, 3-1 or not, this team does not yet have anything like all of the pieces in place yet.

We need a bonafide NFL franchise QB (or a youngster who has the potential to be one). We don't yet have a dominating offensive line and have several holes there. Our only truly first tier WR is getting older, and there's no proven replacement or even real #2 threat on the roster (or if there is ***cough***Hankerson***cough*** he hasn't demonstrated that ability yet), and our secondary is far from intimidating. That's just for starters.

So whatever we, as fans, experience this year, we'd be wise to keep reminding ourselves.

It's an NFL journey we're on. An exciting start, but we don't yet have the team in place to reach anything like the Promised Land.

We don't know much of anything because we're not in practices, the locker room, or on the sidelines. But setting that aside, I think Kyle Shanahan has made some extremely questionable calls, particularly the past 2 weeks. I'm surprised you'd argue that. And I'd argue your second point - it's exactly the coaching staff's job to take into account our weaknesses (including limitations of individual players) and gameplan and call schemes and plays that minimize and mitigate those things. These coaches CHOSE the players we have (or at least chose to keep them and play them) - they must believe they have some strengths that can be taken advantage of.

I get *some* of what I think you're saying. You have to be able to rely on your QB in critical situations, and it makes it tough on the coaches when the guy you have in there can't always be relied on. Grossman has made serious errors in judgment two weeks running, along with some great plays. I do think we over-rate our WRs. Beyond Moss, Gaffney is okay, but really, what do we have. And even Cooley and Davis disappear for large portions of the game. We don't have many weapons even if we did have a great QB.

coming to agree with you on WRs. I had higher hopes. Only Santana routinely produces.

I think kyle is trying to establish confidense in his recievers and QB the only way to do that is through the air and other unconvential methods every says we should have run on 3rd and 1 but there is no guarentee we get it. both the rams and dallas have weak secondarys so its only natural to attack those areas i think once the offense is insync this team could roll

You asked how happy and confident we are in the 3-1 start. Happy, yes. Confident, no. I won't be able to be confident in this team until they show some consistency, especially on offense. Rex Grossman is Jeckyll and Hyde, and I never know who will show up from one series to the next. The defense is much improved but still seems vulnerable to a good passer. Until these areas become more reliable, it will be impossible to be confident in this team.

One other item, do we have a third receiver on this team? The ball seems to go to Moss, Gaffney or one of the TEs and RBs. How many balls have been thrown to and caught by other receivers?

OK, to answer my own question I looked it up. Armstrong has 4 catches and Stallworth has 2. That's 6 out of 83 completions. That needs to improve. I thought Niles Paul got onto the field for a few plays this past game, still no catches though.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=WAS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.